Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187801 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #945 on: December 24, 2010, 11:26:00 am »

If anybody sticks to the letter of the Bible, then it's Jehova's witnesses. Besides, what does even "the original intent" mean?

Not really. They aren't exactly private with their religion.

Edit: Not only that but they completely reject the Holy Trinity. Not very Christian.
The "holy trinitity" is nowhere in the holy books. This was completely made up by later christians.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 24, 2010, 11:28:40 am »

The idea of Christianity is completely based on the Holy Trinity.

G-d, J-sus, and the Holy Ghost are all mentioned in Mathew.

I believe that you don't know what you are talking about.

That's the kindest way to put it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2010, 11:41:26 am »

The idea of a trinity is mentioned nowhere, however. That's organized later by the church. Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost are all in there, but they aren't talked of like they're all the same being-except-not-really-its-rather-ambiguous-either-way.

Wouldn't Christianity be more based off of Judaism, or at least the death of Jesus, than the trinity?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 24, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »

Yeah.  It was an idea which the Romans came up with in order to try and get some internal consistency.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 24, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

The idea of a trinity is mentioned nowhere, however. That's organized later by the church. Jesus, God, and the Holy Ghost are all in there, but they aren't talked of like they're all the same being-except-not-really-its-rather-ambiguous-either-way.

Wouldn't Christianity be more based off of Judaism, or at least the death of Jesus, than the trinity?

Christianity was pretty much Judaism but with a Trinity.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 24, 2010, 01:42:35 pm »

reread what you quoted, and figure what you added. Does it add anything, discredit anything, or further the conversation in any way? By the way, technically all you have to believe in order to be a christian is.. that Jesus of Nazereth existed. Then you need to profess to follow his teachings. It's generally accepted that he was holy, but even that's not a requirement, let alone believing that he was also god and a ghost (both of which he never said and often contradicted).
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #951 on: December 24, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »

reread what you quoted, and figure what you added. Does it add anything, discredit anything, or further the conversation in any way? By the way, technically all you have to believe in order to be a christian is.. that Jesus of Nazereth existed. Then you need to profess to follow his teachings. It's generally accepted that he was holy, but even that's not a requirement, let alone believing that he was also god and a ghost (both of which he never said and often contradicted).
I don't think that anybody denies that Jesus existed as a PERSON (for the most part anyway, never assume...). Whether or not he was or was not a prophet or son of God or what have you is what is debated.

And yes, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are really close. I think we established this already, but whatever. Two people that matter to them, Muhammad (or however you spell his name), and Jesus. To Jews and Muslims, Jesus was a prophet (or something approximately equivalent. To Christians and Jews, Muhammad... I'm not sure, but they don't follow his teachings (or at least don't follow them as much or something).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 24, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

I don't think that anybody denies that Jesus existed as a PERSON (for the most part anyway, never assume...).
I'm not convinced. I have yet to see a non-Biblical source that shows Jesus's existance, and while I've heard they exist no one has ever actually shown me them. Plus, Jesus's story and acts are simmilar to earliar myths. The fraction of the story which seems to be utterly fictional leads me to believe that he very well may have not existed at all. However, this is all just nit-picking, as it doesn't really matter to me if he was a real person or not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 24, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »

I think there was a roman legal document or something. anyway, i don't doubt he existed, i just doubt he ever professed anything, or everything, that is attributed to to him, neither he nor his apostles ever wrote anything, and any account of his words and actions were written generations after he died. besides jesus wasn't exceptional, he was a disciple of john the baptist, who was just one of the many prophets of his time, and jesus thought it might be fun to start a sect of his own, then his apostles each did the same, and by the fourth century there were so many christian sects that the roman emperor himself though that it might be fun to make a state sponsored one, and compiled a book with his favourite texts.
I'd guess many of jesus teachings were actually someone else's teachings till somebody decided jesus was coller

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 24, 2010, 04:40:25 pm »

I think there was a roman legal document or something. anyway, i don't doubt he existed, i just doubt he ever professed anything, or everything, that is attributed to to him, neither he nor his apostles ever wrote anything, and any account of his words and actions were written generations after he died. besides jesus wasn't exceptional, he was a disciple of john the baptist, who was just one of the many prophets of his time, and jesus thought it might be fun to start a sect of his own, then his apostles each did the same, and by the fourth century there were so many christian sects that the roman emperor himself though that it might be fun to make a state sponsored one, and compiled a book with his favourite texts.
I'd guess many of jesus teachings were actually someone else's teachings till somebody decided jesus was coller
That would be an interesting document to see. I've never heard of a source outside of the standard gospels (and the gospels that weren't included into the bible too). I don't think he tried to start his own sect by the way. That was done for him by his followers. It was... I think Paul that is credited with that? I don't remember, but I'm sure one of you intelligent people knows.

Anyways, I have heard there isn't as much evidence for him as there are for most prominent figures (Like there are for Herod or the emperor of Rome), but I still think there is little reason to doubt. His apostles wrote quite a few texts about him relatively shortly after he died (ok, several years if not decades, even if they don't all agree or make much sense). If a dozen or so people claim to have followed some obscure messiah though (among several in that time and place), then I think it's safe to say he at least existed.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 24, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »

His apostles wrote quite a few texts about him relatively shortly after he died (ok, several years if not decades, even if they don't all agree or make much sense).

there's no reason to believe that any of the gospels were actually written by any of them.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 24, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »

J-sus was not G-d. J-sus was not a ghost. G-d was not a ghost. And the Holy Ghost was not G-d or J-sus.

They were equal parts. And the Holy Ghost I would say is a misleading name. The Holy Spirit is better.

J-sus was a Rabbi. In short. Simply a Rabbi. So I guess that would make him unexceptional to non Christians.

I don't think that anybody denies that Jesus existed as a PERSON (for the most part anyway, never assume...). Whether or not he was or was not a prophet or son of God or what have you is what is debated.

And yes, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are really close. I think we established this already, but whatever. Two people that matter to them, Muhammad (or however you spell his name), and Jesus. To Jews and Muslims, Jesus was a prophet (or something approximately equivalent. To Christians and Jews, Muhammad... I'm not sure, but they don't follow his teachings (or at least don't follow them as much or something).

To most Jews J-sus was the greatest (And therefor worst), of the false prophets. To Muslims he has a role similar to the Old Testament in Christianity. Christians and Jews usually believe that Islam is a false religion.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 24, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »

I don't think that anybody denies that Jesus existed as a PERSON (for the most part anyway, never assume...).
I'm not convinced. I have yet to see a non-Biblical source that shows Jesus's existance, and while I've heard they exist no one has ever actually shown me them. Plus, Jesus's story and acts are simmilar to earliar myths. The fraction of the story which seems to be utterly fictional leads me to believe that he very well may have not existed at all. However, this is all just nit-picking, as it doesn't really matter to me if he was a real person or not.

There are a few sources but they're written quite a while after when his death was supposed to occur. Perhaps most commonly cited are the Jewish-scholar Josephus's accounts, both the Testimonium Flavianum and the James passage. There is also a mention by the Roman historian Tacitus with regards to a fire Nero blamed on the Christians. All of them have issues however, and I do not put stock in the Josephus versions.

The Testimonium for instance has the following recorded:

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

There are some huge problems with this text, namely because Josephus remained Jewish and didn't convert to Christianity despite apparently acknowledging a miracle, the fulfillment of prophecy, and in general to ridiculous falling over to praise Jesus. Similarly there is also the usage of Christ. Christ isn't a last name, it's a title for the Anointed One. The Messiah. This peculiarity is found in all 3 mentioned texts.

Most scholars think that the Testimonium is only partially interpolated and that the true text was more like this, although there is still disagreement in many directions:

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man...For he was one who performed paradoxical deeds and was the teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews [and many Greeks?]. He was [called] the Christ. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him...And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

Next is the other Josephus account. Supposedly describing James the brother of Jesus.

And now Caesar, upon hearing the death of Festus, sent Albinus into Judea, as procurator. But the king deprived Joseph of the high priesthood, and bestowed the succession to that dignity on the son of Ananus, who was also himself called Ananus. Now the report goes that this eldest Ananus proved a most fortunate man; for he had five sons who had all performed the office of a high priest to God, and who had himself enjoyed that dignity a long time formerly, which had never happened to any other of our high priests. But this younger Ananus, who, as we have told you already, took the high priesthood, was a bold man in his temper, and very insolent; he was also of the sect of the Sadducees, who are very rigid in judging offenders, above all the rest of the Jews, as we have already observed; when, therefore, Ananus was of this disposition, he thought he had now a proper opportunity. Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done; they also sent to the king, desiring him to send to Ananus that he should act so no more, for that what he had already done was not to be justified; nay, some of them went also to meet Albinus, as he was upon his journey from Alexandria, and informed him that it was not lawful for Ananus to assemble a sanhedrin without his consent. Whereupon Albinus complied with what they said, and wrote in anger to Ananus, and threatened that he would bring him to punishment for what he had done; on which king Agrippa took the high priesthood from him, when he had ruled but three months, and made Jesus, the son of Damneus, high priest

It is the bolded part which causes people to believe this text refers to the Christian Jesus. However, I'm of the mind that that small bit was an interpolation since the entire piece flows together better when Ananus's punishment was to be replaced by the brother of the man he just had stoned to death.

Finally there is the Roman historian Tacitus. He is reporting on a fire and Nero's reaction to blame the Christians for the deed.

Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite punishments on a class hated for their disgraceful acts, called Chrestians by the populace. Christ, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind. Mockery of every sort was added to their deaths. Covered with the skins of beasts, they were torn by dogs and perished, or were nailed to crosses, or were doomed to the flames and burnt, to serve as a nightly illumination, when daylight had expired.

Besides the strange reference to Christ as a name, this is the account that most convinces me that a Christian Jesus (of some sort) did exist in reality.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 24, 2010, 08:19:12 pm »

J-sus was not G-d. J-sus was not a ghost. G-d was not a ghost. And the Holy Ghost was not G-d or J-sus.

They were equal parts. And the Holy Ghost I would say is a misleading name. The Holy Spirit is better.
Jesus, Urist, stop doing that "-" thingy. If the Pope* doesn't mind saying "God" and "Jesus" out loud, then neither should you. You come off as some over-zelous wacko.
Damn, how do you think the apostles would have talked to their flocks if they were to be equally cryptic and evasive?
(and there's a glaring lack of consistency - you should at least write "H-ly Gh-st")

Also, if you believe that Christianity's dogma says that each of the entities comprising the Trinity is 1/3rd of God, then you've got your beliefs wrong(heretic, I could say, if I were to spark a flaming outburst).
God, Christ and the Holy Spirit are each 100% God, yet there is no three separate gods. The difference seems subtle, but that's actually a very important distinction, if you want to believe in a concept of a trinity, and still believe in just one god.

*I'm happily assuming you being of the Catholic denomination.

ed: I'm pretty sure there's at least one horribad usage of tenses in there, but I just don't know how to fix it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:27:32 pm by Il Palazzo »

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 24, 2010, 11:36:49 pm »

I am not Catholic nor do I even recognize the Pope as picked by G-d. And I guess I should right it "H-ly Sp-rit".

If I come off as an over zealous wacko then so be it.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 194