Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187745 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #915 on: December 23, 2010, 07:52:39 am »

Stomp on homosexual rights? Since when? I as a Christian am offended by that. You're just applying offensive stereotypes to Christians as a whole. Please. Don't do that. And I just want to say, both men and women were stoned. It was necessary for G-d to apply justice to the Jews. But please. Stop being so offensive.

Leviticus 20 - 13

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 23, 2010, 08:30:01 am »

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 23, 2010, 12:18:39 pm »

Ah, but that's formal education.  Learning it from your family, growing up in the church, is NOT "religious education", that's "religious indoctrination".
Yeah, for us, RE was more about religious tolerance and understanding than anything else.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 23, 2010, 12:24:37 pm »

Stomp on homosexual rights? Since when? I as a Christian am offended by that. You're just applying offensive stereotypes to Christians as a whole. Please. Don't do that. And I just want to say, both men and women were stoned. It was necessary for G-d to apply justice to the Jews. But please. Stop being so offensive.

Leviticus 20 - 13

I love when Jewish laws that were superceded following the death of Christ are used to paint Christians as evil.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:34 pm »

I would imagine when they are being used currently as a justification of hate they become fair game.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:44 pm »

It's still consitered part of the christian bible, so technicly speaking it does count. Plus, last I bothered to check, most christian wackjobs who scream about homosexuals being evil point to said passage as proof.

Also, as a side note, why do people put 'G-d' to avoid putting 'god'? I know you're not supposed to his his name in vain, but the word 'God' was made up so you could talk about him without saying his name! Yahweh, I think that's how it would be spelled, is his name.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: December 23, 2010, 12:33:00 pm »

Wait, "Taking the lords name in vain" counts for things other then Oh My God?

Huh.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: December 23, 2010, 12:35:04 pm »

I love when Jewish laws that were superceded following the death of Christ are used to paint Christians as evil.
I'd like to know where you get the idea that the old Jewish laws were no longer considered to be in effect after Christ's death, given that Jesus says: "I have come not to abolish the law, but to fufill it."-Matthew 5:17
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: December 23, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »

Technicly speaking any use of his name is consitered 'in vain', hence the 'nickname', for lack of a better term, 'god'.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: December 23, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »

To be fair, Jesus was somewhat contradictory on the subject of whether the old laws should be followed or not.  Probably just the apostles putting words in his mouth based on their own preferences.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:44 pm »

I would be lying of I didn't know that Leviticus required homosexuals to be stoned. I would also be lying if I didn't say that the teachings of J-sus didn't require people to not stone them.

It's still consitered part of the christian bible, so technicly speaking it does count. Plus, last I bothered to check, most christian wackjobs who scream about homosexuals being evil point to said passage as proof.

Also, as a side note, why do people put 'G-d' to avoid putting 'god'? I know you're not supposed to his his name in vain, but the word 'God' was made up so you could talk about him without saying his name! Yahweh, I think that's how it would be spelled, is his name.

I consider the name of G-d to be too holy to write down. And I will not say YHWH. It's a Jewish thing.

Wait, "Taking the lords name in vain" counts for things other then Oh My God?

Huh.

Taking the L-rd's name in vain means like swearing an oath on his name.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:02:19 pm by Urist is dead tome »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: December 23, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

I would also be lying if I didn't say that the teachings of J-sus didn't require people to not stone them.

I would also be lying if I said that the teachings of J-sus required people to not stone them.

Just clearing up some of that atrocious overuse of negatives. Did you mean to say what you said? Because if so, there MAY be an argument pending.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: December 23, 2010, 02:02:53 pm »

Oh I meant it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: December 23, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »

I'd like to know where you get the idea that the old Jewish laws were no longer considered to be in effect after Christ's death, given that Jesus says: "I have come not to abolish the law, but to fufill it."-Matthew 5:17
The same place they came up with the idea that Jesus is god, even though he explicitly says several times that he is not. not all christians believe either of these thigns by the way. The mormons, for example, believe that the trinity is 3 seperate entities. They also solve the problem of old vs new by saying (a) the old scripture wasn't written for our time and (b) it was mishandled when it was compiled and translated. The original prophet even said that the Song of Solomon wasn't inspired by god, and technically shouldn't even be in there. They keep it only because they don't have a "perfect" scripture.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: December 23, 2010, 04:03:01 pm »

Ironicly both the jewish holy books and the christian ones have had things that where 'inappropriate' removed completely, like they never existed. Yet the newest of the trifecta faiths, Islam, has most if not all of the scriptures as intact as possible.

Also, thank you for clearing that up for my Urist.
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 194