Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187818 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #855 on: December 21, 2010, 04:22:59 pm »

Who said anything about validity (if you mean the "logical" sense of the word). But still, you've got a point. What am I missing and where am I wrong?
Hey, let's just say "all areas".  Still perfectly good, right?

Basically, circular reasoning doesn't work.  Even if you're making an argument based on emotion, morals or policy.  What you posted was pretty much a smokescreen for "For me, God has to exist".

Which is fine, I guess, but don't try to disguise it as something more... logical.

There's also no such thing as an invalid question, just questions you can't answer.
Does a nested rat despair after an inertia?  When will the worked lark toe the subtle choir?  Does the human assistance charter an algebra?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 21, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »

Yes, maybe, and I'm not sure, I'd have to know the exact kind of algebra.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:17 pm »

Does a nested rat despair after an inertia?  When will the worked lark toe the subtle choir?  Does the human assistance charter an algebra?
A zen koan for you:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does it make logical sense (If you did, you did it wrong)? Then why do so many people attribute wisdom to it? They're all wrong and you're right?

Why even partake in a debate thread when you've already come to your conclusion and are unwilling to modify it based on argument?
I am agnostic to the nature of God, not to his existence. I've changed my mind about its nature many times over the last months, thanks to these threads. The fact that someone does not start to believe what you believe for a full 100%, does not mean his beliefs do not change at all. I've learned and mused and seen and enjoyed myself in these threads. Thanks for that.

I do not presume any of you will suddenly match my beliefs. I hope not. But maybe you can make your own beliefs just a bit better (whatever "better" means for you).

Summary: I'm not sure what I'm even "defending". I haz a God. You (a general you, I'm speaking to more people here) bring logic. I say your logic is incomplete. You say that I do not understand. I say that you don't want to understand, that there is also truth in unlogic (not in ALL unlogic, strawmans). You say truth is only in logic. I say there is truth both in logic and in unlogic. Here we go in circles right now. (I just made up "unlogic" for "apparently (or real) illogical statements or arguments" which was too long to type three times. find&replace)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 21, 2010, 06:42:39 pm »

Does it make logical sense (If you did, you did it wrong)? Then why do so many people attribute wisdom to it? They're all wrong and you're right?
I'm not sure how this appeal to popularity is relevant to the fact that some questions just don't have or deserve answers.  Heck, you're not even appealing to the right idea.

Summary: I'm not sure what I'm even "defending". I haz a God. You (a general you, I'm speaking to more people here) bring logic. I say your logic is incomplete. You say that I do not understand. I say that you don't want to understand, that there is also truth in unlogic (not in ALL unlogic, strawmans). You say truth is only in logic. I say there is truth both in logic and in unlogic. Here we go in circles right now. (I just made up "unlogic" for "apparently (or real) illogical statements or arguments" which was too long to type three times. find&replace)
So, this "unlogic" conveniently only applies when you want it to.  Great.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:41 pm »

How about inventing new forms of logic for everyone!

I call relogic.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #860 on: December 21, 2010, 06:57:41 pm »

So what exactly are you arguing Siquo? Because so far it sounds like "I'm right because I'm right and logic doesn't apply to me".

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 21, 2010, 07:00:08 pm »

So what exactly are you arguing Siquo? Because so far it sounds like "I'm right because I'm right and logic doesn't apply to me".

Exactly! It just seems presumptuous. This entire thread (Essentially.) has been an argument of semantics.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 21, 2010, 07:01:12 pm »

What it sounds like to me is "I don't really care whether you think I'm right; I feel that applying logic would be counterproductive here".  And, much like trying to enjoy B-movies or fictional books about the Knights Templar, that can be quite correct for religion sometimes.

...It's also a good reason to not post anything at all, and to keep it to yourself.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 21, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »

Siquo

Well, this thread goes too fast for me to keep up with all the arguments. As this is your most recent though, I think I can solve some of these things with logic, and where pure logic doesn't apply then I'll use science.

"what is the sound of one hand clapping" is a meant to be a meaningless question. Because it's a "what is" question though, we can solve it with science. Scientifically, a one-hand clapping against air is nearly silent (very low frequency and volume). A single hand clapping against itself makes a muffled tap sound. Perfectly answerable.

As a koan, this is famous but not very good. It is extremely answerable, and has little "deeper" meaning, which ultimately comes from either overanalysis or acceptence of the effortless answer of silence. If you look at any statement with the same reasoning you can reveal profound truths that were never present to begin with. Make it a question, and it seems even more profound.

For example: "Every peripheral connects to the system unit through one of many types of ports". Guess what types of classes I'm taking :). Anyways, what is the meaning of this statement? Perhaps it means that we are all system units, and everything that connects to us goes through something... perhaps another person, or the waves of the water. Perhaps these things are the messages sent from beyond our understanding, connecting us to the unanswerable "extras", the peripherals. If you gave me a few days, I'd give you a profound basis to a new religion.

However, you could also say that all it means is that the little dongles that attach to your computer have specialized connectors. You know, a USB has a USB port, a DVI monitor has a DVI port, and so forth.

edit: Wisdom is not determined by the masses by the way. If you disagree, then to explain it much further would require a (lengthy) definition of what wisdom is. If you agree, then we can drop it. 
-----
That is overall a very decent explanation of a deist god. My only quibbles have to do with the reasoning behind it and the relative meaninglessness of such a god. A god such as this gives no benefit (in this life or to the energy in our bodies that dissipates out to the bacteria and soil) for any form of worship.

Just to clarify something, that law was a good approximation but not a perfect one. On the quantum level, energy is created and destroyed spontaneously all the time. The best scientific theory I know right now is that the big bang was created by a spontaneous burst of energy on a quantum level, which shortly thereafter was destroyed in a very strange manner.

If we were to measure up all of the energy in all of the planets and stars and everything else visible, then that is a lot of energy, true. Gravity, however, reduces the energy in a system, so we count up all of that as well. Both of these counted together actually equal 0, meaning there is 0 energy in the universe. There are still quibbles (like why is the universe accelerating or what unseen matter accounts for a lot of the invisible gravity, but those also balance each other out).

Edit 2: check this out: http://xkcd.com/836/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:35:39 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 22, 2010, 05:23:35 am »

I never said I was right. And if I did, I'm now saying that I'm not (but that doesn't make me wrong, either). Sowelu got it, but still I'm learning from this experience, and that is my goal of sharing my beliefs.

"what is the sound of one hand clapping" is a meant to be a meaningless question.
Nope, and the answer is not silence, either. You may choose to interpret the question any way you want, but the form and context of the koan supposes that the practical answer is probably not the right one.

The practice of making ordinary statements sound profound has been overused and misused for a long time, I agree, but that does not mean that all such statements are without merit.

edit: Wisdom is not determined by the masses by the way. If you disagree, then to explain it much further would require a (lengthy) definition of what wisdom is. If you agree, then we can drop it. 
No, it isn't, BUT when a lot of people say A and you think it's B, it'd be folly not to even consider A. Thinking that you are smarter than a million other people can be fine if you are, but statistics are against you.

Gravity, however, reduces the energy in a system
Huhwhat? Gravity is negative energy? That's news, where'd you get that?

Exactly! It just seems presumptuous. This entire thread (Essentially.) has been an argument of semantics.
Mostly, yes. Getting your Semantics right is important, or you can't have an argument at all.

Also, I totally agree with the xkcd comic. A source of solace vs tools. I'm pretty utilitarian when it comes to Logic and Science, but I won't find solace in a hammer, or a proof. It's knowledge vs wisdom: two things that can easily coexist if they stay out of each others territory. Now, if I promise to keep my belief out of science, will you keep your science out of my belief?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 22, 2010, 09:46:00 am »

"what is the sound of one hand clapping" is a meant to be a meaningless question.
Nope, and the answer is not silence, either. You may choose to interpret the question any way you want, but the form and context of the koan supposes that the practical answer is probably not the right one.

The practice of making ordinary statements sound profound has been overused and misused for a long time, I agree, but that does not mean that all such statements are without merit.
but the only example you've given fits into this. Can you perhaps give an example of something logic can't apply to, has a meaningful answer, and isn't overanalyzed gobbledygook?
No, it isn't, BUT when a lot of people say A and you think it's B, it'd be folly not to even consider A. Thinking that you are smarter than a million other people can be fine if you are, but statistics are against you.
We are considering it, just finding it to be silly. We're not above thinking that a god could exist, only that it doesn't seem like a worthwhile way to guide a life (and if anything is living a lie or maybe even damaging)
Gravity, however, reduces the energy in a system
Huhwhat? Gravity is negative energy? That's news, where'd you get that?
Stephan Hawking (and other astrophysicists, but hawking is the biggest name I could find in 1 minute of effort).

"The answer is that the total energy of the universe is exactly zero. The matter in the universe is made out of positive energy. However, the matter is all attracting itself by gravity. Two pieces of matter that are close to each other have less energy than the same two pieces a long way apart, because you have to expend energy to separate them against the gravitational force that is pulling them together. Thus in a sense, the gravitational field has negative energy. In the case of a universe that is approximately uniform in space, one can show that this negative gravitational energy exactly cancels the positive energy represented by the matter. So the total energy of the universe is zero. "

Found again here: http://www.generationterrorists.com/quotes/abhotswh.html
Mostly, yes. Getting your Semantics right is important, or you can't have an argument at all.

Also, I totally agree with the xkcd comic. A source of solace vs tools. I'm pretty utilitarian when it comes to Logic and Science, but I won't find solace in a hammer, or a proof. It's knowledge vs wisdom: two things that can easily coexist if they stay out of each others territory. Now, if I promise to keep my belief out of science, will you keep your science out of my belief?
I agree that symantics are important :)
I disagree that wisdom is connected to solace though. This might be a difference in our definitions of wisdom. I'd follow the version on wikipedia, which has nothing to do with comfort.

By the way, we've tried keeping science and silliness faith separate. The problem is when faith interferes with science, which happens ALL the time. Believing in a meaningless god is fine, but any god with actual meaning starts to interfere with our scientific progress. How do we explore the world when everyone thinks its flat? How do we research stem cell functionality when half of a country thinks it's murdering immortal souls? Faith has continuously been the authority on things that exist, when such a philosophy has no ability to discern fact from fiction.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 22, 2010, 10:26:01 am »

but the only example you've given fits into this. Can you perhaps give an example of something logic can't apply to, has a meaningful answer, and isn't overanalyzed gobbledygook?
The nature of God. Lots of meaningful answers there. (And I'm both too lazy to come up with a new one, or to throw Godel at you)
The hell, here it goes: give me a consistent formal effectively generated theory including basic arithmetical truths and also certain truths about formal provability, that includes a statement of its own consistency while remaining consistent. ;)

We are considering it
I'm glad we agree (yes, I'm totally ignoring your tangent from the original question there)
Cool, thanks! That's... logical. I guess. Except that it's probably... Unfalsifiable. Like God. ;) Also, where do the photons go in that equation? They're energy without gravity.
I disagree that wisdom is connected to solace though. This might be a difference in our definitions of wisdom. I'd follow the version on wikipedia, which has nothing to do with comfort.
You mean the version above the "Contents" block? Because that's ones very wide and incorporates both our definitions, I think. There's a plethora of definitions and theories on that page. Let me put it this way: King Solomon was wise, Stephen Hawking isn't (or at least, not much above average).
The problem is when faith interferes with science, which happens ALL the time.
Yeah, not to mention terrorists. You can't blame the interference of a few on the many. It does NOT happen all the time. There's a lot of people out there who can actually tell the difference, they're just the ones who also know how to shut up properly.

Also, why would atheists lower themselves to the level of those they oppose? "Leading by example" hasn't been working out so now everyone who believes in anything whould be mocked?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 22, 2010, 10:39:56 am »

Cool, thanks! That's... logical. I guess. Except that it's probably... Unfalsifiable. Like God. ;) Also, where do the photons go in that equation? They're energy without gravity.

Surely all you need to do is show that energy has increased when two bodies are brought closer together or that there isn't a balance of negative gravity energy to positive matter energy. Sounds falsifiable to me.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:58 am »

No, I just get annoyed by different things lately. The last elections are one of them. I'm now seeing vocal dumb masses everywhere. Sorry for bringing that up  :-\
As far as I can tell, you make appeals to popularity only when people agree with you.  In the same way you allow circular logic to pass only when it's your argument.  In the same way that logic can apparently be turned on and off at your convenience.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 22, 2010, 10:54:17 am »

As far as I can tell, you make appeals to popularity only when people agree with you.  In the same way you allow circular logic to pass only when it's your argument.  In the same way that logic can apparently be turned on and off at your convenience.
Then you can't tell much, you're grasping for straws. Where do I state that I have not considered their viewpoints? I probably read their program more thoroughly than most of their voters did. I speak to them about their concerns, I read about their problems and fears, and have come to my own conclusion. Dismissing stuff beforehand, especially if a lot of people find merit in it, now that is folly.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 194