Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187771 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #810 on: December 20, 2010, 11:05:07 pm »

Well, you said a theistic position that doesn't use intelligent design.  Does that mean your belief system uses a god or gods that exist, but which did not create the universe, or are perhaps themselves part of a natural creation?  What's their role, are they in any way connected to human existence?
Whether the gods existed before the universe started or not is irrelevant (for all it matters, they could have created the universe and left it alone). The one thing I am against is intelligent design of anything. The gods are largely neutral and natural. They are outside of the universe, which makes them transcendent, but they're also immanent. It's kind of hard to explain without completely giving away what religion I believe in (something that I'd rather not do). I'm actually purposefully leaving out a large part of my religion avoid doing this. I guess you could say that they're part of natural creation, sort of, maybe. I think my views could be most accurately described as... maybe pantheistic. The gods are in everything (immanent), but they also transcend the universe. Like I said, it's hard to explain without giving away my religion.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 20, 2010, 11:08:56 pm »

Sounds like Hinduism.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #812 on: December 20, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »

Sounds like Hinduism.
Except that it's not ;)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:20 pm »

Scientology? Nah!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #814 on: December 20, 2010, 11:41:55 pm »

Scientology? Nah!
Yes, I'm actually a Scientologist ::)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 20, 2010, 11:44:02 pm »

Tell me if I'm prying too much but.... Seriously?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #816 on: December 20, 2010, 11:48:02 pm »

Tell me if I'm prying too much but.... Seriously?
Please note the rolling eyes :P

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:19 pm »

"You're glib"

Everyone's favorite scientologist.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 21, 2010, 05:13:39 am »

Why does everyone hate Scientology? I googled it and found that it was written by a well known writer, is the fastest growing religion, and........ Wait is it that one where you torture yourself?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 21, 2010, 05:23:29 am »

Micro, either you're trolling, or you honestly don't know.  I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm honestly not sure which direction that would go.
Spoiler: Scientology (click to show/hide)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 21, 2010, 05:27:18 am »

Yeeeeaaah Looked up some more after posting.....

Wow.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 21, 2010, 05:32:07 am »

Interesting.  When I'm worrying less about logical proofs and more about enjoying life, I'm pretty far into animist territory...so if nothing else, it's at least pretty familiar to me.  Understood about not wanting to give it away, though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 21, 2010, 06:07:30 am »

Wow, what a strawman. I attack the statement "Because it is imperfect (in some way that I can imagine but not fully grasp), it cannot be designed", and it turns into the standard watchmaker argument.

In reverse: I find a watch that doesn't tell time correctly. I conclude from that, that it was not designed but occurred naturally because it's imperfect. (Even though it tells time perfectly, just in mars-days, but I was unable to see that at that time).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 21, 2010, 07:14:52 am »

Wow, what a strawman. I attack the statement "Because it is imperfect (in some way that I can imagine but not fully grasp), it cannot be designed", and it turns into the standard watchmaker argument.

In reverse: I find a watch that doesn't tell time correctly. I conclude from that, that it was not designed but occurred naturally because it's imperfect. (Even though it tells time perfectly, just in mars-days, but I was unable to see that at that time).

You are the one who began establishing arbitrary criteria for a supposed super-agent's design. While perceived imperfections don't disprove a designer, and perfection is even meaningless without first determining a desire, I believe the point Shades was getting at was that if this universe was designed it has managed to be indistinguishable from the non-artificial ("chance") and it shows no apparent purpose of design. If there is a designer of some sort then its interests are not at all similar to our own.

In this case you found an object that you don't understand and it doesn't look like it does anything in particular besides exist, and yet you have decided that somebody must have designed it to do... something.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 21, 2010, 07:19:00 am »

Yeah, that's about right. In my life (<- there, that piece is important), things need purpose to exist. So the same goes vice versa, because stuff exists, it must have a purpose. From the tiniest neutron to the universe itself. And purpose implies intelligence, therefore, a God.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 194