Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187743 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #720 on: December 18, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

But how can you prove their is no G-d? How would you go about doing that?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 18, 2010, 03:29:46 pm »

That would be why I'm not "strong".

But you can easily not believe in them due to lack of evidence.  Which would make you a weak, explicit atheist.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 18, 2010, 03:37:35 pm »

Exactly. Frankly, I can't use science to prove my point.... But neither can I be proved wrong.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 18, 2010, 03:37:56 pm »

Here's the thing: You can't. It requires infinite knowlage to disprove god, because the beliefs and requirements of god can be changed at will by those promoting him, but we can't have the infinite knowlage required to disprove all possible claims of god. You Can't Prove A Negative.

I can argue with believers in a god untill they've been forced out of human knowlage, but then there's nothing to do. They'll keep arguing in favor of their god from things that humans do not know, and may never. These claims are both unfalsifiable and unverifiable, so they don't matter in terms of our reality.

In addition, I don't have to prove there's no god. If I claimed that invisible, undetectable rats were preparing to knaw on your toes once you go to sleep, would you believe me on principle? No, of course not, and no one would ask you to. I'd have to prove that the ghost rats are stalking you, and in the same vein, believers in a god must prove his existance before we accept it as real, not the other way around. The burden of proof is on theists, not atheists.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 18, 2010, 03:48:12 pm »

Well I do know the burden of proof is on theists. But the only proof theists have is answered prayers, but if those were used as proof they would probably be be laughed out of town. So I think that being a rabid atheist is ridiculous because they claim to have facts, those facts say that there is no G-d. If there is nothing than how could it be a fact since a fact is a noun and therefore must be something.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 18, 2010, 03:51:30 pm »

Well, we have actually have empirical research showing that prayers don't work.  And... I'm not sure what your other sentence means.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 18, 2010, 03:53:35 pm »

When did strong atheist become "rabid"? I don't claim to have the non-existance of gods as a fact, but the fact of the matter is that theists have failed to bring evidence for their claims to the point where I can no longer suspend my doubt on the subject.

If there is nothing than how could it be a fact since a fact is a noun and therefore must be something.
...what?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 18, 2010, 03:55:37 pm »

That crap about the nouns was some crap I made up when I couldn't sleep.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 18, 2010, 04:28:19 pm »

According to wikipedia, I am an explicit strong atheist. I don't think I'm rabid, but I could be wrong.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 18, 2010, 04:36:00 pm »

When I meant rabid I meant waking youtube videos for their cause, saying there is no G-d EVERY SINGLE TIME someone mentions religion. This form of atheist often starts fights over the internet. As an example Shrugging Khan is very good.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 18, 2010, 04:37:03 pm »

There's nothing wrong with making a video to defend your position.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 18, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »

When I meant rabid I meant waking youtube videos for their cause, saying there is no G-d EVERY SINGLE TIME someone mentions religion. This form of atheist often starts fights over the internet. As an example Shrugging Khan is very good.
I dunno, QualiaSoup makes videos about it, and he's not particularly rabid.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 18, 2010, 04:42:19 pm »

If it's a rant or they resort to loud shouting. I guess.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 18, 2010, 05:08:45 pm »

The same way you 'prove' there is no santa, no flying spaghetti monster (wikipeida), no invisible pink unicorn (wikipeida) and no celestial teapot
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 18, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »

But this is more complicated than that. No one prays to Santa Claus.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 194