Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187705 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #705 on: December 18, 2010, 01:22:28 am »

I was talkin' to the other guy. And I knew that his name in Hebrew would have been Yeshua.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:04 pm »

It seems that pretty much no one here is actually religious. And it also seems that this kinda went from an actual debate to mindless semantics.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:44 pm »

Alright, let me give it some new juice.

You're not atheists, you're just agnostics without god. If you can't say "you're wrong, and you ought to change" to a believer's face, then you might just as well be one of them.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 18, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »

You're not an atheist, you're a prick.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 18, 2010, 02:41:59 pm »

Pricks are a very inclusive culture. They'll take pretty much anyone as a member, you weakling!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:50 pm »

Dude just stop. All you do here is pick fights. This thread has failed to reach it's goal because of you.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 18, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »

What goal? To discuss a hand-picked collection of inane details on the fringe of the whole "atheism" business? To let a bunch of weak atheists explain how they're very tolerant and understanding but they kind of politely disagree within certain limits?

I have no intention of stopping!  :D

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 18, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »

The only for sure athesit I saw here was just some punk that told people to keep religion to themselves. Guess what. IT SAYS TO DO THAT IN THE BIBLE.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 18, 2010, 02:51:16 pm »

I thought it told you to spread the word as much as possible...?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 18, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »

SO WHAT! It says a fuckton of things in their, as if any of that ever mattered. Christians pick from that idiotic book whatever they want to, and act like its the word of god!

Oh, the lulz.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 18, 2010, 02:56:06 pm »

This is the passage that I think says don't pray in public, and keep religion to yourself.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your father which is in heaven."

That's just the first part.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 18, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »

What goal? To discuss a hand-picked collection of inane details on the fringe of the whole "atheism" business? To let a bunch of weak atheists explain how they're very tolerant and understanding but they kind of politely disagree within certain limits?
That isn't what weak atheism means.

The only for sure athesit I saw here was just some punk that told people to keep religion to themselves.
I am also an atheist, just to clarify that Shrugging Khan is not the only one here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 18, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »

I would prefer to be near an implicit atheist rather than explicit. The latter frankly come off as confrontational asses. Don't mean to offend anyone here, but yeah.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 18, 2010, 03:22:41 pm »

I'm definitely explicit, but not "strong".

Implicit atheism usually goes under some other name.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 18, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

I would prefer to be near an implicit atheist rather than explicit. The latter frankly come off as confrontational asses. Don't mean to offend anyone here, but yeah.
If you've ever known about religion and decided to be an atheist, you're explicit. Implcit Weak Athests are those who have never been exposed to religion, and thus don't think about it (babies and the like). I assume you're trying to say that you'd rather be an Explicit Weak Atheist than an Explicit Strong Atheist.
I don't see how it's confrontational to claim that we have sufficent evidence such that saying there are no gods is valid. Religion has failed over history time and time again, to the point where my doubt over the matter has evaporated due to a consistant inablity to bring evidence for god to the table. That is why I'm a strong atheist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 194