Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187719 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #630 on: December 16, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »

You're not there yet, mr Khan. Neither am I, for that matter, yet. The dalai lama, maybe. Believing in yourself, as fqllve says, is just another answer to insecurities.

What does this mean, I don't even.
If your belief is just an answer to your own insecurities, then you are unfree to choose and hold any belief that does not answer them (answer is a broad term here, I don't mean alleviate).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 16, 2010, 07:20:45 pm »

What do you even mean by insecurities?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 16, 2010, 07:21:39 pm »

What do you even mean by insecurities?
This. So much this. I don't even know what you're talking about, it just sounds like...I don't even know, nothing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 16, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »

I propose that spending time as an atheist, at least by the definition in here (rational consideration of the world as being fully explainable without a deity), is good for everybody--but that choosing thereafter to return to religion causes no harm.  Peoples' actions will be driven by choice, not ignorance, at that point...but they can still gain the benefits of group ritual or devoted group service to a cause if they wish.  It turns religious groups into just another nonprofit organization, and that's okay with me.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 16, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »

You're not there yet, mr Khan. Neither am I, for that matter, yet. The dalai lama, maybe. Believing in yourself, as fqllve says, is just another answer to insecurities.
You're reading too many crappy newspapers, I suspect.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 16, 2010, 07:33:14 pm »

An atheist I know claimed that the Bible was adapted from the Epic of Gilgamesh. Anyone else hold this view or is this guy the only one? (Essentially.)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 16, 2010, 07:34:48 pm »

An atheist I know claimed that the Bible was adapted from the Epic of Gilgamesh. Anyone else hold this view or is this guy the only one? (Essentially.)

Doubt it, he was probably saying it to you just for "Lol what" value.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #637 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »

Doubt it, he was probably saying it to you just for "Lol what" value.

Maybe Genesis was, and the serpent has been suggested to symbolize a Sumerian god, but the majority of the bible is a history of the Israelites.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 16, 2010, 07:40:23 pm »

That there's the Old Testament.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #639 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:38 pm »

Well yeah.

You meant he suggest that Jesus was a reinterpretation of Gilgamesh? No, I've never heard anything like that other than in a The Hero's Journey kind of way.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 16, 2010, 07:49:07 pm »

Lots of stories and story elements in the bible are just whatever used to be popular in the region back then and in the millenia before. Virgin birth, ascending to heaven, serpents, sun standing still, all the shit miracles the prophets pulled, a lot of the other jesus things like that flying star...

All been around before, for a long time.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 16, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »

Your point being?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:06 pm »

Why you asking?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 16, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »

Just wondering. Anyway. I heard (Not sure if it's true.) that virgin was a mistranslation and they didn't realize.. This is understandable because many languages(Hebrew namely.) have to have VERY loose translations. I know this cause I have a Bible in Hebrew, ad it has English running uder the Hebrew saying what it is. Once again VERY loose.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 16, 2010, 09:02:08 pm »

Apparently, some reader had weak-and woman-like nerves.

This was quite a time ago.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 194