Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187732 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #615 on: December 16, 2010, 05:57:59 pm »

I think I like the dark side better.

*gives in to his emotions*

They do have cookies I hear.  However, I bet the good side is full of cookie DOUGH, which is just amazing. More than that... it's peanut butter cookie dough. hmm... I'm imagining having a good-gasm. You know what makes it even better? sharing the good-gasm, because then not only are YOU happy, everyone in your environment is too. Yes, that is heaven on earth buddy, right there.

Oh... what were we talking about again? I'm sure you can find something in there to persuade you to the side of good, I think that's it. Now I'm hungry.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 16, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »

Depending on which questions you want answered and how, yes, one belief will be better than others.
Yay, I haz a follower! :D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 16, 2010, 06:46:20 pm »

This place is more civil than I would have expected. Not like a lot of atheists on Youtube. All they do (From my experience.) is troll around.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:45 pm »

This place is more civil than I would have expected. Not like a lot of atheists on Youtube. All they do (From my experience.) is troll around.
You have...evidence of this? Unless you mean commenters, dear freaking god the commenters, but I have yet to see any athiest video trolls on Youtube.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:37 pm »

Depending on which questions you want answered and how, yes, one belief will be better than others.
But this basically boils down to
Depending on your perspective, yes, one belief will be better than others.
Which says nothing.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 16, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »

Commentors. I even got a list of screen names from people like that. Ya never know. (Suspicious glances.) But I do know several of their names.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:16 pm »

Which says nothing.
No, it means that depending on your needs, you choose a belief. If you value straight answers more than accuracy of answers, you might have a totally different belief system.

This place is more civil than I would have expected.
Thanks, from almost all of us ;) Except for me, I only count as an atheist depending on your definition.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:57:07 pm by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 16, 2010, 06:56:57 pm »

No, it means that depending on your needs, you choose a belief. If you value straight answers more than accuracy of answers, you might have a totally different belief system.
Your saying people will believe what they want to believe.

That is a well known fact, which in essence says nothing.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 16, 2010, 06:57:58 pm »

Your saying people will believe what they want to believe.
No, it means people believe what they need to believe. You don't choose your insecurities.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #624 on: December 16, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »

But this basically boils down to
Depending on your perspective, yes, one belief will be better than others.
Which says nothing.

Yeah, because better is subjective. We can say that some ideas excel in some ways and not in others, and even that some ideas are mostly beneficial or mostly detrimental. But we can't say one idea is better than another. That doesn't really even mean anything.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 16, 2010, 07:02:03 pm »

No, it means people believe what they need to believe. You don't choose your insecurities.
They want to believe in what they need to believe in, and people are there insecurities.

I feel as if we are arguing over semantics.
Yeah, because better is subjective. We can say that some ideas excel in some ways and not in others, and even that some ideas are mostly beneficial or mostly detrimental. But we can't say one idea is better than another. That doesn't really even mean anything.

You can say an idea is better, just it's up to other people as to whether they agree with you or not.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 16, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »

They want to believe in what they need to believe in, and people are there insecurities.
Only if you lose all insecurities, you can choose any belief.

You can say an idea is better, just it's up to other people as to whether they agree with you or not.
Point: you can only say an idea is better for you.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 16, 2010, 07:14:01 pm »

What does this mean, I don't even.

you can only say an idea is better for you.
Atheism is the best for everyone ever.

Doesn't mean its true, but I can say it anyway.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 16, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

That's actually the point where you can just straight up stop believing and start to trust your thinking instead.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #629 on: December 16, 2010, 07:17:43 pm »

That's actually the point where you can just straight up stop believing and start to trust your thinking instead.

That is called

believing in yourself.

Well, of course it's possible to say something is better. But you can't be objectively right about it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 194