Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187721 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #600 on: December 16, 2010, 11:34:41 am »

Just popping in briefly to say that this is a really good article.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 16, 2010, 12:08:33 pm »

It doesn't matter, though. If anybody's posting here with hopes of e.g. getting Siquo to admit that he was wrong all this time, and convert him to atheism
Damnit, I'd settle for ""all viewpoints are equally valid" is not a workable worldview" :/.

"2. Both Sides Really Do Believe What They're Saying"
"7. We Tend to Exaggerate About Ourselves, Too"

Really, just... too full of logical fallacies for my liking.  I can probably agree with the points, but I don't really like the explanations much.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 16, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »

"Nobody can change anyone's mind on the Internet" is an extremely naive viewpoint. No, you're not likely to directly change someone's mind during the course of an argument. People's minds change over time via exposure to new ideas (and testing of old ones), and talking/arguing about things is an important part of that. If it weren't for things like that, I would be much less knowledgeable and have much less well-developed ideas about any number of things, not to mention the fact that one of the best ways to learn about something is to discuss it with people who don't think the same way as you about it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »

"Nobody can change anyone's mind on the Internet" is an extremely naive viewpoint. No, you're not likely to directly change someone's mind during the course of an argument. People's minds change over time via exposure to new ideas (and testing of old ones), and talking/arguing about things is an important part of that. If it weren't for things like that, I would be much less knowledgeable and have much less well-developed ideas about any number of things, not to mention the fact that one of the best ways to learn about something is to discuss it with people who don't think the same way as you about it.
Short version: "You may not change their mind, but you change part of it."  ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 16, 2010, 02:50:24 pm »

Over time those small changes from debate can lead to a complete identity overhaul. I'm only speaking from my own experience but right before periods when I made a major alteration in my view I found myself clinging to micro-victories whereas the wider macro-view made less and less sense to me. Eventually the contradictions and doubts caused me to cease supporting my previous views and I slowly began rebuilding my identity from the wreckage.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 16, 2010, 03:17:09 pm »

I approve. I'd put it in  my signature, but I'm too lazy.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 16, 2010, 04:21:34 pm »

I'd still like to see Sh.Khan be a bit more considerate, and use a different tone in discussion. It's just about good manners, really, and I'd rather see well-mannered people flocking to the atheist cause, rather than crude rednecks.
No chance in snowy hell. The market for polite atheists is oversaturated.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 16, 2010, 04:28:09 pm »

I'd still like to see Sh.Khan be a bit more considerate, and use a different tone in discussion. It's just about good manners, really, and I'd rather see well-mannered people flocking to the atheist cause, rather than crude rednecks.
No chance in snowy hell. The market for polite atheists is oversaturated.
There are plenty of both flamebugs and calm individuals who are atheists, neither are oversaturated. Just don't do somthing you'll regret later Khan, I know I acted like a bit of an ass during the hight of my post-deconversion frustration.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 16, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »

I'd really feel fake if I suddenly started to act like a likeable person. Also, I'm posting on the goddamned internet. I'm here to be angry, not to make a good impression on potential readers.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 16, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »

I am not asking you to act, although others may be. Just to remain aware of your actions, and use your best judgement instead of letting your emotions control you (which I'm not saying you're doing now either, just to remain aware of the threat of it).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 16, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »

I think I like the dark side better.

*gives in to his emotions*

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 16, 2010, 04:59:27 pm »

Don't feed the trolls.
It is, thank you. He even quotes Neal Stephenson :) It reminds me of that whole "rally for sanity" thing the US had a while ago. I liked that.

Also, I see now that I was wrong about all my beliefs.
I can see clearly now all viewpoints are equally invalid. Including nihilism, so I can't believe in none of them!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #612 on: December 16, 2010, 05:07:06 pm »

Also, I see now that I was wrong about all my beliefs.
I can see clearly now all viewpoints are equally invalid. Including nihilism, so I can't believe in none of them!

If by valid you mean "a person has a right to believe it" and not "is an accurate portrayal of the world" then I'd agree with you. People can believe whatever they want.

However, not all beliefs have equal explanatory power. In fact, all beliefs have necessarily unequal explanatory power. If two beliefs explain the same things equally well, then they are in fact the same belief.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 16, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »

But saying they have unequal explanatory power implies that one belief better then another.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #614 on: December 16, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »

Depending on which questions you want answered and how, yes, one belief will be better than others.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 194