Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187824 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #585 on: December 15, 2010, 08:59:57 pm »

Sexism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to, less competent, or less valuable than the other.

Herp derp.  Implicit sexism is still sexism.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #586 on: December 15, 2010, 09:07:45 pm »

I want to start a betting pool on how long until Shrugging Khan is banned. I bet it'll be within the next... 2-3 days.

Anyway, this has gotten far too offtopic (successful troll is successful? ::)). Quick, we need a new topic! Oh wait, I have a rather humorous one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:12 pm »

I love that webcomic.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 15, 2010, 09:34:34 pm »

Let's not discuss Shrugging Khan's sexism (or lack thereof) in this thread. We didn't really need 2 pages of derailment for an obvious troll (whether the troll was in sexism, or in implying anyone who disagrees with his posting habits is weak of nerves, it was still pretty clearly a troll). And before you post, Khan, it's not a matter for debate. Drop it. Same goes for anyone else.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 15, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »

So my question is whether anyone actually wants to be persuaded of something?
That doesn't sound quite right, but I'm having trouble thinking of a better way to say it.

Most of the time that I participate in these conversations, a few people but in, sound self-important, and the thread dies of apathy. The thing that remains to keep it alive is trolls,  or perhaps fresh blood to sound self important, ignore each others points, and then die of apathy again.

What arguments do you think still stand for or against their being a god of any form, and what form would it be?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #590 on: December 16, 2010, 01:55:17 am »

Anyway, this has gotten far too offtopic (successful troll is successful? ::)). Quick, we need a new topic! Oh wait, I have a rather humorous one:

I resent being represented by the Mac guy.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #591 on: December 16, 2010, 02:33:40 am »

I resent being represented by the Mac guy.
I'm not represented at all, so don't complain :P

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 16, 2010, 04:30:18 am »

Let's not discuss Shrugging Khan's sexism (or lack thereof) in this thread. We didn't really need 2 pages of derailment for an obvious troll (whether the troll was in sexism, or in implying anyone who disagrees with his posting habits is weak of nerves, it was still pretty clearly a troll). And before you post, Khan, it's not a matter for debate. Drop it. Same goes for anyone else.
Everything can be a matter of debate, as long as someone feels strongly enough about it.

[...]
What arguments do you think still stand for or against their being a god of any form, and what form would it be?
Nope. Everyone here has their positions, and while they might change after years of self-doubt and continuous of about reasonable counter-arguments, nobody can actively change another's viewpoint. People aren't flexible enough for that.
So, no single argument can be classified as better than another - there's thousands of arguments against the existence of god, and a few dozen fakes ones in favour of it, but people will still believe what they want to; immune to reason and just jumping deeper into blind faith whenever you question their beliefs.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #593 on: December 16, 2010, 05:56:44 am »

So, no single argument can be classified as better than another - there's thousands of arguments against the existence of god, and a few dozen fakes ones in favour of it, but people will still believe what they want to; immune to reason and just jumping deeper into blind faith whenever you question their beliefs.

Why do you even care what people believe? Oh wait.

Nope, religion ought to be as secret as possible. Just keep it to yourself, don't dare try to push it onto your kids, tell only your mate or your closest friends...as long as religion is a mass culture, as in "world religions", it's better off as far away from the surface as possible. People adopt religious beliefs for deeply personal reasons after all - mixing them up with social dynamics only muddies the spiritual aspect, and carries lots of dangerous ideas into public discourses.

Well then the same should be true of politics. And don't think nontheistic positions are excluded either. In fact, I'd like it if our children weren't indoctrinated into our "people as commodities" and "anything can be bought" mentality while we're at it.

People are dangerous, and potentially dangerous ideas get filtered into the public all the time, not just through religion. Religion has never made anyone stupid, the stupid religious were stupid already.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 16, 2010, 06:56:24 am »

Too true! The indoctrination, instrumentalisation and general corrption of children is an unforgivable crime...and socially acceptable, of course.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #595 on: December 16, 2010, 07:24:25 am »

Too true! The indoctrination, instrumentalisation and general corrption of children is an unforgivable crime...and socially acceptable, of course.
It's used by many religions simply because it's the easiest way to control people. Get them in at a young age, and they'll never question it. Most people don't even get a chance to express their freedom of religion. Or they simply don't question it.

Of course, I did, and you did too most likely (excluding atheist parents), but we went completely opposite directions. I went to a different religion (my family is Christian, even a few Jehovah's Witnesses ::)), and you took this general attitude of "all religions are bad". I was agnostic for a while though, before I settled in on my opinion (still not done with that either...).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 16, 2010, 08:07:46 am »

[...]
Nope. Everyone here has their positions, and while they might change after years of self-doubt and continuous of about reasonable counter-arguments, nobody can actively change another's viewpoint. People aren't flexible enough for that.
It doesn't matter, though. If anybody's posting here with hopes of e.g. getting Siquo to admit that he was wrong all this time, and convert him to atheism, or making Shrugging Khan repent for his evil ways and embrace Jesus, then they might just as well stop.
However, it's not the preachers that are the target of conversion here. As with political debates, there might be undecided people reading this, so if one thinks that his point of view is the bestest, and would make the world a better place, then he better make compelling arguments to support it.

I'd still like to see Sh.Khan be a bit more considerate, and use a different tone in discussion. It's just about good manners, really, and I'd rather see well-mannered people flocking to the atheist cause, rather than crude rednecks.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #597 on: December 16, 2010, 09:09:29 am »

Honestly? Pretty much all child-rearing is indoctrination. And it's not just socially acceptable it's socially mandated. Unless you want the kids to have to fend for themselves in every situation then they can't help but be indoctrinated.

I'm more concerned with teaching children to think critically about what they believe than restricting parents' rights to pass their own beliefs on to the tiny versions of themselves. I don't care what a person believes, as long as they actually believe it rather than just accept what they've been told. Stopping people from sharing their ideas isn't going to make anyone any more thoughtful about them and we shouldn't do it just because kids will believe anything.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:06 am »

I'm more concerned with teaching children to think critically about what they believe than restricting parents' rights to pass their own beliefs on to the tiny versions of themselves.
I don't think this is what you are saying, but I wanted to head it off...

I do NOT think the process in teaching kids to think critically is including several religious classes in their schooling (to get them experience in that religion or whatnot...)  Like the current push to teach Intelligent Design.

I think the "training" needs to be a small part of every class they are involved in to get them questioning Math, Science, History, etc.  Let them question the aspects and get them thinking about all courses and explain to them the accepted answers and why they are accepted.  Do not treat any course topic like concrete bunkers.  Encourage kids to ask more questions by letting them know that doubt is acceptable.

The advantages to this approach would be kids that do not blindly go about life and accept what their peers say as fact.  It will hopefully squash the idea that anyone asking questions in class is dumb, and it will allow them to push the limits of accepted knowledge.

Unfortunately, it's not an easy task because you first have to teach the teachers to think critically about their own lessons.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 16, 2010, 11:11:54 am »

I'd rather see well-mannered people flocking to the atheist cause, rather than crude rednecks.

Bigot!  :P

I do NOT think the process in teaching kids to think critically is including several religious classes in their schooling (to get them experience in that religion or whatnot...)  Like the current push to teach Intelligent Design.

It's certainly not the same thing, but I'm all for teaching them about religion, by which I mean learning the basic beliefs and history of the world's major religions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:20:22 am by Earthquake Damage »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 194