Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187801 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #555 on: December 15, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »

Sexism.  Great.
Have someone's delicate sensibilities been insulted by something that wasn't even an insult of any kind?  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »

Not offended.  I can note blatant sexism without being upset by it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »

I think I understand you. I probably heard Descartes first few arguments somewhere in my past. If you remember (or look it up), I was trying to dissuade his first point: that we might be a fleeting dream of a butterfly with an entirely constructed reality.

You've confused Descartes with Zhuangzi, an ancient Chinese philosopher/book. Descartes is the one who took "Doubt all that can be doubted" to its extreme and came out of it with "I think therefore I am."
Zhuagnzi? That is a crazy name. It's one I'm sure I've never heard before. Its far more likely I bastardized Descartes (or even more likely a mix of "I think therefor I am" and the commentary on "The Matrix" movie.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 15, 2010, 06:41:14 pm »

Then you'd better point out the sexism to me.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 15, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »

Then you'd better point out the sexism to me.
Don't feed the trolls.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 15, 2010, 06:53:01 pm »

No way. There shall be no doubt cast on our honour! None of us noble internet-men shall accept it!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 15, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 15, 2010, 07:01:00 pm »

Sexism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sexism, a term coined in the mid-20th century,[1] is the belief or attitude that one gender or sex is inferior to, less competent, or less valuable than the other.

Never said anything like that. I simply referred to the rather undeniable facts that women aren't as likely to keep a level head during heated discussions; that they have less of a capacity for such debating heat. That's not saying they're worth less, or otherwise inferior to men - just that when it comes to these things, they seam to run out of nerve faster than men. It's an observation made quite frequently, with little evidence speaking against it (and even some confirming it, IIRC). There might've been a Cracked article about it a while back, actually.

So I maintain my point: You just want an easy way to look down upon your fellow debaters. Ts ts. That's not funky. Just because someone talks funnyspeak doesn't mean you can make half-assed claims about their positions.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 15, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »

Just because you think its not sexist doesn't mean your not a prick.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 15, 2010, 07:04:59 pm »

I'm certainly a prick, but to assume that there are no differences between the sexes just for the sake of not offending anyone is...a little off  :o

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »

I would say this goes under "less competant" actually.  And just because it's supposedly an "undeniable fact" doesn't mean you can generalize it to all women and then use it as a derogatory term against other people.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 15, 2010, 07:08:41 pm »

There's political correctness that must be obeyed... or something like that.  Offending people is totally anti-social and if you are anti-social, you are a terrorist!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 15, 2010, 07:11:41 pm »

Shrugging Khan is the person I would be least sad to see leave the forums.  Including spammers.

Just sayin'.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 15, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »

I would say this goes under "less competant" actually.  And just because it's supposedly an "undeniable fact" doesn't mean you can generalize it to all women and then use it as a derogatory term against other people.
Why derogatory? I used it in an entirely general manner. Just because there was a "weak" next to it doesn't mean that it has anything directly to do with the "woman-like", rather than the unknown traitor's nerves it referred to. Two attributes aimed at one object do not make the two attributes related to one another, which would be the only way to read derogatory-ness in my earlier lines.

Also, that's the entire use of generalisations - using them to describe the vast majority of a group, rather than to painstakingly explain that yes there are exceptions, quite a lot actually, but there's still a bigger part of them that do fit into this pattern, so stop it already. To point at generalisations as something universally bad is just childish.

There's political correctness that must be obeyed... or something like that.  Offending people is totally anti-social and if you are anti-social, you are a terrorist!
I'd rather be a terrorist than have no fun.

Shrugging Khan is the person I would be least sad to see leave the forums.  Including spammers.

Just sayin'.
I like you too, you know. Faithful fellow bay watcher, and all that.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 15, 2010, 07:14:06 pm »

Just sayin'.
I like you too, you know. Faithful fellow bay watcher, and all that.
Hugs all around!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 194