Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187764 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #540 on: December 14, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »

That metaphor is flawed in that no one wants to Masturbate alone.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #541 on: December 14, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »

That and one of the points of religion is to bring people together under common beliefs.

You don't have to keep your religion a secret, just don't be a dick about it.

That includes atheists by the way.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 14, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »

Nope, religion ought to be as secret as possible. Just keep it to yourself, don't dare try to push it onto your kids, tell only your mate or your closest friends...as long as religion is a mass culture, as in "world religions", it's better off as far away from the surface as possible. People adopt religious beliefs for deeply personal reasons after all - mixing them up with social dynamics only muddies the spiritual aspect, and carries lots of dangerous ideas into public discourses.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 14, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »

That started sounding far less sarcastic as it went on.

You might want to fix that.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #544 on: December 14, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »

I got a report in here, so I deleted it after the point where there was some all caps degeneracy.  I haven't read back to see if I should delete any further or lock it or whatever.  Please try to keep it together.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:15 am »

Apparently, some reader had weak-and woman-like nerves. Or the religious are trying to silence their more outspoken critics  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:04 am »

Apparently, some reader had weak-and woman-like nerves. Or the religious are trying to silence their more outspoken critics  :o
Well, as you put it... religion should be a personal thing.  Extrapolating that, someone could insist that attacking the idea of a religion is a personal attack.  It's a pretty weak argument, but I can see how someone could think that.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 15, 2010, 04:35:13 am »

It's so weak it probably radiates itself out of existence within less than a nanosecond  :o

If religion was truly a personal thing, nobody would even be able to make attacks on it. But it isn't, so one can, so people will just have to take the pain of putting a little more faith into maintaining their beliefs.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 15, 2010, 04:49:55 am »

It's so weak it probably radiates itself out of existence within less than a nanosecond  :o

If religion was truly a personal thing, nobody would even be able to make attacks on it. But it isn't, so one can, so people will just have to take the pain of putting a little more faith into maintaining their beliefs.
Quite a few years back I debated the idea that someone needed government protection for their religious thought... (ie: First Amendment)  If religion is a person's belief or somehow backed by a divine being, why would they need the government to protect their organization?  Then I realized that it does't do that, yet so many people think it does.  It actually woke me up to what the real ideas are behind The Constitution.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 15, 2010, 10:00:11 am »

Here's Dawkins talking about one of his books(Evolution: the greatest show on Earth).
http://fora.tv/2010/03/01/Meet_The_Author_Richard_Dawkins#fullprogram

There are a few points relevant to this thread and what has shown up in it up till now, including the question of the evolutionary reason for the emergence of religion, Shrugging Khan's attitude etc.

Also, he claims, right at the beginning, that Evolution is a fact, not a theory. This is an interesting claim from such an advocate of scientific thinking. I haven't read the book, so I don't know if he uses any more specific arguments to support that claim, but it might be a good topic for further discussion.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 15, 2010, 10:13:58 am »

Also, he claims, right at the beginning, that Evolution is a fact, not a theory. This is an interesting claim from such an advocate of scientific thinking. I haven't read the book, so I don't know if he uses any more specific arguments to support that claim, but it might be a good topic for further discussion.

It is a fact. It's a natural process we observe constantly. Evolution is as much a fact as the Sun existing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 15, 2010, 10:23:03 am »

Just to add that things don't have to be 'true', for some absolute value of true, for them to be a fact only provable and not false. So facts are true as far as we can tell. This is a bit of a simplification but the best I can do with my limited wordsmith skills.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:57 am »

Quote<
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
>

I think I understand you. I probably heard Descartes first few arguments somewhere in my past. If you remember (or look it up), I was trying to dissuade his first point: that we might be a fleeting dream of a butterfly with an entirely constructed reality. If it sounds like a similar argument, I would think it is so because it uses the same starting point, not the same logic. And btw, I think we can show that his logic falls apart to an uncreative mind at the first meditation, which is the simplest and most agreeable of them that I read on wikipedia. As long at the "dream of a butterfly" has any definition, there would be artifacts that it would predict. Every one of these can be tested against our senses and logic, and disproven in kind.

I recently purchased (for cheap) a translation of Plato's Republic. Alright, it was several months ago and I've only read about 5 chapters so far (it sits in my car). From this, I can see why Socrates was far ahead of his time, being willing to let argument change his mind and to actually care about the result of the arguments. I would think though, if philosophy builds on older philosophies like science does, that we should be a lot further along than they were. Thus I ask again what contributions the study of philosophy has given us, say, since the birth of science.

As for reading something before you question it, I don't think that is always necessary. It's necessary for the most fair and complete version, sure, but sometimes it falls apart long before then. I have still not read the whole christian bible, for example. I have read most of it, but it's really hard to get through vague chapters on how to kill cattle, or the biology of bats being birds, or to reread the history in the dullest forms of inconsistent genealogy. I think it's fair to still say it's a relatively useless volume though, based on the bits that I have read. More importantly, we don't have the mental capacity and time to read everybody's opinion. I skipped about 20 pages of theology discussion before I posted (reading the first few and the last few pages only). To question it, all it takes is a vague understanding, not a complete and exhaustive one.

An analogy, since I assume there are things you don't like about politics. Do we really need to listen to every single senator for hours at a time before we take a vote? Yes, they all question it (at least the half that is expected to), but the same logic they all use generally falls apart at some point.

Here's Dawkins talking about one of his books(Evolution: the greatest show on Earth).
http://fora.tv/2010/03/01/Meet_The_Author_Richard_Dawkins#fullprogram

Forgive Richard for saying it's a fact. It's a fact in the sense that anything in science is, with an absurd amount of support and no philosophical competitors. Yet every time we call it a theory, some nut job says "it's only a theory", which can grate on an evolutionary biologists nerves. I don't own the book yet, but from what I've read in the bookstore he does indeed back it up with a lot of evidence, as much as can fit in a book that size while still being readable by an eighth grader.

Just to add that things don't have to be 'true', for some absolute value of true, for them to be a fact only provable and not false. So facts are true as far as we can tell. This is a bit of a simplification but the best I can do with my limited wordsmith skills.
Huh? This reminds me of "I know you hate that your meme is a meme, so I created a meme of you hating your meme so you you can be hating you hate your a meme is a meme". Wordsmith skills indeed :)
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »

I think I understand you. I probably heard Descartes first few arguments somewhere in my past. If you remember (or look it up), I was trying to dissuade his first point: that we might be a fleeting dream of a butterfly with an entirely constructed reality.

You've confused Descartes with Zhuangzi, an ancient Chinese philosopher/book. Descartes is the one who took "Doubt all that can be doubted" to its extreme and came out of it with "I think therefore I am."
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 15, 2010, 06:16:16 pm »

Sexism.  Great.

Moving on...

Well, we have observed it.  A lot.  Think drug resistant bacteria.  It definitely happens in some form or another.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 194