Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187812 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #495 on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

the worst part about atheism threads is that you genuinely can't distinguish between someone being sarcastic, an idiot, or just a smug asshole
Intentionally or not, this is the most beautiful post I have ever seen.
Don't worry, everybody's got a mancrush on Dasleah. Even women.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 13, 2010, 05:04:07 pm »

I'll just drop it here:
http://www.viruscomix.com/page433.html
Ugh jeez, Subnormality.  Guy needs to just write essays or something.

Also, three cheers for more misplaced causal relationships.  None of those things would go away if religion were gone, they'd just find a new outlet.

I think the stupidest part is the newspaper headline that reads "1 in 4 US Teen Girls has STDs" in panel 1 changes to "1 in 400" in the last panel.

Because yeah, religion cause teen promiscuity and STDs.

Haha, I didn't notice all the things in the background. That's good stuff. If you're nitpicky enough to see that, then why would the price drop? 13cents/lb to 13cents/kg is a huge price drop for onions.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #497 on: December 13, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »

I'm no expert, but isn't that meant to be ironic?  On an LCS kindof level.

I dunno, the last panel confuses it. Their tirades are so over the top that yeah, it seems satirical, but the last panel makes it seem like the joke is really "haha look at how serious and grim these guys are about the really good things that are about to happen."

Haha, I didn't notice all the things in the background. That's good stuff. If you're nitpicky enough to see that, then why would the price drop? 13cents/lb to 13cents/kg is a huge price drop for onions.

Actually, I think that sign gag is hilarious, not the price drop, but the change from imperial to metric.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 13, 2010, 05:13:02 pm »

malimbar, shall I let Descartes continue? ;) (That's a theist joke)

Also humourous: When Science changes its mind it's a Good Thing, when Religion does to escape nitpickers, it's being evasive.

:)
So that's who the brain in the jar guy was. So am I Discartes here, or am I his opponent?
... You're kidding me, right?
Alright, some enlightenment for you (including criticism that refutes your similar thoughts). Also, the solution to the theist joke is in meditations III.

Unless your post was as Dasleah described it, but basing my interpretations on that assumption makes it impossible to hold any kind of conversation here.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 13, 2010, 05:15:19 pm »

I dunno, the last panel confuses it. Their tirades are so over the top that yeah, it seems satirical, but the last panel makes it seem like the joke is really "haha look at how serious and grim these guys are about the really good things that are about to happen."
Well, I think that's to say "They aren't gonna destroy us all, but they aren't gonna fix all our problems".  Or something.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:10 pm »

I thought it was more along the lines of: Both sides are silly.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #501 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:54 pm »

Probably. I guess it's just like Dasleah said. When it comes to religion it's impossible to tell what's ironic. When I first read a Chick tract I thought it was satirical and here the opposite has happened.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 13, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »

I'm a bit late to the party, but let me try to dissuade this brain-in-a-jar philosophy.

The biggest problem I can see with Solipsism is that, for reasons similar to what you covered, whether the universe exists independently or not it functions exactly the same as if it were independent and physical. To any external observer they would be indistinguishable... so while possible there's little point in considering the brain-in-a-jar scenario as it changes nothing about how we discover the universe we are living within.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 13, 2010, 05:52:02 pm »

The biggest problem I can see with Solipsism is that, for reasons similar to what you covered, whether the universe exists independently or not it functions exactly the same as if it were independent and physical. To any external observer they would be indistinguishable... so while possible there's little point in considering the brain-in-a-jar scenario as it changes nothing about how we discover the universe we are living within.

Unfalsifiable therefore unimportant?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 13, 2010, 05:53:38 pm »

I don't really care if I'm in a jar or not.
If I am, it's a very nice jar.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 13, 2010, 06:22:01 pm »

Unfalsifiable therefore unimportant?

Pretty much. However if this reality were an elaborate pseudo-dream set-up it would be easily falsifiable by waking up.

Trying to figure out the difference before then would be chasing an Absolute Truth, something which I regard as a fool's pursuit. If I cannot observe or reason towards a goal then there is nothing to pursue. There's just an infinite supply of what-ifs.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 13, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »

the worst part about atheism threads is that you genuinely can't distinguish between someone being sarcastic, an idiot, or just a smug asshole
Intentionally or not, this is the most beautiful post I have ever seen.
Except, it's a rather negative statement.  Of the three choices, none of them is "genuinely feel that way" except idiot...  Personally, I think that post in itself falls into the last group.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 13, 2010, 07:43:01 pm »

I'm a smug asshole, and I'm right about bashing religion.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 13, 2010, 08:32:49 pm »

I'm a bit late to the party, but let me try to dissuade this brain-in-a-jar philosophy.

Exactly what I was trying to say! :) I like philosophy, but I don't know the history nor do I care all too much. I just want to know how the lightbulb works, not the half-baked theories that lead to it. For example, I have no reason to know that a few hundred years ago they believed in four bodily humors. It wouldn't help me diagnose or treat a patient with cancer.

Although... there is also the problem that this outside construct is not defined. Simply saying  that "I can't know for sure how my consciousness gathers information, for it could all be an illusion" just pushes the problem back. If we continue to put possibilities on the table, we could disprove them by the artifacts each would generate. A fleeting dream of a butterfly, for example, would be limited by the purely physical limitations of a butterfly's brain.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 13, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »

I'm a smug asshole, and I'm right about bashing religion.

hey pal that's my schtick

Except, it's a rather negative statement.  Of the three choices, none of them is "genuinely feel that way" except idiot...  Personally, I think that post in itself falls into the last group.

ha ha check out this guy

what an act
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:25:17 pm by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 194