Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187817 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #480 on: December 13, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »

Unless you take that as double-sarcasm, which is not beyond the author, I believe.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 13, 2010, 03:56:13 pm »

malimbar, shall I let Descartes continue? ;) (That's a theist joke)

Also humourous: When Science changes its mind it's a Good Thing, when Religion does to escape nitpickers, it's being evasive.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 13, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »

But the religion claims to know the ultimate truth, so how can it change it's mind when faced with inconvenient developments?
Science claims that it's trying to find the truths, so changing it's mind to fit new developments is not only allowed, but necessary.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 13, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »

But the religion claims to know the ultimate truth, so how can it change it's mind when faced with inconvenient developments?
Science claims that it's trying to find the truths, so changing it's mind to fit new developments is not only allowed, but necessary.
Exactly, I couldn't have put it better in any way.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »

Religion changing its mind is only evasive when it accuses science of being inconsistent because theories change. And then I only choose that word because of the blatant hypocrisy. Generally I find that a religion willing to change its mind to adapt to evolving conditions is much better than a religion that insists on its infallibility in the face of mountains of evidence.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 13, 2010, 04:09:50 pm »

Also humourous: When Science changes its mind it's a Good Thing, when Religion does to escape nitpickers, it's being evasive.

Science is a process, not a book.  It makes no claims about absolute truth.  Science is about testing theories and refining them until they stop breaking.  And then finding new ways to break them.

No scientific text is ever going to claim to be 100% infallible.  No scientific text is ever going to claim that you'll be condemned to an eternity of damnation if you have the temerity to question its contents.

Religion, on the other hand, claims absolute truth.  You've got various religious texts written hundreds or thousands of years ago that claim they're 100% right.  And you'll suffer horribly if you question them.  And you've got folks alive today who claim that hundreds if not thousands of real, repeatable, observable tests are wrong - because a dusty old religious book says so.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 13, 2010, 04:16:30 pm »

Well put.

Science changes it's mind when theories are proven, not when (generalizing here ;) ) an old man goes... "What god meant to say here!!!!  <fill in new interpreted passage from holy book>" for whatever reason fits his or "sects" agenda.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:20:57 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 13, 2010, 04:33:16 pm »

See? And even the Roman Catholic Church has changed its mind a few times about for instance the shape and movement of the earth in the face of overwhelming evidence. And still it's regarded as a bad thing.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 13, 2010, 04:35:41 pm »

Because if it's no longer a reliable provider of Ultimate TruthTM, then what's it's selling point?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #489 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »

See? And even the Roman Catholic Church has changed its mind a few times about for instance the shape and movement of the earth in the face of overwhelming evidence. And still it's regarded as a bad thing.

Well duh, because religion is a Bad Ting and therefore everything it does is bad, even if it's good.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:50 pm »

But they keep putting out the same book!

I think it's time for a new revised version without all the stuff that has been changed taken out.  It will save cost (and trees) as well, considering it will now be about 50 pages.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 13, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »

the worst part about atheism threads is that you genuinely can't distinguish between someone being sarcastic, an idiot, or just a smug asshole
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 13, 2010, 04:46:27 pm »

Because if it's no longer a reliable provider of Ultimate TruthTM, then what's it's selling point?
Hmm. I think "answers you can believe in".
If the (details of the) answers become unbelievable, they need adjustment. That's what science does. And science has a lot of things, but never answers (unless misinterpreted), and people look for answers, hence the need for religion.

the worst part about atheism threads is that you genuinely can't distinguish between someone being sarcastic, an idiot, or just a smug asshole
Or genuine.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 13, 2010, 04:50:10 pm »

malimbar, shall I let Descartes continue? ;) (That's a theist joke)

:)
So that's who the brain in the jar guy was. So am I Discartes here, or am I his opponent?

The more I think about it and read about it and talk about it, the more I'm convinced that we could actually prove that god doesn't exist. Well, maybe not EVERY god, but certainly all of the gods that have any effect on the world in any way. I still can't prove that a lazy, powerless, and dumb god doesn't exists, as long as it doesn't claim to create the universe or meddle in human affairs.

Though, maybe strangely, I think it's a good things religions evolve. Ideally I'd want religion to turn into a sam-harris-like construct, doing some of the same things but attributing the experiences to something naturalistic.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 13, 2010, 04:51:09 pm »

Ugh jeez, Subnormality.  Guy needs to just write essays or something.

Also, three cheers for more misplaced causal relationships.  None of those things would go away if religion were gone, they'd just find a new outlet.
I'm no expert, but isn't that meant to be ironic?  On an LCS kindof level.

Intentionally or not, this is the most beautiful post I have ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 194