Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187801 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #450 on: December 12, 2010, 07:15:19 pm »

Why does a bunch of random energy everywhere support the big bang? I could just as easily say that it's due to black holes redirecting light waves.
What.
Another one of those "I don't understand/haven't aquainted myself with the theory, therefore it's stupid".

No, John, you are the demons.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 12, 2010, 07:30:27 pm »

Well... how does "black holes redirecting lightwaves" explain anything about background radiation at all?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #452 on: December 12, 2010, 07:34:10 pm »

Why does a bunch of random energy everywhere support the big bang? I could just as easily say that it's due to black holes redirecting light waves.
What.
Well... how does "black holes redirecting lightwaves" explain anything about background radiation at all?

e: (ah, sorry, I just wanted to echo the question)

Except that doesn't work. There's a low level of radiation everywhere in the universe that seems to all be coming from a single point. This suggests a Big Bang.
It's not coming from a single point.  It's by all appearances omnidirectional.

That is why it's evidence for a big bang.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:52:54 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 12, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »

Yeah, I know.  But I'm wondering what the alternative suggestion by Micro is meant to mean.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 12, 2010, 08:10:12 pm »

Except that doesn't work. There's a low level of radiation everywhere in the universe that seems to all be coming from a single point. This suggests a Big Bang.
Actually it comes from all different directions, not from a single point.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 12, 2010, 08:13:40 pm »

Actually it comes from all different directions, not from a single point.
My derp was all ready pointed out. You have yet to explain how your hypothesis works at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 12, 2010, 10:44:32 pm »

I simply think that statistical evidence is more reliable then matching theory to event.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 12, 2010, 10:46:37 pm »

Could you provide this evidence? I don't really know what you mean by "matching theory to event".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:17 pm »

The discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation was an event that matched the prediction made by the hypothesis, not the other way around.
The idea of BB came into existence as a result of Hubble's discovery of the universe's expansion(red shift), and the mathematical predictions of General Relativity(e.g. the singularity, the possible shapes and sizes of the universe), which has been already validated by then.

This model predicted that some remnant radiation from the time when the universe was very young(hot and dense, but already cooled enough to stop being opaque) should be detectable, and according to the measurements of Hubble's constant, correspond in energy levels to the radiation emitted by a "black body" at ~5K.
And voila! A couple decades later, it was observed(albeit at 2,7K).
That was not the moment of inception of the BB theory - it was the moment of it's validation*.

*meaning of course that it gained scientific weight, not that it became "true".

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06:06 am »

Funny that people seem to think that gods and the big bang are mutually exclusive :P

The big bang would allow a god if it was:
1. a deist god (as in, he created the universe than never did anything else within it),
2. a lazy god (a big bang requires no energy input, and is incredibly inefficient with a life/empty space ratio)

Thus while it doesn't exactly exclude any god, it does exclude an active christian god (or any of the other religions gods).

That's because their minds have yet to reach the next level of growth. They cannot comprehend it. Did you care about ethics or politics when you were eight years old? Of course not. None of us did, because we weren't old enough to truly get the ideas.

I really really hope I never think I'm at the peak of my mental growth. That would be very depressing. Since elementary school I've hoped to be the guy that's 80 years old, bald, with a long white beard sitting on a hill and still giving people insights into the world.

My family doesn't grow beards very well, and we don't go bald, so to continue learning and being insightsful is the last hope I have.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:11:11 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 13, 2010, 12:17:01 am »

Funny that people seem to think that gods and the big bang are mutually exclusive :P

1. a deist god (as in, he created the universe than never did anything else within it),
2. a lazy god (a big bang requires no energy input, and is incredibly inefficient with a life/empty space ratio)

Thus while it doesn't exactly exclude any god, it does exclude an active christian god (or any of the other religions gods).

Here in lays a misconception. Not all religions are fundamental. In my old church it was thought of as in this example that god made the world (though the BB or what ever) and still plays a active role. Everything is to a plan, it made the BB in the way it did so that life would arise.

Religion is as malleable as science, there is just more acceptance of the parts that do not change.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #461 on: December 13, 2010, 12:18:57 am »

Again with the generalizations...

A god could have simply popped into existence AFTER the universe started. Or a god could have "caused" the big bang. Even the Christian god can be applied to this, except for the fundamentalist's version I guess. Or a god could simply be apathetic, or representing a natural force (in the latter, it'd also come into existence), and simply be there, doing this or that. Nobody said a god actually had to DO something with their power. There is literally no limit when you're talking about religion (the line has to be drawn somewhere though).

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 13, 2010, 04:55:48 am »

An all powerful god could have popped into existence shortly after I think I started typing this message and mearly created the universe just then with all the reassuring back story to make me think I've been living a life all these years when really it's just how she created the memories in my brain. Likewise for the rest of you.

It's about as likely as any other god theory.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 13, 2010, 08:28:37 am »

Remember Lord English.  An omnipotent being only needs a moment of creation as a formality, as it can immediately begin affecting the past and future.  If it exists at any point in time, it's effectively always existed.  For all we know, maybe we end up creating God somehow.
Shoes...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 13, 2010, 08:46:50 am »

Again with the generalizations...

A god could have simply popped into existence AFTER the universe started. Or a god could have "caused" the big bang. Even the Christian god can be applied to this, except for the fundamentalist's version I guess. Or a god could simply be apathetic, or representing a natural force (in the latter, it'd also come into existence), and simply be there, doing this or that. Nobody said a god actually had to DO something with their power. There is literally no limit when you're talking about religion (the line has to be drawn somewhere though).

To this and others...

In all honesty, what god-like characteristics are left? Since we agree that the deist god can still theoretically exist (though is relatively boring), what characteristics of the well known gods could still exist? If he does exist, and matters to us in any way, then he is measurable in some form. Thus disproving his existence requires further definition of what his existence is.

We know, for example, that prayer does not cause improved recovery from dozens of terminal illnesses (and recover worse if they know they're being prayed for, like performance anxiety). We know a lot of the characteristics that have been applied to an existent god have been dis-proven over time, and I personally can't think of any left that matter to the human species.

While the proposition that we can not prove a negative exists, we can prove a negative under certain conditions. While I can't prove that an undefined being exists somewhere, I can say that under the conditions of the universe that we have observed and the theories of a relevant god that have been presented, we have proven each theory false or meaningless.

An all powerful god could have popped into existence shortly after I think I started typing this message and mearly created the universe just then with all the reassuring back story to make me think I've been living a life all these years when really it's just how she created the memories in my brain. Likewise for the rest of you.

It's about as likely as any other god theory.

I'm a bit late to the party, but let me try to dissuade this brain-in-a-jar philosophy
- If I am the measure of intelligence, then I exist (the original conclusion to that philosophy)
- If other people are at least as intelligent as me, or come up with things that I do no think of, then I know that they exist as much as I do.
- If other people exist separately from my own conscious, and they exist, then they would continue to exist when I stop thinking about them.
     -Thus complex interactions would still happen, that have nothing to do with me in any way.
     - If it is constructed for me, then there would be far less complex interactions between others when I am not around. Wars, politics, engineering, and so forth that I am incapable of understanding would not happen.
     - If they have complex interactions when I am not around, then they are just as complex as me, which makes them being constructs of a higher being a moot point, since I fit the same definition.

- If people in general exist, but the world is created around us by a collective conscious, then our collective beliefs would cause the complex conclusions of scientific experiments.
     - Thus our expectations would more often be validated, rather than disproven.
     - We would have proved long ago that diseases are caused my the balance of 4 bodily humors, that light and spirit travel in ether, and the human soul would weighs 21 grams. These were all dominant theories for a very long time.

- If the people in general exist, and the world is created around us by yet another being, then there would be some focus to the creation (as their must be for it to be called a creation rather than a byproduct or waste product).
- If the world is created around people, and the focus is us, then the creator is blind and dumb. He would have to be to think any of our designs as good designs.
     - Waste disposal does not go next to vital-for-life continuation
     - Eyes should not have blood vessels over the very things that sense light
     - dozens of other examples if you need them
- If the world is created around us, and the focus is not us
     - Then every deity whos focus IS us is incompatible with the universe we see.

So thus we come to these conclusions
- Our consciousness's, the only things we can be sure exist, are not complex enough to create the experiences we have
- Even if our consciousness was complex enough to create experiences, they would not agree with the world we actually do experience
- Every form of existence that requires a continually made construct around us would necessitate several things
1. That the senses we have are continuously updated with science-consistent information
2. That the creator is worse at engineering than humans are

I find those propositions incompatible with a brain-in-a-jar scenario.

Edit: I'm not satisfied with "it's unlikely", as I personally think that a meaningful god is, in general, disproven. We can always create a new version of go that fits with verifiable evidence, but it is a weaker concept each time. I think we can cut down the concept until nothing left exists in any meaningful way.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:50:30 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 194