Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187682 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #420 on: December 10, 2010, 08:02:55 pm »

But if you were to put a number on the chance and compare it to how many time sit happens.... Hell that is science and would support the theory just as much as people support the Big Bang

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2010, 08:09:54 pm »

Uh... wouldn't've said so.  With enough people and enough potential events, stuff like that can happen.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »

This just in:  Children are wizards!  Film at 11.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2010, 05:50:43 am »

Actually I have personally experienced  a few moments of "magic". I threw a fit one day begging my mom not to let the cat out. It probably would of been the thousandth time he'd be let out, so there was no reason for my to throw such a fit (I was like, 8). She let him out anyway and on the way home we found him ran over :(

Sad story but the point is the chances of that happening are extremely rare and only seem to happen to children. I really don't believe in esp or anything but experience has told me otherwise.

But if you were to put a number on the chance and compare it to how many time sit happens.... Hell that is science and would support the theory just as much as people support the Big Bang

The number you need to compare is how many times you threw a fit and nothing happened or something happened when you didn't throw a fit. Don't forget people don't remember common events only uncommon ones and so when you look back at your life it's the low chance things that are still clear.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 11, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »

Doesn't have to be one person. And the children don't need to remember anything.

Get like, 1000 parents to monitor their child's activity.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 11, 2010, 04:41:35 pm »

The number you need to compare is how many times you threw a fit and nothing happened or something happened when you didn't throw a fit. Don't forget people don't remember common events only uncommon ones and so when you look back at your life it's the low chance things that are still clear.
Yeah, the whole "It happens so often that I think of someone and then that someone calls me! I must be psychic or something!"-thing. I'm not saying it isn't true, it's just that it A: probably happens less than you think and B: unless you can make accurate predictions with it, it's a pretty useless 20/20-hindsight-skill. Like praying.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2010, 05:01:55 pm »

Thinking of someone and then getting a phone call from them seems like coincidence. I'm sure you think about someone several times a day but never get a call. But throwing a fit about not wanting your cat to go outside, then having it die? Idk.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »

Seems like a coincidence to me.

I mean, you were eight at the time right? You might have had a reason for throwing the fit that you don't remember.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 11, 2010, 05:36:25 pm »

? But I do remember it. I just suddenly didn't want my mom to let the cat out and screamed for her not to let him.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »

Could it be because the weather (and therefore visibility) was particularly bad that night?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 11, 2010, 06:29:10 pm »

? But I do remember it. I just suddenly didn't want my mom to let the cat out and screamed for her not to let him.
He means, how many "fits" did you have as a child that you don't remember because they didn't have such a dramatic outcome?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:08 pm »

That's why I say run an experiment.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #432 on: December 11, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

How? How could that situation be experimentally reproduced?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 11, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

How? How could that situation be experimentally reproduced?

I'm going to need 100 beloved pets and an automobile.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #434 on: December 11, 2010, 07:10:41 pm »

And a large Department of Defense grant.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 194