Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187812 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #405 on: December 10, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »

Which is why I called it the most likely postion someone never learned of religion would take.
Actually, it's magic. You can see it in children, and in isolated "nature-religion" tribes. "Hey, I wiggled my hand once on a full moon and my aunt got a boy instead of a girl, that must be it!". Magic being: correlating causes and effects without scientific rigor. It's pretty cool to see what they (kids) come up with. Sometimes the correlation is "true" (the use of medicinal herbs), but more often it just isn't (the use of useless herbs as if they were medicinal).

Now if you combine that with our natural need to anthropomorphise animals, objects and events, it's easy to see where "gods" come from.

Actually I have personally experienced  a few moments of "magic". I threw a fit one day begging my mom not to let the cat out. It probably would of been the thousandth time he'd be let out, so there was no reason for my to throw such a fit (I was like, 8). She let him out anyway and on the way home we found him ran over :(

Sad story but the point is the chances of that happening are extremely rare and only seem to happen to children. I really don't believe in esp or anything but experience has told me otherwise.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 10, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »

Sad story but the point is the chances of that happening are extremely rare and only seem to happen to children. I really don't believe in esp or anything but experience has told me otherwise.
That stuff happens all the time, but until you can reliably repeat it, it was probably nothing. Your mind wants to believe otherwise though, superstition is somehow ingrained in us.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 10, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »

That stuff happens all the time, but until you can reliably repeat it, it was probably nothing. Your mind wants to believe otherwise though, superstition is somehow ingrained in us.
It's not "somehow" ingrained. Magical Thinking is a vital sign of mental growth in children from about ages 6-12. That's why they believe in Santa Claus and the like. After that, they'll tend to become more skeptical and discard their superstitious beliefs unless conditioned to do otherwise, which may stunt said mental growth by not moving to the next step.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 10, 2010, 03:45:12 pm »

It depends on what you regard as "mental growth". Most people seem to think that the summit of mental growth is at the point where they are.  ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 10, 2010, 03:48:54 pm »

That's because their minds have yet to reach the next level of growth. They cannot comprehend it. Did you care about ethics or politics when you were eight years old? Of course not. None of us did, because we weren't old enough to truly get the ideas.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #410 on: December 10, 2010, 03:51:00 pm »

I think he means more adults who think learning is something they stopped doing when they got their bachelor's degree.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 10, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »

Did you care about ethics or politics when you were eight years old? Of course not.
Ethics and politics are definitely not the summit of mental growth. Politics, especially, that's more like mental (My english fails me here. Mental shrinking sounds too therapist, mental degradation sounds too much like a sports team that just didn't make it, mental declination, mental degeneration!) degeneration. See, even letting me think about it already affects my mad language skillzz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 10, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »

(snide comment redacted)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 10, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »

Did you care about ethics or politics when you were eight years old? Of course not.
Ethics and politics are definitely not the summit of mental growth. Politics, especially, that's more like mental (My english fails me here. Mental shrinking sounds too therapist, mental degradation sounds too much like a sports team that just didn't make it, mental declination, mental degeneration!) degeneration. See, even letting me think about it already affects my mad language skillzz.

I'd say they're higher levels of thought, though, than an 8-year-old can handle. Or, possibly, than an 8-year-old wants to handle. Well, ok, not all of politics is. A lot of it does involve pretty childish name-calling and blameshifting. Ethics and morals, though. I know a child's definition of "fair" changes as one gets older, for instance; I, and most children I knew (and I'm given to understand this is a wider trend, but I can't cite anything), at one point thought it was only fair if everyone was treated absolutely identically, but later on the notion that people ought to be rewarded in proportion to their contributions became more relevant, and I think that kind of situationalism is probably a higher degree of thought on the matter.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 10, 2010, 05:38:02 pm »

I, and most children I knew (and I'm given to understand this is a wider trend, but I can't cite anything), at one point thought it was only fair if everyone was treated absolutely identically, but later on the notion that people ought to be rewarded in proportion to their contributions became more relevant, and I think that kind of situationalism is probably a higher degree of thought on the matter.
Personally, I think that's spoonfed ethics. But yes, 8-years olds do practice playground-politics and ethics.
If only they got better at it when they grow up...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #415 on: December 10, 2010, 05:51:29 pm »

They do get better at it.

Or, at least they get better at abstracting it. And in some ways, many ways, that makes our ethics in practice worse. But it also allows us to consider more of the effects of our ethical positions. And it also makes them more consistent.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 10, 2010, 05:58:55 pm »

"I dislike politics, therefore everyone who engages in it is inferior to me in terms of mental development".

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 10, 2010, 06:01:20 pm »

And it also makes them more consistent.
I regard that as a bad thing. If you can't change your mind, you can't learn.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »

And it also makes them more consistent.
I regard that as a bad thing. If you can't change your mind, you can't learn.
It has nothing to do with mind changing, it has everything to do with forming a static stance on the issues that can go an hour without changing radically because you want cookies.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »

Well, it's less about stasis and more about avoiding self-contradiction. Your views can still change, but adults are better at recognizing their hypocrisies.

Says nothing about their willingness to not be a hypocrite though.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 194