Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187673 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #360 on: December 09, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »

I preferred the Judaic hell, or at least my understanding of it.  If you're sufficiently flawed...they simply unmake you in the fires.  Poof.  Time to be reforged from scratch.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 09, 2010, 07:18:58 pm »

I preferred the Judaic hell, or at least my understanding of it.  If you're sufficiently flawed...they simply unmake you in the fires.  Poof.  Time to be reforged from scratch.
Cool, so no penalty.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #362 on: December 09, 2010, 07:23:53 pm »

Well first of all, everything we think we know about the afterlife is just speculation. There isn't really anything all that concrete in the religious texts to back up any modern view of things. If there is a "hell" that's anything like contemporary description, the pain it inflicts won't be corporeal, either.

Actually, you know what? This is likely just going to turn into a walkthrough of many of the classic arguments and counterarguments, which will eventually cycle back to my belief that it's a question with no answer, thus meaningless to discuss.

Siquo was absolutely right; what am I doing in here? My perspective is fairly useless to both sides of the debate.

Before I go and try my hardest not to come back, I'll just say that contemplating the nature of an omniscient, omnipotent being, whether it exists or not, is impossible. Understanding the nature of a god would probably require experiencing what it's like to have those same properties. (this is actually a classic argument, and it has classic counters, which themselves have classic counters, whatever, I don't really care) So to be unable to come up with answers, then to ask another mortal with limited understanding about it, and then claiming their unsatisfactory answers as proof or reassurance of any kind, is something you probably want to do with some forethought.

Anyway, Flat Earth Society, Time Cube, Magnets, how do they work, etc.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 09, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »

Flat Earth Society, Time Cube

Good reading if you need an aneurysm.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 09, 2010, 07:26:43 pm »

Ah, the eternal afterlife.  And apparently that pain was necessary to... uh... do something or other.  Oh, right, necessary for some people but not others.  On an apparently randomly selected basis.

And yeah, I do think the things God apparently does around the world are inexcusable.

That's Genesis for you: he gave us everything, and we turned out to be disobedient spoiled brats. And God was all like "Ok, then you can go find out for yourself, and if you fall, I'll pick you up." or whatever, and humans went all like WTF, if you don't catch us you're goddamned evil, you SOB, and God said "well first of all I don't have a ma so that's a bit cruel" and humans were all "oh ok that was a bit low but you're still evil" and God was like yeah, but if I gave you everything you wanted, you would all be me so what's the use and humans went all damn, he's right, but we still want it, and God said to them "Lo and behold and such, you're all me for eternity, but you get all also get memories from a miserable and great time on earth, and humans were like oh, memories, great, and God said yeah I just made em right HERE. And somewhere in the middle of those memories was this guy who slept too little and went on this awesome rant. Blink with your eyes and ten years have passed. You're just a memory.
I don't think it's possible to respond to this with anything other than lolwat, to be honest.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 09, 2010, 07:39:21 pm »

There's an old sci-fi story that somebody once summarized for me, that I really wish I could find.  No idea what the name was, or who the author was, though surely it was just a short story:

First contact with aliens.  Within a year, we've got the whole cultural-exchange thing going on of course, and a religious group starts introducing the aliens to the concept of the western God, explains to them all the stories, the meanings, etcetera.  The aliens listen quietly until the end, then ask "And this God is a real being?"  "Well, yes, of course."  "Then it is the duty of every intelligent race in the universe to oppose him at any cost!"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:39 pm »

why would an inteligent entity create a universe in the first place? why would said inteligent entity create a bunch of lesser entities ruled by a RNG, then punish or reward them based on the behaviors the RNG he programmed dictated? why the hell would said entity test us for? what possible motivation would a perfect, omnipotent entity have to create or do *anything* at all

it's bigger than us, our minds aren't supposed to understand... but we're supposed to believe in it unconditionally...
supposedly it makes more sense to believe that existence was brought into existence by a sentient, intelligent, magical entity... cuz it was bored? why can't the world simply make no sense and existence itself simply be just a coincidence? i tell you why, cuz you theists are all a bunch of anthropocentrists, sentience-centrists, biocentrists... There's no right or wrong outside of human mind, no good and bad or living and dead, the universe itself doesn't care if you exist or not, but in your eyes such thing must not be possible, it is obvious a bigger, better, human mind had to be behind creation, for a great purpose that you all serve, but are doomed to not understand, because not understanding it serves the great cause better.

I'll tell you what the great cause is, it's just that, mathematically speaking, if something exists and keeps existing, it tends to exist longer than things that cease to exist or never existed in the first place, making existence a self enforcing emergent value, the only *moral* value all the objects in the universe adhere to, cuz if they didn't they wouldn't exist. Existence just needs to exist, and it will exist, while a creator needs a motivation, AND, it needs to exist. Assuming that a single requirement is easier to meet than two requirements, i think we can all agree that it is more reasonable to believe that:
 -existence always existed, even if it is hard or impossible to understand how that is possible.
than to believe that:
 -a creator always existed and had a good reason to create something else even if it is hard or impossible to understand how that is possible.
which for me is as easy to believe as:
 -a creator always existed and had a good reason to create something else, and it has the shape of a pink unicorn with butterfly wings and external ribs. beware of it's poisonous sting... it's impossible to disprove, and i like pink unicorns and butterflies, and poisonous stings are awesome.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:49:18 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 09, 2010, 08:19:01 pm »

i think we can all agree that it is more reasonable to believe that:
 -existence always existed, even if it is hard or impossible to understand how that is possible.
than to believe that:
 -a creator always existed and had a good reason to create something else even if it is hard or impossible to understand how that is possible.
Nope, we can't all agree.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2010, 09:08:43 pm »

Assuming that a single requirement is easier to meet than two requirements, i think we can all agree...
*provided we're making the same assumptions

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 09, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »

Ok, that's fair, but it's also kind of meaningless.  "Assuming that all A is easier than all B, we can agree that some A is easier than some B".  I'd just dispute your assumptions.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 09, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »

go ahead and make your case

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 09, 2010, 09:24:29 pm »

The universe has a starting point.  God is generally considered not to require a starting point.  It's special pleading, but EVERYTHING is special pleading when you're talking about the start of causality.

I assert that the universe could not have been "always here" and I think you might agree.  So what made it pop into existence?

I think my argument is that "God's existence violates causality" is more acceptable than "The universe's existence violates causality", because I like to think as the universe as a thing whose origin would obey its own laws.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:24 pm »

How about: "the universe existence seems to violate casuality, but it's only because we don't really know shit about it's laws."

I can't stand the religion's insistence on giving definite, populsitic answers to difficult questions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 09, 2010, 09:34:34 pm »

I assert that discussing time-based concepts like "always", it is meaningless to discuss time outside the universe. I don't mean that I'm defining it that way because I think time is meaningless with no matter in the universe or anything, I mean that I assert that time itself did not exist prior to the universe, because time is an aspect of the space-time which comprises the universe and the universe obviously could not have existed prior to itself.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »

Good point. In this sense, it is logically correct to say that the universe existed "always", as well as "everywhere". It's like god, see? Eternal and all-encompasing.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 194