Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187716 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #345 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:18 pm »

What if the suffering was a test to see who is a Good Person, helping others in there suffering, and who is a Bad Person, taking advantage of others pain.
Yeah, something like Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is a brilliant way to tell if people are good or bad.
Or Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva. Sorry little Timmy, you get to slowly die over your twenty-five year lifespan as your muscles turn to bone and you lose all ability to do anything. Sorry again for preforming medical tests that actually accelerated the disease before we knew what it was, but I'm sure this is all just a test from god for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »

I think it's widely believed that all babies go to heaven, as they have not even begun to sin.

You can try.
Although that's not an interpretation supported by the bible or the catholic church... sure, whatever.

And why should God get a pass for it when I don't?  I mean, killing children is apparently vital to "testing" people!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »

He's less killing children and more not stopping them from dieing.

I'm sure that when we finally catch this guy his sentencing will be very harsh.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2010, 06:26:24 pm »

He's less killing children and more not stopping them from dieing.
Ah, right.  So if I see my child start to drown in the bath, it'd be perfectly acceptable to walk away and leave them to die?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »

Pretty hard to assign morals to someone who knows way more about the universe than you.  Should the rosebush hate the gardener who trims it?  And how the hell do you know what happens after death?  Heaven and especially hell are unlikely, but "God is horrible because he lets people die" seems disingenuous to me, especially when God is usually inextricably linked to something existing after or beyond death.  If God stepped in and started curing random things, we wouldn't learn to cure them ourselves...  Me, I kinda like a small part of the Mormon belief, the one where God wants us to become fellow creators ourselves.  Hey, maybe this is boot camp.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:35 pm »

Hey, we're getting a little heated here. Try to calm down; I know people are saying distasteful things, but if we want to be able to talk about this at all it's important not to rise to the bait.

It is possible to test somebody to determine if they are a good person or not, and still have that test be cruel and unnecessary (without necessarily being sadistic). As much as you might believe it is a test of a person's strength of character to doom their child to a slow and painful death, the (possible) fact that it accomplishes that doesn't negate the horrible, pointless pain and death inflicted on the victim.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »

Ah, right.  So if I see my child start to drown in the bath, it'd be perfectly acceptable to walk away and leave them to die?
I had this whole sarcastic Pessimistic Nihilistic rant thing thought up when I just remembered this is the internet, and every debate by definition is vapid, infantile and pointless.

I truly have nothing more to say.

Carry on.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2010, 06:33:27 pm »

Remember, pain is corporeal, while religion teaches that we are more than corporeal.  Ergo, pain is not -real- to God, and once we reach whatever afterlife or transcendence there is, it will not be real to us, either.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2010, 06:36:19 pm »

I'ma have to agree with Sowelu on this one.

If you're gonna go ahead and assume God is real for the purposes of your thought exercise, you must also assume an afterlife, because I've never heard of any explanation where you have one but not the other.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2010, 06:37:39 pm »

Sorry, it's just that this issue does strike a personal nerve.  Three, in fact.

Pretty hard to assign morals to someone who knows way more about the universe than you.  Should the rosebush hate the gardener who trims it?  And how the hell do you know what happens after death?  Heaven and especially hell are unlikely, but "God is horrible because he lets people die" seems disingenuous to me, especially when God is usually inextricably linked to something existing after or beyond death.  If God stepped in and started curing random things, we wouldn't learn to cure them ourselves...  Me, I kinda like a small part of the Mormon belief, the one where God wants us to become fellow creators ourselves.  Hey, maybe this is boot camp.
It doesn't really matter.  Inflicting huge amounts of pain, suffering and anguish on innocent people is simply wrong, especially if your omnipotence means it's completely unnecessary.  If God does regard doing horrible things to good people as a "test", I want nothing to do with him.

In addition, if he "needs" to test people by putting them through this stuff, why is he ok with sending babies straight to the afterlife without any kind of test at all?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »

Remember, pain is corporeal, while religion teaches that we are more than corporeal.  Ergo, pain is not -real- to God, and once we reach whatever afterlife or transcendence there is, it will not be real to us, either.

But it's real now. And as an omnipotent deity, God could prevent that in any number of ways. He could have defined Goodness in such a way as to make unnecessary pain, created humanity with the pain-caused Goodness already inherent, or (better still) have made corporeal pain a consequence of evil, rather than arbitrary and random chance or (as can be the case) corporeal good.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »

That's the place where omnipotence stops, for me.  Saying "He could create a world where goodness is inherant without the need for pain" might require changing something about the universe that is beyond his control.  Like I said, it's the "can God create a rock heavier than He can lift"--it might even turn out to be a logical impossibility.  (IE, if goodness must be found through free will, then it is not logically possible to create a creature with free will and inherant goodness).

This, by the way, is my major beef with Christianity.  God just stepped in and changed the rules with Jesus, and that doesn't make any sense at all to me.  There's...a lot of issues I have surrounding that part, in fact.  I'm not advocating for the Christian god or for Jesus, there's too much wrong there.

I continue to assert that for God's purposes, pain doesn't exist in the way we think it does.  Oh yeah it's terrible, but that's to our bodies and not our souls.  Blindly asserting it again doesn't really make it any more true or compelling, but that's my viewpoint for why the existence of pain isn't evil on the part of the creator.

(Also:  This whole thing has to do with a God who actually cares about life, humanity, the afterlife, etc.  I think that it's a very distinct concept from the Prime Mover, who is completely apathetic towards the human condition, doesn't get involved whatsoever after throwing the switch, and does not require an afterlife.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2010, 06:51:20 pm »

It clearly isn't a logical impossibility, though.  There are good people in the world who have never suffered at all.

(Also:  This whole thing has to do with a God who actually cares about life, humanity, the afterlife, etc.  I think that it's a very distinct concept from the Prime Mover, who is completely apathetic towards the human condition, doesn't get involved whatsoever after throwing the switch, and does not require an afterlife.)
And who is on about the same existence level as the Invisible Pink Unicorn, as far as I can tell :/.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »

Insomniac Rants ahead (but awesome!) Time for bed.

God totally can fulfill every human desire without ruining our ability to interact with the world happily;
Ah, He could, but you wouldn't be you, you'd be someone else than you are now. And perhaps he has, and has just implanted you with memories of bad stuff to make you your unique self. Omnipotence is tricky like that.
Crucially, she carries on living afterwards, so she at least has an opportuiny to make benefit from it.
Yeah, and God's got an afterlife for us, that lasts an eternity. By his standards of age, we are only two-year olds (so no, that wasn't an insult, it's a relativity thing that goes for all of us).
If you have the power to prevent suffering, lose nothing by doing so, and choose not to act, then you are evil.
My daughter likes icecream, and even if it were good for you, she still wouldn't get it every day, because she'd become a spoiled brat.

That's Genesis for you: he gave us everything, and we turned out to be disobedient spoiled brats. And God was all like "Ok, then you can go find out for yourself, and if you fall, I'll pick you up." or whatever, and humans went all like WTF, if you don't catch us you're goddamned evil, you SOB, and God said "well first of all I don't have a ma so that's a bit cruel" and humans were all "oh ok that was a bit low but you're still evil" and God was like yeah, but if I gave you everything you wanted, you would all be me so what's the use and humans went all damn, he's right, but we still want it, and God said to them "Lo and behold and such, you're all me for eternity, but you get all also get memories from a miserable and great time on earth, and humans were like oh, memories, great, and God said yeah I just made em right HERE. And somewhere in the middle of those memories was this guy who slept too little and went on this awesome rant. Blink with your eyes and ten years have passed. You're just a memory.

It doesn't really matter.  Inflicting huge amounts of pain, suffering and anguish on innocent people is simply wrong
Oh and suddenly the atheist comes with Absolute Morals. This thread is going the wrong way around...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 09, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »

Wait... if pain is corporeal, then I have nothing to fear from hell (if such a place exists) because I won't feel pain.  Heck, it may even tickle.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 194