Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187723 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2010, 05:34:50 pm »

I take plenty of issue with anyone who says God has any intention or duty to make this world perfect and suffering-less for humans.  Omnibenevolence is IMO a silly concept.  Much more sensible (if kind of weird and still not that sensible) is the idea that any God who's active in our day-to-day life sees us more as...I dunno, semi-adopted wild animals.  You've got your house out in the woods, and most of the time the critters are just there, but maybe you hang up a hummingbird feeder, or throw out some peanuts for the squirrels.  Powerful, could do a lot if they wanted, but just don't think they have any reason to.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2010, 05:40:02 pm »

That would be fine with me, if it weren't for believers the world over insisting on their God's ultimate goodness, power, and relationship with humans. If God or his believers make an omnibenevolence claim, then that claim must be fufilled or dropped for said god to be consistant. If god is not consistant, then chances are that we shouldn't be trusting in it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

omnibenevolence /
man from dirt /
fuckin' theology /
how does it work?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2010, 05:51:26 pm »

In this world, however, were people are born with crippling, ultimately fatal genetic diseases, where there are parasites that live in children's eyes and all sorts of stuff that seems designed to cause as much random, irreversable suffering as possible...
Perception. In my daughter's world, the absolute worst thing that can happen is not getting icecream when she wants it, and there are a lot of things out of her control (and in my control) that she would like to change. Eating vegetables, for instance, is a torture beyond measure. "If my daddy really loved me he wouldn't let me eat this shit". In your world, it's kids with parasites in their eyes. In God's world, who knows?

Yeah, the Job story strikes me as a perfect example of sadism.  Not the classic kind you think of... a more subtle, manipulative kind.  The kind thatan abusive husband uses, perhaps.
Your ideas of suffering need relativity. If I jumble the pieces of a puzzle to see if she can still do it, am I torturing the puzzle-maker in a subtle manipulative way?

Towards my daughter I feel omnibenevolence, as far as a human can feel such a thing. That doesn't mean doing what she wants. People who insist that God isn't omnibenevolent because there's suffering in the world, haven't grown up since they were two and a half. IMNSHO.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2010, 05:57:45 pm »

Except, here's the thing. You don't have omnipotence; that you don't do everything your child wants doesn't reflect poorly on you, because not only can you NOT do so, attempting it would ruin her expectations of how the world ought to work and essentially destroy her ability to be happy in the future. God totally can fulfill every human desire without ruining our ability to interact with the world happily; He could even define human desire to be such that we don't want to have things that might impact us negatively. If you have the power to relieve suffering, without any negative consequences, and doing so requires little to no effort on your part, and you actually created the circumstances that led to that suffering (as is the case with the Christian God, anyway, and most of the other omnipotent & omnibenevolent deities) then failure to do so does, in fact, constitute malevolence. The God as a parent analogy doesn't work because God is fundamentally different from parents in terms of what he can do, if He's defined as omnipotent.

An omnibenevolent deity is possible, provided He or She is not also defined as omnipotent simultaneously. You can't have both in a world with suffering.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:54 pm »

An omnibenevolent deity is possible, provided He or She is not also defined as omnipotent simultaneously. You can't have both in a world with suffering.
Such a being would care for dirt as much as it cared for Bob over there.  Omnibenevolence is a pretty sad life, especially with us tossing all those electrons around.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »

You guys keep arguing about how a Omnipotent god must be a dick, as if that is the only kind of god there is.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2010, 06:08:40 pm »

You can only take omnipotence so far.  Christian theology already addresses free will; He chooses to forego his omnipotence in a wide area where our free will is concerned out of choice, probably because it's better for us (more benevolent).

I don't think you can argue "God can just change the rules to make anything possible so that we're always happy".  For one thing, you wind up a logical fallacy like "can God make a rock heavier than he can lift".  But also...well, hell, who's to say that allowing suffering isn't benevolent?  I sure as hell think it is.  That's why I'm not hopped up on ten thousand illicit substances all the time.  Besides, a lot of us are DF players, we know that doing things the hard way makes us happier.

"But only for trivial things; banishing death and disease wouldn't make the world a worse place!" -- how do YOU know?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2010, 06:12:45 pm »

Perception. In my daughter's world, the absolute worst thing that can happen is not getting icecream when she wants it, and there are a lot of things out of her control (and in my control) that she would like to change. Eating vegetables, for instance, is a torture beyond measure. "If my daddy really loved me he wouldn't let me eat this shit". In your world, it's kids with parasites in their eyes. In God's world, who knows?
It's not remotely equivalent.  Your daughter has a chance to learn from the experience, and may be taught something.  Crucially, she carries on living afterwards, so she at least has an opportuiny to make benefit from it.

On the other hand, what is God trying to teach someone with Cystic Fibrosis?  Don't be born in a body with a serious, uncurable, unavoidable and ultimately fatal genetic disorder?  There's nothing that can possibly be learnt from it, since the person almost always ends up dead at a young age.

e puzzle-maker in a subtle manipulative way?

Towards my daughter I feel omnibenevolence, as far as a human can feel such a thing. That doesn't mean doing what she wants. People who insist that God isn't omnibenevolent because there's suffering in the world, haven't grown up since they were two and a half. IMNSHO.
Hey, so you do make cheap insults.  Good to know.

Anyway, there is a real, quantitive difference between what you describe and what God did to Lot.  What would be more equivalent is beating your daughter every night and still teaching her that "daddy loves you".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »

If you have the power to prevent suffering, lose nothing by doing so, and choose not to act, then you are evil. I'm sorry, but there's no way around it. People like to live, and they don't like to be in pain (generally). I know that banishing disease would make the world a better place, because the disease we already banished ourselves (Smallpox) caused untold suffering that is now gone. Allowing suffering is simply not a good thing.

Now, I don't have a problem with any of this because I don't believe any gods exist, benevolent or otherwise, but arguing that untold suffering is a good thing is somthing I simply cannot leave alone. You don't learn from adversity when it destroys you, which our world's adversity has a tendincy to do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2010, 06:17:35 pm »

What if the suffering was a test to see who is a Good Person, helping others in there suffering, and who is a Bad Person, taking advantage of others pain.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2010, 06:18:35 pm »

What if the suffering was a test to see who is a Good Person, helping others in there suffering, and who is a Bad Person, taking advantage of others pain.
Yeah, something like Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is a brilliant way to tell if people are good or bad.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »

Seeing how the parent deal with the tragedy.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:07 pm »

What about the child, firstly.

Secondly, can I use that as justification for child murder?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2010, 06:21:44 pm »

I think it's widely believed that all babies go to heaven, as they have not even begun to sin.

You can try.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 194