Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187788 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »

Mostly because it's a joke, but yeah.

Of course, because she isn't real, but if anyone showed any kind of indication she was then there is plenty of good arguments people have made for that conclusion.

Just that otherwise it's hard to explain why an omnipotent God would act the way he does (or doesn't).

The only other one I heard was that he is sadistic so yer pretty much.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »

The only other one I heard was that he is sadistic so yer pretty much.
Testing is not sadistic. I have to reprimand my child once in a while, and I don't enjoy doing it. Sometimes, I let her climb something that I know she will fall off from, just so she has the opportunity to learn. Laissez-faire is not sadism, it's necessary to let children become adults. When she doesn't get something that she wants, she's so sad it's like the end of the world (she's 2.5 yrs old, btw). I can totally see a benevolent God up there, letting all the bad stuff happen down here, because what we think is the end of the world or really really bad is merely a bump in the head in the grand scheme of things.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 09, 2010, 03:02:56 pm »

On the other hand you don't place things she needs high up forcing her to climb and fall for your amusement. At least I assume you don't as that got well beyond testing.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 09, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »

On the other hand you don't place things she needs high up forcing her to climb and fall for your amusement.
This assumed a god would do these things for amusement.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »

for your amusement
Nope, but I do it to let her learn how to climb. So where this cynical idea that God is amused comes from, I don't know. If you heard him laugh, at least you got proof it exists :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:55 pm »

This assumed a god would do these things for amusement.

To be fair my response was just because siquos was kinda random I'm not sure why he thought I was talking about testing. But yes it does assume that.

Nope, but I do it to let her learn how to climb. So where this cynical idea that God is amused comes from, I don't know. If you heard him laugh, at least you got proof it exists :)

I'd take that as proof :)
Personally I think if there was a god she would have slipped up and given at least one hint by now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:22 pm »

Well that depends on if your version of god is fallible or not.

Typically, monotheistic gods are infallible. The only fallible gods I know of are polytheistic ones, usually due to squabbling or the like.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

Typically, monotheistic gods are infallible. The only fallible gods I know of are polytheistic ones, usually due to squabbling or the like.

There are more of them though, so law of averages and all ;)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

There are more of them though, so law of averages and all ;)

Or Conservation of Ninjutsu.  :)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #324 on: December 09, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »

Hehehe, if everyone chose their worldview based on the law of averages, I guess we'd all be Hindu.

330,000 gods is a lot.  :P
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 09, 2010, 03:27:47 pm »

Hehehe, if everyone chose their worldview based on the law of averages, I guess we'd all be Hindu.

330,000 gods is a lot.  :P

Wikipedia claims 330 million on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hindu_deities :) (and 330 000 on the main article) all about religion matches the first number. Although it should be pointed out that Hinduism is monotheistic (and also has a trinity like pretty much every other religion)

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 09, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

I just have one thing to say that I think pretty much sums up threads like this:

"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 09, 2010, 04:02:21 pm »

"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Well that's just down right silly. There are plenty of things we can get to the truth of. Always learning is a good place to start though.

(Personally I'd consider the subject of this thread one of them although I know others would differ in that respect)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 09, 2010, 05:12:25 pm »

To be fair my response was just because siquos was kinda random I'm not sure why he thought I was talking about testing. But yes it does assume that.
Random? No, because you said sadistic, I was reminded of the book of Job*. Job is tortured by God (or the devil with God's consent but whatever), but it's actually a test that he passes. You could take it literal and say the God is a gambling sadistic SOB, or conclude from it that bad stuff doesn't just happen, your faith is tested through perseverance, and even though it does, God still loves you. This can help people enormously when going through bad times.

The whole idea that you should protect from harm that which you love is completely bunk. I'd get an annoying spoiled little brat if I did. And now don't compare death to a bump in the head, it's all relative as was said before.

*(Disclaimer: I've only read parts of the bible, and never had any education on it (I was raised an atheist))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 09, 2010, 05:17:58 pm »

Testing is not sadistic. I have to reprimand my child once in a while, and I don't enjoy doing it. Sometimes, I let her climb something that I know she will fall off from, just so she has the opportunity to learn. Laissez-faire is not sadism, it's necessary to let children become adults. When she doesn't get something that she wants, she's so sad it's like the end of the world (she's 2.5 yrs old, btw). I can totally see a benevolent God up there, letting all the bad stuff happen down here, because what we think is the end of the world or really really bad is merely a bump in the head in the grand scheme of things.
Yeah, in a different world, one where suffering is limited and mostly self inflicted, this would be a strong argument.

In this world, however, were people are born with crippling, ultimately fatal genetic diseases, where there are parasites that live in children's eyes and all sorts of stuff that seems designed to cause as much random, irreversable suffering as possible...

Random? No, because you said sadistic, I was reminded of the book of Job*. Job is tortured by God (or the devil with God's consent but whatever), but it's actually a test that he passes. You could take it literal and say the God is a gambling sadistic SOB, or conclude from it that bad stuff doesn't just happen, your faith is tested through perseverance, and even though it does, God still loves you. This can help people enormously when going through bad times.
Yeah, the Job story strikes me as a perfect example of sadism.  Not the classic kind you think of... a more subtle, manipulative kind.  The kind thatan abusive husband uses, perhaps.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 194