Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187742 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »

No. Santa actually gave presents.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »

The hell he did! Socks != Presents.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »

The hell he did! Socks != Presents.
Whenever Santa doesn't give good presents, it's your parents fault. Whenever he does, it's Santa you must praise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »

you have to die to get them, actually. if you're a suicide bomber you get 50 virgins

is it okay to insult people whose belief is generally accepted as idiotic? can i call a scientology victim an idiot, for example?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2010, 10:52:06 pm »

is it okay to insult people whose belief is generally accepted as idiotic? can i call a scientology victim an idiot, for example?

I'd prefer it if you didn't. It'd be so much more effective to tell them why what they believe is wrong, and let them draw the conclusion for themselves. A lot likelier to make it stick, too. Nobody in history has been convinced that they were an idiot by being told that they were an idiot.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »

Gotta say Bauglir, I'm glad you were the OP.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2010, 11:02:23 pm »

you have to die to get them, actually. if you're a suicide bomber you get 50 virgins

I thought it was 72?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2010, 12:22:44 am »

Bauglir is single-handedly trying to keep this thread from becoming a hate-fest where everyone rants about their least-favorite worldviews.

Not an easy task and I definitely can respect the effort.

tl;dr: There are basically two kinds of religious people, those that exploit it and those that need it. Please distinguish between the two when throwing down blanket statements like "all religion is evil and should be abolished".

Also, want to debate logic and reason with someone, but this one lowly thread doesn't quite satisfy your desire for intellectual checkmate? Might I recommend the Flat Earth Society? Go to the forums. Try to convince them that the earth is round. Good luck; many have gone before you and came away frustrated and losing hope for the human race.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:30 am »

Might I recommend the Flat Earth Society?
Excuse me, I need to go smash my head against a wall untill I forget what I read on that site.

EDIT: Their Administrator has 8000 posts. Wha- I do- ther- aaonjgrqj rek
GLQ uyvbj[8ygrvka;\p KHGJPA=.VKGA G
V
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:39:41 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #294 on: December 09, 2010, 12:39:23 am »

Quote from: main page
"Because there are different schools of Flat Earth thought, the Wiki should not necessarily be taken as the "official" view of the Society. The specific beliefs of our members are widely varied, as should be expected from such a group of free-thinkers!"

EDIT FOR YOUR EDIT:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:58:07 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2010, 03:59:20 am »

and I was hoping we might, for once, get past that.
Twice, the last one lasted for 300+ pages before being closed for different reasons. Still, you're doing a good job.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 09, 2010, 04:35:16 am »

Calling idiots idiots is faster than explaining why the idiots' idiocy is idiotic. Anyways, idiocy isn't even what I'm on about...delusions is the name of the game!

Only got five minutes, so I'll be quick here:
But to go around saying everyone who follows religion is stupid, naive raving lunatics who absolutely need to stop and become atheists? Well, first of all, that makes you seem exactly like the religious strawmen you are attacking, and secondly, it basically makes you a Stop Having Fun Guy who wants to thoroughly dismantle the establishment, far beyond the assholes who should indeed be stopped, all the way through to the people whose lives you would legitimately ruin should your desires be made manifest.
We're a discussion on the internet, not the parliament. We're perfectly allowed to have intolerant, sweeping, destructive views and arguments, as long as they're right.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2010, 05:47:28 am »

We're a discussion on the internet, not the parliament. We're perfectly allowed to have intolerant, sweeping, destructive views and arguments, as long as they're right.

Yeah your allowed to -have- those views since nobody can control what you think, but its up to the forum owners discretion if your allowed to shove them down peoples throats.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2010, 05:56:05 am »

No, we aren't. If you want that kind of discussion, you know where to go.
I pretty much agree with you on the "religion is stupid" matter, but we're supposed to stay civil.
After all, I wouldn't like to be called a stupid Satan loving sinner, bound to go to hell to get raped by red hot metal rod by a fundamentalist Christian even through he think he's right too.

So stay calm and civil.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2010, 06:01:43 am »

Calling idiots idiots is faster than explaining why the idiots' idiocy is idiotic.
Saying the word "airplane" is faster than building one, but it won't let you fly. Calling someone an idiot will never convince him that his current viewpoint might be idiotic. And before you counter that that's impossible: if it were impossible there'd be no atheists.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 194