Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187760 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2010, 09:01:03 pm »

That's.....a bit insulting, wouldn't you say?
To whom? The one who actually do reason in a line not much dissimilar to that? Or those who are too comfortable with their preconceived notions of the world's workings to make uncomfortable accommodations to the unfortunate non-existence of god, using a roughly similar argument (usually replacing the 3. line with something along the lines of "therefore, a prime mover must exist")?

And seriously, Khan.  "Prime Mover" is a completely different philosophical concept from "Christian God".
Hardly. In most cases of discussion about the origin of the universe, the wish to justify one's belief in the christian god leads firstly to the pseudo-arguments for the existence of a prime mover, and then to the justification of christian or quasi-christian belief. Deism and the like stem from the same source, albeit with a lesser degree of religious detail.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:06 pm »

My personal thoughts on the matter is that we can only see so far in space because of an as of yet unknown/untested property of light. (maybe it decays after some time... maybe it is being deflected away from our sight by things in space... I don't know.)  With this limited visibility, we assume that our universe is only as big as we can see and therefore must have some limits and because of that, a start.  My thoughts on the whole deal is that the universe is more vast/infinite than we can currently understand and the decay measured by scientists (claiming the Big Bang evidence) is simply the after effect of some big event in our corner of space.  Maybe the bi-product of a super-massive explosion... maybe we are at the tail end of a Galactic Particle Emitter or something.  Still, it just feels wrong to say that it all came from a small speck that exploded and created mass and energy.

Back in '06, the pope got Stephen Hawking to come over for a chit chat. Said he believed in evolution, the big bang, and all that jazz. Paraphrasing, he said that his god likes explosions and created a big ol' ball of junk, threw it out into space, and watched it explode. Billions of years of natural processes later and *poof*, here we are. That's probably the closest viewpoint to the one I had when I considered myself to be a Christian.

Not that I believe it. The part about a god creating it, that is. The big bang? Sure, many geniuses know more about the matter than I.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2010, 09:04:10 pm »

My personal thoughts on the matter is that we can only see so far in space because of an as of yet unknown/untested property of light. (maybe it decays after some time... maybe it is being deflected away from our sight by things in space... I don't know.)  With this limited visibility, we assume that our universe is only as big as we can see and therefore must have some limits and because of that, a start.  My thoughts on the whole deal is that the universe is more vast/infinite than we can currently understand and the decay measured by scientists (claiming the Big Bang evidence) is simply the after effect of some big event in our corner of space.  Maybe the bi-product of a super-massive explosion... maybe we are at the tail end of a Galactic Particle Emitter or something.  Still, it just feels wrong to say that it all came from a small speck that exploded and created mass and energy.

Actually we know why we can see only a certain distance out. It's the speed of light. Any further than the observable universe, and it would have taken light longer than the current age of the universe to travel to Earth from its source.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2010, 09:10:57 pm »

1. The existence of anything rather than nothing does not make sense, as some poster explained.
2. Yet, something exists.
3. OH EM GEE IT MUST BE JESUS' DADDY WHO DUN IT!
That's.....a bit insulting, wouldn't you say?
To whom? The one who actually do reason in a line not much dissimilar to that? Or those who are too comfortable with their preconceived notions of the world's workings to make uncomfortable accommodations to the unfortunate non-existence of god, using a roughly similar argument (usually replacing the 3. line with something along the lines of "therefore, a prime mover must exist")?
The tone, specifically.

EDIT: Also, given points 1 and 2...  I'm pretty curious what you'd suggest for 3, if not a prime mover, and why.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:25:27 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:12 pm »

Actually we know why we can see only a certain distance out. It's the speed of light. Any further than the observable universe, and it would have taken light longer than the current age of the universe to travel to Earth from its source.
Yeah yeah... I was taught that in school, and taught that we can see to the beginning of the universe because of it.  Personal feeling though is that light can travel billions of years and it may be losing enough energy or being refracted out of our view... maybe even by the energy that is pushing us all through space.  I covered all this in the other thread and I don't feel like going over it all again.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2010, 11:36:05 pm »

About that Euler's identity kind of stuff: That is not in any way proof or evidence of a prime mover, an intelligence behind the entire universe. You will never find Euler's identity in real life. Neither will you find the number 0.5 in real life. There's always measuring inaccuracy, estimation and abstraction involved.
Euler's identity is a mathematical concept. Mathematics doesn't come from anywhere, is not a gift given to us by a prime mover. It's an abstract concept in and of itself, based on the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory. Mathematics is accurate. Real life is not.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:41:08 pm by MC Dirty »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2010, 05:10:41 am »

Real life is accurate, yet our measuring tools are not. We operate on a huge scale, compared to the probably-perfect-sphere-smallest-parts. Pi will not be different on a different planet with different mathematicians with 16 tentacles instead of 10 fingers. Unless they never invented the circle, or the concept of distance, in which case their "mathematics" are so alien that it's unimaginable, making the point moot.

Shrugging Khan, please stop it. If you can't approach a different view from yours with respect, then just don't approach it at all.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2010, 05:49:17 am »

Yeah yeah... I was taught that in school, and taught that we can see to the beginning of the universe because of it.  Personal feeling though is that light can travel billions of years and it may be losing enough energy or being refracted out of our view... maybe even by the energy that is pushing us all through space.  I covered all this in the other thread and I don't feel like going over it all again.

Uh, can you link to your posts there? I don't understand why you don't like the current theory; it works fine for physicists and most other people.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2010, 11:36:22 am »

Uh, can you link to your posts there? I don't understand why you don't like the current theory; it works fine for physicists and most other people.
Because they assume that light is infinite... it never loses energy over billions of years of travel... because we can't test otherwise.  This idea that light is forever infinite is the basis that our universe is only so big.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:37 am »

You've got a point, even photons might eventually fall apart, we just haven't got the equipment to see it, yet.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2010, 02:06:36 pm »

@Andir

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »

Not sure it's off topic... I mean, we are talking about the creation, or lack thereof creation of the universe and that falls in line with the Atheism topic.  Am I wrong?

Anyway.  By all measure people use light to determine the age of our universe... how far we can see either with the aid of tools or our bare naked eyes.  We are in another one of those scenarios where: "You look out on the horizon and see no other land.  Therefore it must not exist and obviously since we see no roundness our world must be flat."  Without knowing absolutely that light energy doesn't exponentially dissipate (or shift out of our measurable spectrum?) after it red shifts.  And I believe I understand the concept that the expanding universe would sort of "pull  apart" the light that was traveling to us... but that's part of what I'm talking about.  What if that light is being pulled so much that it ceases to be visible.  We can't know if that's certain.  We can only make guesses based on what we can observe.  I guess it all boils down to one idea that I find it extremely arrogant.  Thinking that we are (for all intents) near/in the center of our known universe and when we look in all directions and see billions of light years and then see no more, we assume that is it and there is no more.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:06 pm »

Andir, it's not a topic on atheism you need right now, but a course on astrophysics.
It's good to have a critical mind, but you need to know the theory you're discussing, else it's useless.

And no one said that the universe doesn't expand farther than where we can see.
The end of the observable universe is the name of this limit.

So, your point is obvious, and already taken into account.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »

So, your point is obvious, and already taken into account.
It's not obvious to some... because I keep hearing it brought up when people talk about "God" creating all of this and the "Big Bang" being the beginning of all and therefore proof of god(s).  This is where that "derail" came from.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »

Andir, it's not a topic on atheism you need right now, but a course on astrophysics.
It's good to have a critical mind, but you need to know the theory you're discussing, else it's useless.
No, he really has a point. The big bang is only surmised from the speed at which galaxies seem to move away from us and eachother. It's a bit shaky at best. However, if the universe is infinite in size and has been around infinitely, the sky would be intensely bright instead of black with a star here and there. Unless photons do decay.
However, time dilation makes photons timeless (the closer to the speed of light you get, the slower your time frame becomes, hence: photons that actually travel at the speed of light do not experience time), so even if they had a half-life of a second, they'd never decay anyway.

... Except that light slows down in a medium. Damn. Ok, forget the last part, but still, who knows? ;)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 194