Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187722 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

I do believe in a creator though.  Mostly because, seriously...Math?  Physics?  That is AWESOME, and I firmly believe that there is Someone out there who needs a high-five.
To me that sounds self-destructive (self-deprecating?).  To think that humans could not come up with such concepts and that they were created by something divine and handed down.  Why do you "hate" humanity so much to think that we could not do such feats without "divine inspiration"?

No, you misunderstand.  I'm not saying that God came to our mathematicians in a blinding flash of inspiration.  I'm saying that the very existence of all the crazy shit we have is totally awesome.  Euler's Identity for one.  The wonderful thing about math is that it's a universal language--it reveals truths inherent to the universe, things that are true whether we discover them or not.  And some of those truths are so whacked-out crazy awesome that, well, they're like works of art.  Literal works of art.
Math doesn't tell us anything about any "inherent truths". Mathematics is a model created to best describe intuitive methods of counting, calculating and measuring. That is all. If those intuitive methods would be different, mathematics would be different; the axioms and definitions we have would be different. It doesn't tell us about anything we haven't discovered. We just assume it does and it works most of the time, so we just roll with it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »

I do believe in a creator though.  Mostly because, seriously...Math?  Physics?  That is AWESOME, and I firmly believe that there is Someone out there who needs a high-five.
To me that sounds self-destructive (self-deprecating?).  To think that humans could not come up with such concepts and that they were created by something divine and handed down.  Why do you "hate" humanity so much to think that we could not do such feats without "divine inspiration"?

No, you misunderstand.  I'm not saying that God came to our mathematicians in a blinding flash of inspiration.  I'm saying that the very existence of all the crazy shit we have is totally awesome.  Euler's Identity for one.  The wonderful thing about math is that it's a universal language--it reveals truths inherent to the universe, things that are true whether we discover them or not.  And some of those truths are so whacked-out crazy awesome that, well, they're like works of art.  Literal works of art.
Math doesn't tell us anything about any "inherent truths". Mathematics is a model created to best describe intuitive methods of counting, calculating and measuring. That is all. If those intuitive methods would be different, mathematics would be different; the axioms and definitions we have would be different. It doesn't tell us about anything we haven't discovered. We just assume it does and it works most of the time, so we just roll with it.

Empiricism: It's pretty great.
--------------------
@Others Also, cut it out with the "didn't you get muted" etc. stuff, this topic gets heated enough without random bashing thrown in.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:33:08 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »

I didn't really consider myself bashed. Can't we just assume that whenever someone doesn't actively announce their insulted-ness, any insults previously flung were good-natured?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »

I didn't really consider myself bashed. Can't we just assume that whenever someone doesn't actively announce their insulted-ness, any insults previously flung were good-natured?
I feel insulted.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »

And there's other options than intelligence even if it can't be by chance.  How about, say, an infinite number of parallel universes, each with slightly different fundamental variables?

I think design and not-design(chance) are basically the only options we have there. With an infinite number of parallel universes everything still just boils down to chance. A billion different universes might have tried and failed before we ever got our chance at existence.

Or what's an even weirder thought, every universe might be almost certain to contain life.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2010, 03:58:17 pm »

Well, no.  Because the universe that "succeeds" will be the one with us in.

It's like... if you have a million boxes, and you teleport into one at random.  What's the chance that the box you're in is the one you teleported into?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2010, 04:07:11 pm »

Lol, anthropocentrism.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2010, 04:10:27 pm »

Right, so from hindsight it's obvious that we have to exist and that everything that has to be true for us to exist has to be true. But it's no less a matter of probability.

If you have an infinite number of universes flitting in and out of existence any possible iteration is going to happen eventually. The confluence of factors is something with a probability. If you pick a universe at random there's some chance that it will be that one. But the probability that the universe we appear in is the one that supports our life is 100%.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

That's...the most redundant conclusion ever.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »

It's not anthropocentrism at all.

It's just "The universe we're in is the universe where we can exist" (or one of the universes where we can exist).

Basically, if you have infinity tries, even the super unlikely can happen.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

OH MY-

Stop it. Your 1=1x1 is hurting my head.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2010, 04:35:16 pm »

All clock faces are wrong, guys.

Embrace the 96-hour day. It's more harmonious with nature.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »

If you have an infinite number of universes flitting in and out of existence any possible iteration is going to happen instantly, an infinite number of times.
Your conception of infinite is too small.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »

If you have an infinite number of universes flitting in and out of existence any possible iteration is going to happen instantly, an infinite number of times.
Your conception of infinite is too small.
Probably depends on whether it's numerable or innumerable.

Don't expect to get away with comments about "infinity" without a math student interfering. :P

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2010, 01:39:40 am »

That german guy with the beans, right?

peas
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 194