Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187778 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:57 pm »

It's no big feat. It happens all the time.
Not often enough.

Anyway, a topic for discussion if you (not you specifically to Khan, but to the thread in general) wish: lady at my university says she's Jewish and Christian because those are the only two religions that teach their followers to be nice to one another. I already know she's full of crap, but what do you think?
I think it's quite poor to require religion in order to be nice...also, to be nice to one another among the faith? That's easy. Try being nice to someone who believes differently. I know I've given up on that.

Aren't you the same guy that flew into the Religion Survey thread, tossed out that ridiculous "Sup americunts" post, and then flew off?
Shoes...

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »

Who, me?

No, you misunderstand.  I'm not saying that God came to our mathematicians in a blinding flash of inspiration.  I'm saying that the very existence of all the crazy shit we have is totally awesome.  Euler's Identity for one.  The wonderful thing about math is that it's a universal language--it reveals truths inherent to the universe, things that are true whether we discover them or not.  And some of those truths are so whacked-out crazy awesome that, well, they're like works of art.  Literal works of art.
So...because to our monkey brains, something seems unusually elegant, it must be because some divine agent thought of it? Rather than, you know, things just happening to be that way?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2010, 01:57:12 pm »

His statement of "the very existence of all the crazy shit we have is totally awesome" does not actually require a divine agent.  He is simply stating the fact that, to him, the existence of all that crazy shit is totally awesome.  This is not really an unreasonable view; I happen to share it, while I personally think that things did, in fact, "just happen to be that way".  He, on the other hand, sees it as slight (but not definitive) evidence of the existence of SOME sort of creator, whatever form that might take. 

I'm going to invoke "let's agree to agree" here. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »

Nobody's this lucky.  Flip a coin ten times and have it come up heads each time, and you're having a pretty good day.  Flip it a thousand times and have it come up heads each time...well, something's fishy.  The fact that we can exist means that something's real fishy in our favor.
For all we know, the 'Big Crunch' and 'Big Bang' have occurred numerous times. Perhaps a billion times. It's impossible to count how many times the universe has rolled low before hitting a natural twenty.

1. The Moon will one day crash into Earth, possibly killing everyone.
The Moon's orbit is decaying away from Earth.
Err... how? The moon's tangential velocity is slowing and the Earth's gravity remains the same.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2010, 02:18:39 pm »

Err... how? The moon's tangential velocity is slowing and the Earth's gravity remains the same.
Like this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »

For all we know, the 'Big Crunch' and 'Big Bang' have occurred numerous times. Perhaps a billion times. It's impossible to count how many times the universe has rolled low before hitting a natural twenty.
Wouldn't a billion time be... a bit low?

I mean, nothing says anything had to start, I find it much more likely that it has already done it infinite time. Unless we know that has not happened or something.

Of course that does not really defeat what he is say, I don't think math is going to change just because we go though a universe cycle.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:27:07 pm by Criptfeind »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2010, 02:23:33 pm »

[/quote]

The fact its getting farther from earth is exactly the cause of why its orbit is getting slower. If it were closer it'd be getting faster.

EDIT: Ninja'd
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »

Gentlemen, please cease this talk of actual science. We're here to have a flaming dispute about atheism.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »

Khan, didn't toady mute you?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2010, 02:29:39 pm »

That was The Transendent Tyrant.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »

Easy mistake to make.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »

Hey, I resent that!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2010, 02:36:29 pm »

I am sure TTT does as well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2010, 03:05:19 pm »

I guess my arguments are kind of like evolutionists', really:
1) The universe is incredibly complicated, driven by a huge number of variables.
2) The conditions required for life are an incredibly narrow band, too small for chance.
3) If not by chance, then by an intelligently guided hand.
4) Therefore:  A higher power must have set those initial variables.
I have a serious, serious issue with number 3.  And the end of number two.

There's no such thing as "too small for chance".  Just ask a lottery winner.

And there's other options than intelligence even if it can't be by chance.  How about, say, an infinite number of parallel universes, each with slightly different fundamental variables?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2010, 03:09:48 pm »

How about we lifeforms stop feeling so damned special. There's probably a billion other primordial soups out there, just waiting to sprout sentience, and another times as many civilisations that have already come and gone, and maybe even some that stuck around but didn't quite bother paying us, who we are the centre of the world, a visit yet.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 194