Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: (SG) Penal Governor  (Read 8711 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Penal Governor
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2024, 11:41:36 pm »

I want to take Lady Mercury's crew to explore Lush District's temple but someone would almost certainly touch or steal something they shouldn't. I think I'm leaning towards doing it anyway.
Ditto to this. We gotta explore those temples sometime, and this way we can keep an eye on things so nothing inappropriate gets touched.

And on the guards, agreed; We definitely need to get a guard rota in and tanks deployed, given the attacks.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2024, 11:55:23 pm »

We may want to consider seeking divine protection with an existing deity, or fast-tracking the recovery of the Hollywood Scrolls so that we can found our own religion and receive its aid.
Ooh. We should definitely start talking to somebody about this. Maybe a second theology council?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2024, 12:06:46 am »

A second theology council to explore our options (protection from the attacks, divining the source of the attacks, etc.) sounds like it could be useful. If Ms. Marlowe is timid during the proceedings, we should encourage her to participate.

Edit: the only issue is that having so many important people in one location may make for a tempting target, and we are in the midst of a security crisis. For safety, we may want to conduct the council with all participants accessing it remotely.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 03:51:42 pm by ZBridges »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2024, 04:18:46 pm »

Silence IX - Confederation Penal Colony
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

We may want to consider seeking divine protection with an existing deity, or fast-tracking the recovery of the Hollywood Scrolls so that we can found our own religion and receive its aid.
Ooh. We should definitely start talking to somebody about this. Maybe a second theology council?

A second theology council to explore our options sounds like it could be useful. If Ms. Marlowe is timid during the proceedings, we should encourage her to participate.

Edit: the only issue is that having so many important people in one location may make for a tempting target, and we are in the midst of a security crisis. For safety, we may want to conduct the council with all participants accessing it remotely.

You call Jasper, and request that the congresscleric set up a second theological council, but the political officer advises against it for the time being.

"I was just chatting with the bugfolk yesterday, Lord Governor. Neither they nor I have any new ideas on how to handle the situation, and you sent that ancient Chrono-Siren of yours out of the system." He explains, "but I am working on some stuff. Grilling the Discovery monk Cloisters. I've whipped up a nasty 87 page discovery cloister registration form. One of the many questions it asks is how they might hypothetically employ a Hollywood Scroll to further their work in forging new religious traditions. This will hopefully get us some valuable data without tipping our hand as to the fact that we may have some scrolls."

"So what do we do about the fact that someone is seemingly using supernatural means to send monsters after my colonists?"

Jasper's hologram drums its fingers on some surface that the recorder does not capture. "Hmmm... I recommend a mundane approach to defense for now. Tanks and Silver Anchors kept in a constant state of readiness perhaps. Focus on gathering information. If the source is supernatural, there are only a few plausible sources: traitors in the colony, traitors among the discovery monks who proceeded us, or hostile entities bound to this world through one or more temples. I'll investigate the Cloisters personally, and I think your chrono-sirens are best equipped for rooting out traitors among our ranks when they return, so if you want to personally work towards a solution I'd start sniffing around the temples. If a temple is to blame, we can probally eliminate a good chunk of them by examining the exteriors for evidence of a religious theme along the lines of beasts or war or murder or the like."

"I was going to join Lady Mercury for some temple exploration as our next date. I suppose that is a start. I'll consider action that is larger in scale as well."

"Nice." Jasper grins, "You should ask that priestess of hers, Marlowe was it, her thoughts on the matter. I have no idea why that girl is so shy, but it doesn't seem like a council meeting is the best place to pick her brain anyway."

---

Since Lina is down, we'll probably need to start training and positioning guards (and tanks) in every inhabited district. Ideally we'd station some Silver Anchors, but depending on how long it takes to deploy from the ship versus move around on the ground, that might actually slow our response time. Plus... if whoever (or whatever) is doing this can respond to jogging routines and scheduled maintenance, keeping our elites in reserve and able to deploy anywhere might be the best way to hamper our foe's ability to act.

You issue some orders to increase planetary security against further monster attacks. First and foremost, you order the tank modules distributed evenly among the three temple districts. You decree that said modules be equipped and ready to roll at all times; This will hurt construction time, but should ensure those settlements can properly respond to attacks. Next you have the Silver Anchors relocate from Orbit to the Terraforming district. You assign the transhumans more shuttles than they might otherwise need, both to serve as redundant communication centers and allow for flexible redeployment to other parts of the planet in a pinch.

You also spare a moment to consider dividing Lina's 800ish remaining active enforcers among all the settlements, but for now you leave them where they are in the Guilded Temple District. Their weapons are not super-ideal for fighting the Elephant-Moles, and they currently lack leadership. If you deploy them against such a foe, especially after further reducing their numbers, they probably would not accomplish much aside from buying time. That is problematic, as realistically your guards are probably more valuable than most civilians you might ask them to protect.

---

I want to take Lady Mercury's crew to explore Lush District's temple but someone would almost certainly touch or steal something they shouldn't. I think I'm leaning towards doing it anyway.

Your shuttle meets Lady Mercury's group right outside the lush temple. The structure is marble mostly rectangular in shape with a large silver dome that seems to be trimmed with some sort of well maintained fabric. If there was ever a door here, it is now missing, and anyone is free to walk right inside.

Stepping off your craft, you immediately regret wearing your fully armored gearset to this adventure. The air here is warm, sticky, and humid. Lady Mercury wears only light pants, a fairly immodest neon top that matches her multicolred hair, and a utility belt chock full of weapons and tools; You suspect brother Karl made her put the top on for the date, as most of her comrades are straight up half naked.

Like the start of your last date, Lady Mercury seems to be in a foul mood. "Welcome to a thrilling afternoon of sitting down and watching my friends have adventures on the moniter. I had some of the crew poke their head in, and apparently we are going to be stuck in the main foyer. None of the interal doorways are large enough to fit a Golden Elk, and terran god forbid we go somewhere as a couple without the properly designated Chaperone."

"M'lady, please show some decorum and respect for the courtship protocol," Brother Karl pleads. "It wont be that bad. We can bring in the spare server cart, so you guys can watch videos or play games if you get bored of playing mission control. Your date also brought his weapons, so it is possible you might spar as well."

Autumn answers with only a growl, before taking you by the hand and leading you inside. The walls of the temple's main foyer are decorated with tapistries that depict humanoid non-humans with elongated skulls playing, feasting, indulging in inhaled chemicals, and partaking in intimacy. In the center of the room is a large fountain filled with a dark reddish-purple liquid. Scans suggest that it is some kind of wine-like beverage made from fermented alien fruit, and that there is a 93.48% chance that it is fit for human consumption.

Lady Mercury's several dozen group members follow you into the temple, lead by the only non-transhuman in full armor other than yourself. The armored figure leads two colonist hirelings, each of whom pulls a levitating server cart. The armor figure gestures to a corner, where one cart is brought and powered on. The second cart is dragged to the location of you and your date.

Said date shakes herself out of her funk long enough to issue orders. First to the armored figure. "Sabre, you remain here with us and the Elk. You will take command if Conrad and I get bored. Mary," She gestures to Ms. Marlowe next, "you remain as well. You can serve as entertainment if needed, and examine all the feeds for things of religious significance. The rest of you, group up and explore as you see fit. Juan, your group is in charge of breaching any basements or locked doors. Understood?"

The gathered crew of the idle rich lets out a roar of affirmation, and begins to split up and move out.

Lady Mercury once again takes your wrist, holds it to her face, and scans her own eye. Your helmet hud connects to the two server carts, and suddenly 122 new POVs from various body, weapon, and drone cameras become avaible for your helmet to browse. The cart in front of you projects several of these viewpoints, including one that must be from somewhere on Autumn's face, as your frame is the main object in focus.

"So... we going to actually do our jobs. Or do you have any romantic ways to kill time in mind?"

How do you proceed?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2024, 09:11:40 pm »

Too hot and moist to make sparring a great idea. Let's do our jobs, but intersperse that with asking Ms Marlowe about who or what might be behind the mole attacks, Lady Mercury about those friendly beetles she found, and Brother Karl about the benefits of being part of a noble house.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2024, 02:13:40 am »

Too hot and moist to make sparring a great idea. Let's do our jobs, but intersperse that with asking Ms Marlowe about who or what might be behind the mole attacks, Lady Mercury about those friendly beetles she found, and Brother Karl about the benefits of being part of a noble house.
+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2024, 10:48:04 pm »

"I think we should actually do our jobs." You answer. Autumn shoots you a scowl, but obediently steps up to the server cart and gets to work.

Phase one of the operation is clearing the many rooms directly accessible from the temple foyer. You watch on many feeds as Lady Mercury's people enter several small shrines, bedrooms, and dining halls. Some of the rooms contain artifacts and knickknacks made of silver, and although you don't witness any acts of defilement or plunder, you can't help but worry that it might happen on a POV that is not actively being watched.

You notice Ms. Marlowe lean in close to your date, and whisper something into her ear for about 30 seconds. Then Autumn speaks. "Mary says it was obivious that this temple belonged to a diety of life, based on the fact it is able to sustain this biosphere on a largely terraformed planet. But what we have seen of this temple makes it clear that this diety or spirit is more specifically attuned to life's pleasures."

You nod. "Makes sense. While I have one of Ms. Marlowe's mouthpieces handy though, I was wondering what she thinks of these recent monster attacks."

The priestess once agains whispers to her patron for some time. "She says she felt a malignant presence around the venue just before the attack on our last date. She paid it little heed at the time; Her faith teaches the foul spirits are attracted to the stage, but rendered harmless by true talent. No mere stage spirit, however, would dare do something like that in Mary's presence, or survive to escape unharmed and undetected if it did so. Her theory is that whatever is behind the attacks is either a higher incorporeal being, such as a diety, or a being capable of extremely high level astral projection."

Both Lady Mercury and her friend then blush. "At the time, were she not so timid, Mary would have accused your councilor Amoy. Truly Ancient Chrono-Sirens are some of the few non-divine beings capable of projecting their consciousness in a way that is both completely undetectable and capable of further magic. But the second attack occurred after Amoy left, and Mary does not believe that she is capable of projecting with such perscision from outside of the system."

"Heh. Your pet priestess is wise, m'lady." States Sister Shelly, still in the phyiscal and verbal guise of your humble chronicler. "Amoy is indeed capable of such a projection. If she is closely orbiting a blue star, as she is supposed to be doing right now, she may even be powerful enough to project across systems. I'd even wager she had motive; The girls kicked around the idea staging some sort of disaster to give you hotheaded lovebirds something to fight together. But sadly, Amoy lacks the sort of magic required to create life from nothing, and wouldn't have yet reached her destination star by the time of the second attack."

Ms. Marlowe listens, and leans in to whisper to Autumn once more. After hearing the priestess out, Lady Mercury answers. "Then the most likely culprit is the patron of one of this world's many temples. Mary suggests whatever it is, it is likely drawn to and angered by people moving and reacting as a large group, as the targets were a concert and a large group of soldiers in the middle of a drill. She suggests you ban large assemblies on the planet's surface for the time being."

"Thank you, I'll take that into consideration." You attempt to look Ms. Marlowe in the eye, but she averts her gaze.

You let awkward silence stew for a moment, as you watch a feed in which two of Lady Mercury's underlings argue if a silver decoration is supposed to be a vase or a marital aid. Eventuelly the argument ends inconclusively, and you turn your attention back to the company in the room. "So, m'lady. I read the report about the cave system. What do you think about the beetles?"

Autumn's face lights up at that querry. "Their crystal secretions taste real good. Scans suggested it could be brewed into a sort of mead, so we are doing just that. The batch will be ready in about a month and a half, and we are going to celebrate with a big tasting party. Personally, I recommend that you marry me or end the courtship before then. I'd love to invite you, but not so much that I'm willing to let that party become a chaperoned chaste date."

"M'lady!" Brother Karl protests, "that is forward and imprudent of you. Please refrain from making such comments!"

The three other Golden Elk in the room laugh uproarously, amused at their comrade's impossible task of controlling their master.

You decide to bail the Chapperone out by asking about the rights of nobility. You know this topic well, as you have spent a good deal of your career dealing with them as clients and even impersonating their kind. The Confederation doesn't really care much for the ruling class of the old empire, and are perhaps the least friendly successor state towards the nobles. But still, they have to pay some lip service to the old privileges to maintain friendly relations with other, noble dominated, human civilizations. In the Confederation, Nobles are the sole beings allowed to serve as planetary governors or command the sort of truly massive capital ship or space station that hosts a 'planet like' economy. They are also generally immune to most forms of taxation, and are subject to looser regulations as to how they handle the starships and transhumans under their control.

The noble houses are kept from holding true power by the "New Rich" merchant class. Cartels and mega-corporations run by wealthy non-noble families pick infertile, strictly homosexual, or otherwise ostracized nobles to "rule" planets in their name as puppets who will die without a heir, allowing their masters to install a similar loyalist after they pass or retire.

But the houses do maintain some power. A number of prominent houses control enough lower value agricultural and resort worlds to field small starfleets and wield some power in the halls of the Confederation's weak central government. Like minded noble families form unions to protect and advocate for their interests. Although they generally claim some lofty purpose or another, the primary function of a noble union is to quickly form a quorum of nobles that can vote the deconsecrate the bloodline of any merchant family audacious enough to marry into noble blood so that they may attempt to rule planets directly. 

Brother Karl gleefully explains all this, despite the fact that you already know it. Eventually however he gets to giving you some new information, relating to the local Noble Unions.

"There are two in this vast stretch of the frontier." Brother Karl explains, "each about as powerful on paper as any noble union in Confederation Space, but spread out over much wider areas. The Staging Guild is far more likely to be friendly to your cause, governor. They are closely tied to the central government, and support the actions of many of its departments - including the Judgement Department's Penal Colony program. M'lady's brother Lord Auditor July is loosely affiliated with this union, as their public facing leader is Lord Governor Vitalus of the Cauldron of Prayers in the Frontier Gate system. Many transhumans, myself included, are born on that world, and our creation benefits the union as we either serve it directly or by yielding taxation on our sale and creation. So it benefits the union to keep a few Department of Human Integrity Auditors on the payroll."

Brother Karl pauses for a second before explaining the other local union. "They call themselves the Congress of the Frontier. They have some ties to cartels and mega corporations who want to conduct the sort of experiments that civilized people do not want on their world or in their system, but in general they value their independence and keep their distance from the Confederation and its various official functionaries. Normally, I'd advise you to be wary of this group; They have a reputation for hiring pirates and aliens to take out penal colonies to prevent the Judgement Department from gaining a foothold in their turf, but they also do alot of busniess with smugglers and other such nerdowells, so it is possible you might get along. The congress is led by Governor de'Rooster of a planet called Verdant Globe that is probally just outside the Solo's single jump range from here. de'Rooster is said to be an agricultural genius, and allegedly exports 5 to 8 times the amount of food expected from a crop world the size of the Verdant Globe. Perhaps a good ally to have if you plan on housing more people than you can feed."

A brief silence falls, before Autumn speaks reluctantly in a low growl. "What Brother Karl fails to mention, probably because he knows I hate the fucker, is that my father Jove commands a star destroyer for The Congress of the Frontier. You are my friend and likely husband. Even if that wasn't the case, my well being is now tied to the fate of this world. I'm not sure how much pull he has within the union, but I'd be willing to reach out to him on your behalf if you'd like."

"That is very mature of you, m'lady."

Lady Mercury wordlessly flips Brother Karl a rude gesture, and turns her attention back to the hologram POVs floating above the server cart. Juan's group is now preparing to open a sealed set of double doors at the bottom of a flight of stairs, that likely leads to the basement. They wait until a few more groups arrive to back them up, before going in.

The basement is an impressive chamber, similar in size and layout to the temple foyer where you stand. Where the foyer has a wine fountain, however, the basement has a strange pool of sparking, glowing, rainbow colored goop. Someone in Juan's group is quick to scan the pool, and the results are quite fascinating. The pool is entirely liquid biomass, largely made up of perfectly preserved cells and DNA. The scan recognizes human donors, terran animals, and several dozen alien species, but the vast majority of the biomass in the pool, about 88% of it, is of unknown origin. Also fascinating is the origin of the pool's sparks and glow: a neural network. Thinking cells of many species are linked together; the density of this network seems to increase as one travels deeper into the pool, but the scan only pierces about a meter of the goop. One more thing resides in the pool: vines. They extend from the center of the goop, completely covering the floors and walls of the basement chamber.

On the POVs, Juan's group spreads out and begins to explore without incident, but up in the foyer things begin to get exciting.

"Lady Mercury, we must leave now." Brother Karl declares, "something is trying to lure us into that basement with inhaled pheromones."

Autumn frowns. "But I don't smell anything... or have any urge to go anywhere."

You quickly tap your wrist interface to run an allergen scan of the air in the foyer. Sure enough, there is enough unknown psychoactive pollen in the air to absolutely melt a human mind. The fact that it is not affecting Lady Mercury, you, or anyone else in the room is strange.

"I see it. But if it was going to get us, we'd be got by now." You muse, "I don't even think my helmet would protect me from that much crap in the air. Perhaps, Brother Karl, it only affects Transhuma- FUCK!"

It is at that moment you spot Sister Shelly staggering toward the basement stairs, her naked true form no longer concealed by an illusion. Her eyes are glazed, and drool falls from her beak.

How do you proceed?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 11:26:36 pm by Weirdsound »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2024, 11:40:13 pm »

Fuuuuuuuuuuck. It's probably fishing for interesting specimens. If she gets down there she'll probably dissolve.

I'm struggling to think of a good way to stop her. Moderate to poor options include tackling and asking the Golden Elks to grab her, but if she turns violent we'll have some serious issues. Once we've got her, I assume we need to leave, or at least get her out, but we can't just abandon the rest of the squad down there.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2024, 12:00:35 am »

I'm not sure either. Fitting her with our helmet sounds like it would be unlikely to work. We may just have to hope for the best, have one of the Golden Elks restrain her, and then leave with her while Autumn extracts her squad in the basement, which shouldn't be problematic since the pheremones only affect Transhumans.

Alternatively, once the Siren is free and clear, we can return to the temple and assist until everyone is evacuated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 02:48:31 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2024, 02:50:42 am »

Sounds like it's time to tackle her and drag her out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2024, 09:15:38 am »

To buy time, we could get Lady Mercury's explorers to trace the source of the pheromones, and attempt to block or disable it, whilst also locking doors that lead to the pool.

Alos worth checking if any of the Golden Elk are affected, as they are transhuman too, right?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 04:21:29 am by Kashyyk »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2024, 06:41:06 pm »

I'm not sure either. Fitting her with our helmet sounds like it would be unlikely to work. We may just have to hope for the best, have one of the Golden Elks restrain her, and then leave with her while Autumn extracts her squad in the basement, which shouldn't be problematic since the pheremones only affect Transhumans.

Alternatively, once the Siren is free and clear, we can return to the temple and assist until everyone is evacuated.

"Restrain her!" You yell, pointing at the stumbling, naked Chrono-Siren.

One of the Golden Elk quickly follows the order. Or so you assume. Your eyes can't even follow the Transhuman's movement, but in a blink you hear the crunching of ribs and see the Elk pinning Sister Shelly against the wall. Conventional wisdom states that contemporary artisan small-batch Transhumans are vastly superior to millennia old mass produced designs in terms of physicality, but you have never seen this common knowledge demonstrated so clearly.

"Sound the retreat." Brother Karl instructs his charge, "Governor Conrad's chronicler has been incapacitated; The date cannot continue. Frankly, I'm not sure if its safe for me to stick around much longer."

The party in the temple foyer quickly departs back to the shuttles. The other explorers soon follow in a hurried but orderly fashion.

"Whelp. At least that got exciting at the end. I hope your transhuman will be okay." Lady Mercury offers. "Do you think that pool would have eaten her had we not intervened? I'm pretty curious. Perhaps for our next date we should go to that other district with the metallic animals, and trap some to fe-"

"M'lady, you must get on your shuttle at once." Brother Karl chides, "it is a breech of protocol to interact with the governor without a chronicler on hand. Not to mention wildly inappropriate for the party being courted to propose an idea for a date. GO!"

---

Sister Shelly's healing factor addresses her broken ribs in a matter of hours, but it takes several days for her mind to unfog. She is apologetic; a rare state for a Chrono-Siren indeed. "I'm sorry boss, but I remember nothing of ta date. Last ting I recall was shagging ta shuttle pilot while we waited on ya to put on your armor. Gonna have to fill your chronicler in on the deets if ya want me to do my job."

What do you tell Sister Shelly, and how do you proceed? It is likely to be another lengthy time skip unless you guys give alot of short term actions.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2024, 02:28:27 am »

No sense in hiding anything, tell her everything that happened.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2024, 03:56:18 am »

There's presumably helmet cam footage as well, which she's welcome to if that'll help.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2024, 04:04:08 am »

No sense in hiding anything, tell her everything that happened.
+1

And good point about the helmet footage, assuming it was being recorded.

I think we should attempt the proposed mass gathering ban to see if that works, and try to propose to Lady Mercury before her mead tasting event. Whether that means cramming 2-3 more dates in (did this one count?) or trying to pull off a single date that doesn't end in calamity.

Speaking of which, how about trying to capture and train several different metallic animals to see which ones make good pets, attack hounds, or mounts? The Chrono-Sirens would probably have fun too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9