Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding rivers  (Read 1676 times)

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding rivers
« on: March 10, 2024, 03:41:35 am »

There does not seem to be a way to filter out streams and brooks in the site finder in 50.12 version. I'm trying to embark on a major river with iron and flux, and the results are quite numerous since the game includes all streams and maybe brooks too.

Also, is there a way to help world gen generate more major rivers?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Finding rivers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 11:23:58 am »

If DF imitates life: more rainfall, less drainage, maybe less elevation X/Y variance. Basically, more water and a larger watershed ought to lead to more major rivers. You'll probably also need more land tiles for that, so either larger map size or go for continent maps.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 08:39:18 pm »

I believe there are also some tricks with erosion to make more rivers, more erosion makes the banks wear down more and makes the rivers expand if I remember correctly

marcbyrne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 03:51:57 pm »

BlindIRL has a series of tutorials on YouTube about world generation.  One of them specifically covers getting more and larger rivers.  He even does a few example worlds to see the results. 

I have found that the embark map won't always be accurate with its label of stream.  But maybe i'm underestimating the range of size the game considers a stream.

Anyway, point is, the tutorial was very helpful to me in getting my desired results from world gen.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 01:58:52 am »

BlindIRL has a series of tutorials on YouTube about world generation.  One of them specifically covers getting more and larger rivers.  He even does a few example worlds to see the results.

Yeah that's exactly where I got the erosion trick from haha

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 06:53:00 pm »

Thanks guys! I ended up creating a fort on the coast where I'm building a bridge across the bay but next, I'll create a new world with lot of rivers.