Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water is re-salted when changing zeds?  (Read 1569 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Water is re-salted when changing zeds?
« on: January 21, 2024, 06:43:32 pm »

This one has me perplexed.  The water is pumped and comes out clean, but changes back into salt water the moment it falls through the floor.  I removed the Wells (buckets may have been contaminated) and paved over the mud floors, to no avail.  I did remove all aquifers, possible the water is still registering an aquifer layer?  I never had this issue in Classic, or even heard of it, so I'm fully out of ideas right now.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water is re-salted when changing zeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 08:40:58 pm »

Water that touches a tile that is designated as being salty or stagnant will instantly become salty or stagnant.  It's less of a problem with stagnant water because you just have to avoid pumping the water back into the pool that you got it from.  But for salt water, you need to make sure the tile isn't designated as salty.  The main way to do that is to build a reservoir lined with blocks.  However, I *think* if you dig deeply enough, you should get past the salt.  Possibly you just need to get past the soil layer, but I'm not 100% sure (I almost never embark on salt water areas).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:47:50 pm »

Waves probably polluted it by going over or under their z-level. If the output tile from the pump is completely sealed off from the source tile, your pump can be right on the edge of the ocean and your operator can stand in the waves, and the water going into the enclosed area will stay fresh.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 11:02:15 pm »

For anyone else who stumbles across this - Apparently the salt content of a tile functions similar to sunlight; once it is touched by the contaminant, it remains of that status forever.  The only options are either rebuild elsewhere, or use DFHack to clean the tiles.