Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem making my military dwarfs train together  (Read 1844 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem making my military dwarfs train together
« on: January 18, 2024, 02:53:46 pm »

I created a squad, created a barracks, assigned the squad to the barracks, and ordered the squad to train. They go to the barracks and engage in individual combat training. I cannot make them train together. Furthermore individual combat training give almost 0 benefit to the soldiers. What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem making my military dwarfs train together
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:45:55 pm »

Military dwarfs will refuse to do anything except individual combat drills until they have a few ranks in Discipline, this is just them getting into shape. It does give benefits, just not as good as demonstrations and sparring.

When you say "and ordered the squad to train", how did you do that? I always use Schedules and don't know if the Train button gets them to do group training.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 12:49:40 am »

Furthermore individual combat training give almost 0 benefit to the soldiers.
That's not true, individual combat drills are very powerful.

Also, dwarfs begin to spar when their Fighting skill is at least Competent.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Überzwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 12:41:55 pm »

I'm under the impression that there is a difference how you set the training order. When I order them to train as special order (from the boxes on the main squad screen) they do only individual combat drills. When I set it via routine (under schedule) they will start with sparring.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Squad_menu_v50_04.png
"No special orders" and "Routine: Constant trainining" or "Routine: Staggered training" is what is working for me.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 05:15:22 am »

I'm under the impression that there is a difference how you set the training order. When I order them to train as special order (from the boxes on the main squad screen) they do only individual combat drills. When I set it via routine (under schedule) they will start with sparring.

I haven't double checked this right now, but can't train orders only be set by routines? (Other stuff like stationing can be ordered directly.) The default "Ready" routine is configured to do the order "Train" always. The "Off duty" routine has no orders ever (skilled dwarves may voluntarily train during this time.) The remaining routines are some combination of the two.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 05:18:18 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Überzwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 02:02:19 pm »

I haven't double checked this right now, but can't train orders only be set by routines? ...
It's the axe icon in the same row as the station order: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Squad#Train_order