Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to embark without saltwater  (Read 888 times)

Arphahat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to embark without saltwater
« on: November 21, 2023, 01:59:24 am »

I'm trying to play the Steam version of the game. It has been awhile since I last played and am just trying to get a nice easy start. Searching embark locations, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter out saltwater, and hovering over the zones doesn't show saltwater or not (except sometimes in the biome name, like Saltwater Marsh). Is there a way to see if an area has saltwater or not and is there a way to filter out the saltwater when searching embark locations?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to embark without saltwater
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 09:29:31 pm »

Not that I know of, but an aquifer should provide fresh water, or it should be possible to use a pump to filter the water (I haven't tried this recently, not sure if it still works).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 03:26:48 pm »

IIRC saltwater marshes do not actually contain saltwater, and their aquifers are delicious and normal. I don't think I've ever been unable to drink the water in the steam version.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:50:03 am »

Not that I know of, but an aquifer should provide fresh water, or it should be possible to use a pump to filter the water (I haven't tried this recently, not sure if it still works).

It still works. I had no idea the aquifers werent salty though.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

sniper_231996

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to make people happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 09:44:39 am »

1. If you pump sea water from a pump then at the output of the pump you get fresh water.
2. Digging into aquifer gives you fresh water.
3. Digging into carvers gives you a place to obtain fresh water.

Rest all is up to you.. this filtering and all doesn't matter much. One small pump oughta do it.  :) ;)
- Dungeon Lord Sniper

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 10:50:47 pm »

I'm guessing the bug with wells got fixed?

I'm still on 0.47.05, but isn't saltwater only a problem in coastal embarks? Embark inland, it's all fresh non-saline.