Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do Overlapping fractures go untreated in the latest version ?  (Read 591 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
do Overlapping fractures go untreated in the latest version ?
« on: October 01, 2023, 07:51:02 am »

now I'm playing 0.47, since that's where all my mods are, anyway, dealing with bone fractures and I came across a problem patient.

They had an overlapping fracture of the ankle, and some other fractures, after an encounter with a necromancer antman queen (note: any creature that is strong enough and has enough arms to carry 3 shields is extremely good at blocking).

So, when they were recovered to the hospital, the doctors came in, diagnosed them, scheduled treatment and.... treatment did not progress. Every time, a bone doctor would appear with the "set bone" task, but they wouldn't set the bone on any of the wounds, and they left the task uncompleted, then another diagnosis check happened, and it was an endless loop, with the fractures going unset, and undressed as well.

Checked with other patients with broken bones, and they were treated alright.

Used dfHack to teleport the patient up into the air to reinjure them, and while this caused some more fractures in different parts of the body, the same endless loop kept happening.

After about a year of this non-treatment, I used dfHack's gui/gm-editor to remove the "overlapping" flag on the broken ankle wound, and this change resulted in the bone doctors setting all the broken bones, dressing them, putting plaster casts on, and finally releasing the patient from hospital.

So there seems to be some problem with overlapping fractures (at least when there are other fractures, not seen yet if the problem occurs in isolation).

Does this issue persist in the latest version ?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do Overlapping fractures go untreated in the latest version ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 07:59:10 am »

I've had consistent issues with overlapping clothes, sutures, and splints in 5.10, its all the elements of the raid corruption bug but its happening on site because of the hospital, and the army equipment code.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 12:32:36 pm »

I’ve never had this problem. Do you have traction benches in your hospital? They are often needed to treat overlapping fractures.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 12:42:16 pm »

I’ve never had this problem. Do you have traction benches in your hospital? They are often needed to treat overlapping fractures.

Yes. And plaster. And splints. And all the other stuff that is needed. Which is why it was such a problem, that I could only resolve by resorting to dfHack's gm-editor.

as soon as i used that to make the broken ankle not an overlapping fracture, the bone doctors treated all the injuries just fine.

So either bone doctors get stuck when there's other fractures than the overlapping one. Or it's a bone doctor skill thing, and requires a higher skill than my doctors were at the time.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 12:45:21 pm »

Do you have an appointed surgeon with the surgery labor enabled? They are required to fix overlapping fractures along with bone doctors.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 04:14:33 pm »

I had appropriate medical staff, yes.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 06:02:02 pm »

Then I have no idea why your bone doctors refused to treat your dwarves.