Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about a certain challenge...  (Read 593 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about a certain challenge...
« on: September 30, 2023, 07:21:47 pm »

I heard about the Adam and Eve challenge.  In other words you set up the party, pick the location, and then kick out five of the Dwarves and try to live with only two Dwarves.  Even refusing any imgrants.  Of course you have to go into the code before maing the world to make sure the populace is set at zero.  But children are set at...what 10?  So if the two marry they can have kids.

Any suggestions from experince or watching other players try this?

I figure I also need a REASON.  Why do they wish to live alone?  Build their own inn?   Are they anti-social?   Little Cabin in the woods? Escape the rat race?   Do we trade with people?  Live above ground?   Do I need some mods to help me along?  Any advice?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about a certain challenge...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 01:39:35 am »

With the self-imposed limitations you already have, you could make them "elf-friends" who want to live in harmony with nature, or just live in a tree.

But, plan ahead for the possibility of a vulture/kea/raven/monkey invasion and give your dwarfs access to some god-like powers, tell yourself they are "talking with the terrors and asking them to leave in peace", while you hit the exterminate command to exterminate the animals. Because, the first time a pack of those creatures invade, you'll find both dwarfs unable to do anything for seasons with all the job interruptions and even a pack of 100 war dogs will not stop the interruptions unless the dogs are able to kill them quick.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 03:21:09 am »

Reason? They can be misanthropic or just very introvert.

However, I don't remember any of my first seven having ever married and getting kids. They can be lovers, but I don't think that's enough to have kids (maybe it will change in future). So that would be the bigger challenge, to get them married. Maybe it's easier if there are only two of them?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 04:30:38 am »

Not sure if it's part of the challenge, but if you want the kids of the first couple to get married and have kids, you'll need other dwarves who are not their siblings for that (cousins and distant relatives are ok).

So, if you'd do like to do that, I'd get 3 married couples, which would pretty much be starting with the 7 dwarves (assuming a 50/50 male/female split and their orientation being fine for such things).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 12:28:54 am »

cool idea, but like Brewer pointed out, you need two or three married couples from the start, which might be difficult to RNG. DFhack could be used to set yourself up with the requisite couplings

did you hear about the famous pair of thieves? They work in tandem, set up elaborate heists, steal priceless artifacts, then retreat to the mountains to appraise their loot.

If you can believe it, this duo was last seen burglarizing a local monastery of a number of rare books. It was reported that one of the thieves seduced the monk watching the gate, while her partner snuck past and quietly filled a number of backpacks with the manuscripts. The monk, who was distracted at the gate, claims to have seen the pair embracing after the heist.