Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do burnt trees count against the elven woodcutting limit?  (Read 1552 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
do burnt trees count against the elven woodcutting limit?
« on: September 27, 2023, 10:08:22 pm »

so like if a arsonist dragon shows up all intoxicated and starts a few fires, does that count against the elven contractual limits? science may be needed here. time to piss off the elves for the umpteenth time

due to an impoverished upbringing I cannot decipher the elven legalese, and the Dwarfen Encyclopedia has no reference to this particular topic

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do burnt trees count against the elven woodcutting limit?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 04:20:16 am »

They dont.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 03:27:52 am »

Another way to legally (and more safely) destroy trees is by ballista. Useful when preparing or maintaining roads for wagons, or remodelling the caverns.

Once you have agreement with elven civs, you can always check on the world map how many are allowed after a particular tree-killing activity.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 12:18:05 pm »

Another way to legally (and more safely) destroy trees is by ballista. Useful when preparing or maintaining roads for wagons, or remodelling the caverns.

I'm pretty sure this counts the same as cutting, last I checked. (IIRC, it increments the tree cut count in the plot info struct, though I didn't look at the individual diplomatic agreement counters.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 12:25:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 03:42:12 am »

I'm pretty sure this counts the same as cutting, last I checked. (IIRC, it increments the tree cut count in the plot info struct, though I didn't look at the individual diplomatic agreement counters.)

I last used this in current version (v.50.10) and it doesn't decrease the "lumber limits"  numbers shown in the civ agreements, so I say that it works. But maybe it has some other, hidden repercussion. That would be fun, actually.

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 01:25:32 pm »

Most recent update made ballista count as chopping a tree for elven diplomacy

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 03:01:18 pm »

Most recent update made ballista count as chopping a tree for elven diplomacy

Damn. Do they read the forums or what? Nasty   >:(

According to the changelog, since v.50.11 (which just updated for me), it counts now. However, I've checked with my current fort, and it definitely doesn't work (i.e. the destroyed trees don't decrease the counters, still). Maybe because the world (and save) is created in older version? I don't know, will check up periodically to see if this new "feature" starts working or not.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 10:34:58 pm »

alright, good to know.

Ballista arrows etc. that chop down trees now count for treecap diplomacy

Saiko's post, amazingly, was invalidated in only two days, after the most recent update. heh

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 12:40:46 am »

Saiko's post, amazingly, was invalidated in only two days, after the most recent update. heh

Elf spies have infiltrated the forums...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 11:18:17 pm »

If you'll believe it, I actually just sorta found it after looking at clang's compiler warnings, total coincidence. It was a bug preventing it from working.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 02:30:36 am »

If you'll believe it, I actually just sorta found it after looking at clang's compiler warnings, total coincidence. It was a bug preventing it from working.
Wait, Putnam is an elf?
Toady has grown a beard and got elven helpers?
It is Xmas already?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime