Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to prevent monarch coming?  (Read 1561 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
How to prevent monarch coming?
« on: August 13, 2023, 03:40:57 am »

In Premium version, I wonder how to prevent coming of the king?

In older version it was easy enough by not offering to caravan, since offering was one of requirements to become a capital. But it was removed as a requirement, and now the king can arrive before I'm ready for it, or want it.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to prevent monarch coming?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 06:53:56 pm »

The best (maybe only?) route to keep the monarch from coming the normal way is to cap your population below 150. As long as you don't hit 150, they won't move in. You can still have your baron/count/duke just fine as long as you stay under that cap.

However, nothing can fully stop one of your dwarves from potentially inheriting the monarch role if the original monarch dies. To avoid this the best you can do is pick larger dwarf civilizations to join when you first embark. The bigger the civilization, the less likely that the monarch will die, and the less likely it is that even if the monarch *does* die, that one of the dwarves in *your* fort will inherit the title.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 01:23:43 am »

That's a pity, because I like to have about 200 dwarves before becoming capital. When the king comes, I revert a save and increase the population cap temporarily and have even bigger population (recently I got 47 people in that wave). Limiting it to 150 would hamper my usual style :) Still, I think next time I will just try this, and I already like bigger civs. Thanks.

One other thing which works differently is I don't need holdings for barony, and then progression to county and duchy, though this is not that important to me. The most important is that once king comes, the liaison comes too, and I cannot order from caravans.

Kikkero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 10:58:23 am »

I didn't know about the caravan thing being a requirement from classic, but I am on board with having a little more control over when the monarch comes.  Right now, it always feels like the king comes way too quickly.  I go from baron to count to duke then having a king so quickly that it feels like I spend half my time for 3 or 4 years just scraping together royal quarters because of how quick these things come.  I wish that either the requirements to hit the next level of nobility in your fortress was higher or that you had some more prompts to stem that flow, yourself.  As it is, I really find no benefit, whatsoever, of having a king in your fortress.  All it really does is give you another mouth to... have whine about not making enough toy hammers or whatever, and it also makes trade with your own civilization shrivel up to basically nothing. 

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 03:30:54 am »

The king is probably supposed to be the end-game experience (or enabler), with demand to get these seven symbols and dig deeper. But he really comes too early.

In previous versions, I believe since the first know versions (2D), king could come only after enough offerings to home caravan, and enough jobs of different kinds done. There was also a wealth level needed. The offerings and wealth needed were a know factor, displayed, and jobs were hidden. I thought the jobs requirement was still on, if you do a bit of everything, or nearly, and have a big enough base, it would come naturally to fulfil them. But apparently this is no longer needed too, only a happiness, and a duke.

Theoretically the duke part can be avoided, at a cost of not being able to make trade agreement - you can reject offer of creating barony, and postpone it. But the trade agreements are too useful, and actually the main reason I don't want the king too early.

The ability to offer things to dwarven caravan while not a capital yet, and inability to do so when a capital, is a remnant of old system, but seems to have no purpose.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 12:48:53 am »

Step 1:  Dig out 1x2 room.

Step 2:  Install door.

Step 3:  Install lever in tile furthest from door..

Step 4:  Install upright spikes in tile next to door.

Step 5:  Link the upright spikes to the lever.

Step 6:  Assign the lever to your king and order it to be pulled on repeat.

Step 7:  Profit!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Boromonokli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 03:44:46 am »

Do you play on resource-poor embarks with heavy aquifers? I found carving out the royal quarters very easy when mining, and only a quick work of smoothing / flooring with gold or (even better) steel was needed to get them all set up. Best of all, once all is said and done, you can assign the royal quarters, throne room, and dining room to 3 separate guild halls / temples / inns.

It's for sure an exploit, but maybe your king likes to go to sleep to the sound of engraving demonstrations. Kind of like a lullaby.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 08:18:36 am »

If you don't want the king so bad just execute him with a drawbridge problem solved lol 🫠

"After a polite discussion, the dwarves elect Urist McBansBinExports as their new queen."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 02:57:47 pm »

If you don't want the king so bad just execute him with a drawbridge problem solved lol 🫠

That won't reenable outpost liaison visits.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 05:15:24 am »

this thread title could potentially be interpreted as a most disgusting double entendre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMGhw-FJsuI

if you put up enough nets, you can definitely stop any butterfly

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 03:09:03 pm »

😭🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠😂😂😂😂😭🤣🤣🤣👍

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 03:06:15 am »

this thread title could potentially be interpreted as a most disgusting double entendre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMGhw-FJsuI

if you put up enough nets, you can definitely stop any butterfly

You know, that would be a problem of my monarch and his wife :) In a similarity to the show, my monarch's wife is damn more competent than he is, she was my first legendary glassmaker for instance (and I had many high masters glassmakers by that point) and created much of current fortress wealth and infrastructure.