Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do trained animals gain skill by performing their task?  (Read 1049 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
do trained animals gain skill by performing their task?
« on: August 03, 2023, 01:27:47 pm »

Do hunting dogs improve in hunting by hunting? and can animals improve their fighting skill?
I suppose not, because they aren't CAN_LEARN

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do trained animals gain skill by performing their task?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 12:44:45 am »

In previous versions, you can't domesticate anything with Can_Learn.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 09:35:10 pm »

Any unit performing a task exercises their attributes - I've had invincible slimes come out with incredible stats marked in their health tab after a protracted duel.
They don't gain any points in skills without CAN_LEARN, so technically no but practically yes. Zombies and other creatures marked as "no physical attribute gain" won't grow their stats through exercise, but those are a minority of creatures.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 12:51:13 pm »

In previous versions, you can't domesticate anything with Can_Learn.
Common_domestic can still be brought I think even if can_learn iirc if you have common domestic intelligent you can even give it tasks.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 03:54:30 am »

Do hunting dogs improve in hunting by hunting? and can animals improve their fighting skill?
I suppose not, because they aren't CAN_LEARN

Animals do not have skills at all, so they can't improve. They do have physical attributes though, but they actually decay with time (usually, I saw Endurance rise once in a giant war leopard, but before the animal died of old age it dropped below original level again). You would have to exercise the animal a lot to keep the attributes from rusting, and can't realistically exercise all attributes.

Some animals, as well as underworld denizens or forgotten beasts can have set skills, which do not change. They are so called natural skills, usually swimming or climbing for animals, and various fighting skills for forgotten beasts.