Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quickest death in one of your fortresses? (or quickest collapse)  (Read 3755 times)

DwarfsAreGoodTestSubjects

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Profile picture from Wikimedia under Public Domain
    • View Profile

This happened with my current fortress; keep in mind that I'm relatively new to this game.

I commanded my miner to dig into the cliffside. I then commanded them to dig an uphill slope there. Something collapsed and they got immediately crushed.

A couple of my dwarves are still terrified to this day.
I love sweet tea just as much as dwarfs love beer.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Quickest death in one of your fortresses? (or quickest collapse)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 10:09:36 am »

Embarked on a frozen river that happened to be in a canyon... which thawed immediately when unpausing the game. Everyone drowned before they even reached the canyon walls.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 11:56:32 am »

A necromancer siege in the first year is probably my fastest fort loss.  I've never been that unfortunate with terrain related hazards.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DwarfsAreGoodTestSubjects

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Profile picture from Wikimedia under Public Domain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 12:07:22 pm »

A necromancer siege in the first year is probably my fastest fort loss.

A necromancer siege was also the fate of my "first" fortress ("first" in quotes since there were other fortresses I had, but this is the first one I haven't abandoned). Locked my dwarves inside the fortress, but foreigners kept visiting and died. I had enough of this, so I made some spears, a quick military group, opened the hatches to the outside world and commanded them to fight the corpses. They died almost immediately. Not even a second and my entire military group was gone.

My mistake really, they were underprepared with wooden spears. (Also I have no idea if you can kill them)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 12:10:08 pm by DwarfsAreGoodTestSubjects »
I love sweet tea just as much as dwarfs love beer.

palenerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Has every disease
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 10:52:46 pm »

Savage evil biome on a river. Wagon was barely 3 tiles from the water. Giant aligators ate three people immediately. Screwed up the aquifer and fatally injured my miners. Without a pick, the last guy didn't last long after that.
Here is a drunken rendition of Sodium Chloride, it menaces with electrons. This relates to the drunkness of palenerd in Early Spring of 2023.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 02:59:50 am »

Frozen river in a canyon in a serene biome.

Initial embark:  Ice melts.  Everybody drowns.

First reclaim:  Ditto.

Second reclaim:  everyone got gored to death by unicorns.

Third reclaim:  Made it safely to the cliffs.  Then proceeded to dig a series of ramps up into an aquifer (back when “heavy” aquifers were the only kind), which (due to the layout of -what little existed of- my fort) caused everyone (and everything) to be flushed into the river.

IIRC, it was 4 layers of stone sandwiched between two aquifers (one above, one below).  Also (as this was my second fort), for some reason I thought that leaving one side of the room that I used for my refuse stockpile open to the outside would prevent miasma from occurring…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 07:21:11 am »

Small embark in an evil biome - immediately the dwarves were ripped apart by ogres.

I've had that same thing happen a few times with undead frozen tundras, but that's also a symptom of the 2x2 embark.

Embarked on a frozen river that happened to be in a canyon... which thawed immediately when unpausing the game. Everyone drowned before they even reached the canyon walls.

This always cracks me up. I just love this game sometimes.

Frozen river in a canyon in a serene biome.

Initial embark:  Ice melts.  Everybody drowns.

First reclaim:  Ditto.

Second reclaim:  everyone got gored to death by unicorns.

Third reclaim:  Made it safely to the cliffs.  Then proceeded to dig a series of ramps up into an aquifer (back when “heavy” aquifers were the only kind), which (due to the layout of -what little existed of- my fort) caused everyone (and everything) to be flushed into the river.

IIRC, it was 4 layers of stone sandwiched between two aquifers (one above, one below).  Also (as this was my second fort), for some reason I thought that leaving one side of the room that I used for my refuse stockpile open to the outside would prevent miasma from occurring…

I appreciate your tenacity. I'm re-learning things in the Steam version and keep devastating my forts, and reclaiming them until I get it /down/.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 07:42:28 am »

Giant, aggravated mosquitoes.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:49:46 am »

There was a military force on the map, maybe 30+ dwarfs that were hostile, and the expedition was slaughtered, but the funny part was that I enjoyed bringing as many turkeys as possible at that time, so there maybe 40 or 50 turkeys and the enemy needed to work for it...

Also has a fun one with 6 undead orca.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 01:13:04 pm »

Small embark in an evil biome - immediately the dwarves were ripped apart by ogres.
I had the same in a 47.05 embark but with giant red-winged blackbird corpses. Attempted reclaim twice but just couldn't get the dwarves out of sight fast enough. One time it was giant crow corpses or something I think but always undead giant birds.
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 01:15:10 am »

Embarked evil biome for the first time, unpause, raining. Yeah, ok, whatever, dig! 3 days later, all dwarves died simultaneously.

Some very evil rain, indeed.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Kikkero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 11:27:29 am »

My very first fort.  I didn't really understand what an evil biome was, ignored the warning pop-ups, and then was very annoyed when I had a full zombie invasion tearing through my fort within 9 months of embark.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 12:05:01 am »

My very first proper fort (in the Steam version), a couple undead just wandered in before the first caravan had even visited us. I should note this wasn't even a scary biome it was just regular calm forest and I was unlucky I suppose. I drafted every dwarf I had to deal with it, but one of the undead was highly skilled and just tore through everyone.

Ever since then I've been sure to get a front door or better yet a drawbridge set up for every fortress as soon as I can manage it, just in case something shows up that is way too strong to handle. I don't think I've actually had a fort crumble since then, but nothing that dangerous has shown up that early either.

Yone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2023, 12:16:59 am »

I recently reclaimed one of the game-created fort ruins. Instead of a forgotten beast deep within the fortress, which I'd encountered before with reclaims, there was a demon in the first cavern level. I couldn't wall off in time and all my dwarves were killed within the first season.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 06:12:42 pm »

Alligator in the river next to the wagon.

On the third save-scum I appointed the last dwarf standing as Chief Medical Officer and designated a spot of ground as the hospital. Not much got done that spring but I eventually had 5 mobile dwarves to construct the fortress.
Pages: [1] 2