Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298017 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2490 on: April 10, 2024, 04:06:34 pm »

The Planet Crafter has released version 1.0.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: April 26, 2024, 01:42:23 am »

Been playing a lot of games lately, in very short bursts.

Nioh is absolutely great and far more my style of game than Dark Souls is. It's just fast Dark Souls, which more customization. It honestly buckles under all the mechanics it introduces, but whatever - it plays amazing.

Battletech is also very good. Gameplay, customization, and story, all are satisfying. I've had a lot of fun just taking jobs to blow away caravans or stomp all over some pirates.

Balatro is hyped beyond belief and yes, it is very good.

I've been playing We Love Katamari, the remaster, with my daughter - it's great, love reliving my childhood games with my kid.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: April 26, 2024, 09:40:56 pm »

So manor lords came out and it great, great at being a medieval manor manager.

Not great at battles or people management, but a good city builder. 
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: April 28, 2024, 02:04:59 pm »

Any more opinions on manor lords? Similarities to other games?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: April 29, 2024, 09:58:20 am »

I watched a couple hours of it by Legend of Total War.

No disrespect to the Manor Lord devs but....the game looks wildly over-hyped. I'm a little shocked how much coverage it has gotten, front page of Steam, a lot of other things. It reminds me of Tropico with fewer options. The production chains aren't super lengthy, there's no sim management of any kind, warfare is very barebones....

It gets the aesthetic just right, and the early game of course looks enticing as you build up. But once you've formed a stable village there just doesn't seem to be that much else interesting going on.

Compared to that OTHER 4x game that came out where your civilization goes from tribal to space age, Manor Lords looks like it needs another year of development.

I mean, last I saw a couple weeks ago, you couldn't even conqueror the other factions on the map.

So my take is "good game that they're launching too early into EA for it to be a complete experience."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:02:51 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: April 29, 2024, 12:58:51 pm »

I think it's getting a bit of a Banished treatment, a decent game that for some reason is way too talked up by a ton of people. From playing it a couple of hours, so far, it pretty much is Banished+

Still very early and lacking a ton of features, but whats there is fairly polished and enjoyable if you're looking for a somewhat relaxing city-builder. The atmosphere is pretty much spot on tho, I'd love to see them add more to it in terms of building variety and options to have some properly creative looking villages and towns down the line.

I'd say if you want a similar but far more involved and complete experience, go for Foundation as that one has been in development by a bit more people for a good while now and while it's nowhere near as graphically impressive it still looks and plays pretty good for the price.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: April 29, 2024, 02:45:46 pm »

Yep, I'm strongly reminded of Banished's EA release as well.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: April 30, 2024, 07:01:46 pm »

I think it's getting a bit of a Banished treatment, a decent game that for some reason is way too talked up by a ton of people. From playing it a couple of hours, so far, it pretty much is Banished+

I was thinking the exact same thing. Banished's hype was and remains completely inexplicable to me. A solid game by all means, but I never understood why people seemed to go insane for it. I haven't played this (yet) or seen *too* much of it, but it strikes me the same way. Solid game with a weird hype around.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 01, 2024, 07:31:41 am »

I was thinking the exact same thing. Banished's hype was and remains completely inexplicable to me. A solid game by all means, but I never understood why people seemed to go insane for it. I haven't played this (yet) or seen *too* much of it, but it strikes me the same way. Solid game with a weird hype around.

Personally, I think it could just be because I don't think there was a big mainstream game of that sort before? That being a 'hardcore' settlement manager of the sort, Rimworld had only been out for a year and Dwarf Fortress was still at least afaik niche, City: Skylines was a year out so we were still in between major city building franchises, too.

I forget exactly the gaming landscape in 2014, though, so this is entirely speculative.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 01, 2024, 09:14:59 am »

IIRC the biggest selling point of Banished was people starving to death in winter, and also the aesthetic of housing once your city was built.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: May 01, 2024, 11:36:05 am »

Yeah, I think Banished's big thing was just scratching an itch that nothing else at the time really did. A nice mix of simplicity and difficulty.

Manor Lord seems to have a lot more competition, so I'm not sure why it's getting quite so much hype.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2501 on: May 01, 2024, 06:35:25 pm »

I think whomever is developing/publishing it greased some palms in the game news media industry. I was assaulted by previews and news about it the last few weeks from every possible games news outlet in my cell phone google news feed.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2502 on: May 01, 2024, 06:53:31 pm »

FWIW, I only know about Manor Lord because one of the guys I watch on Twitch picked it up. Well, that and this thread.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: May 01, 2024, 08:08:11 pm »

If you ever find the secret for what makes a game hit or sink I'd think there'd be a bunch of people trying to hire you.

Being high up on Steam's most wishlisted games, and then people liking the narrative of a small indie city builder getting to that point seems to be most of the reason for the hype from what I've seen.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 01, 2024, 09:23:57 pm »

I think it's just good ol' fashioned marketing. IIRC Legend of Total War got his copy for free from the devs. So they probably hit up a lot of people in the scene with free copies, and probably have a competent marketing department that knew how to talk to Steam. Steam does clearly pick winners in the top banner ads. And it may not even be total wishlists but by how fast it gets wishlisted. And there could also just be plain paid placement. All that, combined with it actually looking like a decent game, can go a long ways toward shaping perception.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168