Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chosen/Hero/Ordinary and Easy/Normal/Hard may be better if swapped  (Read 235 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile

I originally posted this on Steam, but I decided to put it in the suggestion category here since it's more fitting.

But yeah, hear me out...

When you create a new adventurer, you get to play around with two sets of options: Chosen/Hero/Ordinary and Easy/Normal/Hard.

Chosen/Hero/Ordinary seems to hinder the player by letting the game withhold information (for example, selecting "Ordinary" does not display hints such as showing the compass in the top left corner).

Easy/Normal/Hard is directed at the character that the player controls (i.e the character's skills).

Now wait a minute... Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Where Easy/Normal/Hard should control how many hints the player gets, and Ordinary/Hero/Chosen controls the status of the adventurer?

How is it that selecting an "Ordinary" character is an inconvenience to the player instead of the character, and selecting "Hard" is more of an inconvenience to the character than the player? From a game design perspective, it would make more sense if the "Hero" option was what made the character fit as hero by giving more stats, instead of it being the option that alters the game's hints.

It's just odd how I am able to choose a hero who happens to be the weakest he can possibly be because I chose hard, or choosing easy to make that hero strong, which makes "hero" lose its meaning.
It's why I think these two sets of options should be swapped for their intended uses. Maybe I'm more used to how classic did it (Choosing Peasant made a weak character, while Demigod made a strong character, which made sense), but this new system is more confusing I find. A character should be destined to be a hero, a chosen, or an ordinary being, it doesn't make sense for my character to be "destined to be a hard"... or "destined to be an easy"...you know?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 10:45:16 am by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chosen/Hero/Ordinary and Easy/Normal/Hard may be better if swapped
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 06:16:08 am »

I think ordinary having no compass is a bug. But anyway ordinary/hero/chosen currently have no features and are not complete.

terrobillen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 04:36:38 am »

I had the exact same though yesterday while trying to figure out what mode to play!
Chosen/Hero/Ordnary even shows portraits. They really indicate that they modify the abilities of the character (which they do not in fact).

Maybe they have a lot more planned than hints for the different modes. If not, I wholeheartedly agree that they should be swapped.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 06:19:43 am »

The chosen/hero/ordinary stuff is related to the not yet implemented new content, like dungeon improvements, magic healing, and divine quests.