Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Add Asbestos  (Read 1628 times)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Add Asbestos
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:46 pm »

Title says it all: add asbestos as a mineral that could be made into cloth, after all, it would be fireproof and fairly strong. Also, does there really need to be another reason to add this alongside mercury, among others?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Add Asbestos
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:23:32 pm »

You can mod it in.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:16:31 pm »

You can mod it in.
I figured, but I would like it to be added officially.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 11:10:23 pm »

You can mod it in.
I figured, but I would like it to be added officially.

No point in doing so if it's so easy. I can get you the mod itself.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:34:49 am »

The classification of 'mineral wool' is a late 19th century technological suggestion so unless you were jumping the gun a bit i don't think it'd be appropriate for the time period of DF and present technology at dwarves disposal, who aren't THAT advanced.

I guess the closest we already have since its classified as such is adamantine strands to that effect, limestone, ceramics & glass can also be spun into mineral wool and in general it seems to be a odd ability. Modding in a reaction like KittyTac suggests for the short term solution because of the lore & consistency problems having it availible in vanilla might make.

[THREAD_METAL:asbestos/limestone/etc:100] in the material definitions would be necessary then throw it over to reactions to spin said threads at particular workshops.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 03:52:01 am »

If I'm not mistaken, it can even have a long-term syndrome attached to it.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:15:11 am »

The classification of 'mineral wool' is a late 19th century technological suggestion so unless you were jumping the gun a bit i don't think it'd be appropriate for the time period of DF and present technology at dwarves disposal, who aren't THAT advanced.

I guess the closest we already have since its classified as such is adamantine strands to that effect, limestone, ceramics & glass can also be spun into mineral wool and in general it seems to be a odd ability. Modding in a reaction like KittyTac suggests for the short term solution because of the lore & consistency problems having it availible in vanilla might make.

[THREAD_METAL:asbestos/limestone/etc:100] in the material definitions would be necessary then throw it over to reactions to spin said threads at particular workshops.

The Romans had asbestos cloth. They treated it like a toy/miracle, but asbestos is just a "hairy" rock that anybody can dig out of the ground and use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:20:38 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 05:33:53 am »

The Romans had asbestos cloth. They treated it like a toy/miracle, but asbestos is just a "hairy" rock that anybody can dig out of the ground and use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus, the dwarves have aluminium, which wasn't extracted until the 1820s. Oddly enough, they don't have Alum, which has been known since ancient times, and was vital for the dyeing industry. Anyways, it would make sense that the dwarves, being largely miners, would use cloth that came from a mineral.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 05:40:18 am »

Heck, there is even a rock to contain the mineral to extract asbestos. dwarffortress wiki

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:55:03 am »

Plus, the dwarves have aluminium, which wasn't extracted until the 1820s.
The dwarves smelt it from native aluminum.
Extraction is from bauxite, which the dwarves treat as little more than a magma-safe stone.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:53 pm »

Given asbestos was used way before 1400 (Roman writers even noticed slaves working in aspestos mines died even more than the ones working in normal mines!), I think it can be in.

It could be useful for workers and soldiers facing fire from attackers, dragons and magma.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 01:59:22 pm »

Extraction is from bauxite, which the dwarves treat as little more than a magma-safe stone.
No, pure aluminium wasn't known to exist in the 1400s, though alum was.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 04:45:03 pm »

But people didn't live underground all their lives back then either. Pretty sure natural aluminum was right where it always was back in the 1400s. No need for tech to get at it, just a dwarvern pickaxe.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 07:45:02 pm »

But people didn't live underground all their lives back then either. Pretty sure natural aluminum was right where it always was back in the 1400s. No need for tech to get at it, just a dwarvern pickaxe.
I'm aware of that, just pointing out that if there is aluminium, which wasn't known, there is no reason not to have mercury and asbestos, which were.

Pollox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 09:16:21 am »

I think it should wear of slower than normel clothes and give the wearer a cougth or something if worn to long.
Maybe it releases a cloud of toxic dust when mined.
Pages: [1] 2