Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Matchless KungFu  (Read 17321 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Matchless KungFu
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2023, 11:25:58 am »

But to be fair, Kenshi clearly had the end-game goal of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 01:35:51 pm »

That's the entry-level end goal. The next one up was to imprison all the skeleton bosses and use them to train Beep in your thunderdome.
The point stands, though - other than seeing what's the area about and maybe collecting the (kinda meh at this point) top-tier weapons from the bosses, there was no good reason to go there. You had to manufacture the goal for yourself, and then role-play it.
Which is fine, I guess. It's just that I'm inclined to a more guided experience these days.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 05:03:54 pm »

I've been happy to just Slice of Kung Fu Life with it so far.  I've mostly been just kinda failing to figure out how to do stuff, but it's a very cozy game I think.  Apart from the times you get absolutely blasted, anyway.

Though, I have been a little discontent with how stuck in ruts I get.  Got a few moves that kinda work and they're just kinda there, and I'm not all too sure how to boost them up or replace them with cooler stuff... though I guess I now know, with the affinity boosting fights discussed here I guess.  On the other hand though figuring stuff out and doing esoteric nonsense to juice myself up seems like a perfectly legitimate feel for a wuxia game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 05:38:16 pm »

There are definitely a fair few things that need a balance pass... Cold is hilariously powerful both just as being one of the best debuffs in the game, and for having a move which can deal absolutely nonsensical amounts of damage with surprisingly little setup. Meanwhile, basically everything associated with Venom chi is pointlessly impotent.

But then you have little oddballs here and there like the Star moves, or stacking the spike buff to ridiculous heights. And really, with just how many techniques there are and how spread out and varied things are, you basically do just end up brewing up your own wacky mishmash of a build as you go, making the best of what you've got.

Oh yeah, and there's that cursed sword skill that I randomly found at an auction... Which has its own scripted subplot and is basically a pact with Khorne that demands you shun all alliances and human compassion in favor of a cycle of endless bloodshed; but to compensate gives you completely busted power to keep the slaughter going. But if there's any sliver of humanity left in you, using it will devour you from the inside out.

As for just living life, running a tavern has been great and I love it. Everyone in Wuxia fantasy land is a lush, apparently. I've kinda been considering teaching my best customers the Drunken Immortal technique so they don't just pass out on top of my table after three drinks xD Ah yeah, and if it's not obvious, if you stock the table itself with food/drinks they'll get consumed, but it's considered basically as free bar snacks (even the wine). Popular, but they won't pay for it directly. However, if you have a wine shelf nearby, they can eat the stuff in the shelf from the bar table, and I believe that counts as a purchase. It can also supply all the tables around it, while putting food on/in a table wll only stock that one (I believe).

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2023, 07:26:58 pm »

Anyone know how treasure maps work? I bought a couple in an auction. The description mentions hidden treasure.

Using one brings up a chunk of your map (although in black and white), with a bright red "X".

So I've found the spot on the map marked by the "X", but I can't find anything there that looks like either a treasure chest or somewhere I can dig. Do I need a shovel or something?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2023, 07:30:51 pm »

Anyone know how treasure maps work? I bought a couple in an auction. The description mentions hidden treasure.

Using one brings up a chunk of your map (although in black and white), with a bright red "X".

So I've found the spot on the map marked by the "X", but I can't find anything there that looks like either a treasure chest or somewhere I can dig. Do I need a shovel or something?

there should be a 'press f to dig' popup. iirc

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2023, 08:37:55 pm »

Sometimes, it's just a chest that might not be obvious. It might be hidden behind a tree or rock that you need to harvest first.

But yeah, sometimes you'll get a dialogue asking if you would like to dig.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2023, 08:44:12 pm »

You may also need to check for underground/underwater tunnels.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2023, 11:07:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2023, 03:01:32 am »

Sometimes, it's just a chest that might not be obvious. It might be hidden behind a tree or rock that you need to harvest first.

But yeah, sometimes you'll get a dialogue asking if you would like to dig.

I don't think I've ever had a treasure map point to one of the "hidden chests"... It's always just the underground ones. Which, notably, are the only ones that ferrets will ping for; they don't give a damn about the visible hidden chests.

An important thing to note with the maps, however, is that they have no indication of which elevation level the chest is on... It will show the exact X and Y coordinates of the treasure, but if there's a cave or a shelf or something at that location then it could be on any of the flat surfaces on the Z axis for those coordinates.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2023, 04:16:32 pm »

Yeah, my experience so far has been that treasure maps don't point to Hidden Chests and typically if it's not where you thought it was, it's in the same bit but on a different Z-level.

I always snag them out of the auction, they're cheap and no one wants to fight me over them over more than like 400, 500 or so.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2023, 09:52:46 am »

Big update today! They've added a bunch of new stuff, including a basic command function where you can gather nearby friends/loyal servants into a squad and then order them to do stuff. Haven't messed around with this much yet, but it looks like you can tell them to do stuff like jump into the hot spring for what effectively becomes a pool party...

You can also share a bed with someone, and coincidentally even have children which will grow up into their own NPC adults!

They've also added an assortment of other things like fireworks, new events, new dialogue options, and new fantastically butchered translated text (now with broken formatting brackets!)

You can buy fireworks from the cargo ships, which seem to have gotten a little bit of a graphical tweak as well. This seems to have updated their inventories in general, so several of the ships which had been flat broke in my world have now restocked with several tens of thousands of coins to trade for my mountains of cooking experience.

EDIT: Also the building interface has changed... Now instead of everything being classed as a "residence", you can pick between all the building categories available, and each category will have its own 5 blueprint slots to work with (with a small, medium, and large preset for each type already included).

I don't know if or how the game and its NPCs will treat each classification differently, but I daresay it's still a nice touch and should help sort the map out at a glance, as well as allowing us to save considerably more designs than before!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2023, 02:10:56 pm »

Dang, that looks awesome!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2023, 07:54:28 pm »

I'm not sure I quite get the appeal. The challenges kinda run out soon after you get the basics figured out (and perhaps reincarnate once).
Is going to that island (I'm supposed to get eaten by a shark?) at all worthwhile, or is unlocking all the quest-giving tiles and roflstomping the championships roughly the peak of what the game can throw at you?
There's some fun mechanics in this, and some scripted events written in Mecha-Chinglish are properly silly, but I kinda get the feeling they're just window dressing for a pretty barren game. Not sure it can be much improved with further development.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2023, 08:07:39 pm »

Getting a character captured on the island unlocks the ability to have multiple characters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5