Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Matchless KungFu  (Read 17319 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
The Matchless KungFu
« on: September 12, 2023, 11:49:31 am »

Like Amazing Cultivation Simulator, but want to play as a First-person RPG instead? Look no further!

It's been compared to Kenshi in regards to it's open world and ability to "Do Anything, if the Game doesn't kill you off."

It's a foreign title with a shitty Engrish translation, Early Access, and poorly documented in the English world. So it's perfect for discussing here!  ;D

Go give foreigners your money on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696440/The_Matchless_Kungfu/

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Matchless KungFu
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 01:29:02 pm »

I've got to say, it looks amazing. The story Folly mentioned in the "What are you currently playing?" thread really captured my attention.

Will have to pick this up soon, even with the twin flags of a rough translation and early access.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 03:36:33 pm »

Euchre asked about how to find worms in the other thread...

I have not gone out of my way looking for them yet, but I was able to gather one type from the tops of hills at night within the map tile where they spawn. They just looked like a swarm of fireflies.
I was able to purchase some of the other three insect types from a NPC who came to me looking for investment. I assume she must have been from the Sect that focuses on insect secrets. And although I have not yet explored it, that sect probably has more gathering points for the other insects around it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 06:47:55 am »

Whilst traveling today, I was once again beset by a bandit who noticed my coin purse and demanded that I share my wealth. I was fairly confident that I could take him, so I responded to his demand with an insult, and the fight was on. There were no witnesses around to judge me, so I held nothing back, unleashing the full fury of some flaming-sword techniques I had recently picked up. In the end nothing was left of the bandit but a pile of smoldering ashes.

A few moments later I was approached by another stranger, who praised my strength and offered me an elixir which he promised would amplify my strength even further! This seemed like an obvious trap, but the man had a reputation for being Honorable. So against my better judgement I accepted the elixir and downed it in a single gulp. The 'Honorable' stranger laughed in my face as I was immediately afflicted with 100 stacks of poison! The man revealed that he was a close friend of the bandit I had just murdered, and this was his revenge!

This new opponent was not particularly strong, but I was still injured from the previous fight, and now badly poisoned as well; fighting in this state seemed ominous at best, so I quickly turned and triple-jumped onto a nearby cliff, where I could only hope I would not be followed. I rapidly searched my bags for consumables, a found just enough anti-poison paste to remove most of my toxins, and some tasty soup I had prepared which would rapidly recover my lost vigor. I got back into fighting form just in time to chase down the would-be avenger, and teach him a lesson. Burning to a crisp was too good for this dishonorable rogue, so I stripped him of his kung-fu, stripped him of his clothes, and left him on an island in the middle of a freezing lake.

Another wanderer noticed my strength and approached me. Fortunately this time he did not come offering suspicious packages. Instead, he offered to tell me the location of a place with powerful beasts, whom I could challenge to further my skills. I went to the place he described, but I had only just begun to explore when I found myself completely frozen solid! I had explored cold areas before, but apparently this area was some kind of next-level cold!
Changing into my warmest clothing thawed me out just barely enough to move, though I was still in danger of freezing to death if I remained here much longer. As if I needed further encouragement, at that very moment a massive frosty dragon appeared before me, with more power than I could even begin to gauge! I turned and made all possible haste to safer and warmer climates. I will clearly need to prepare more before I return to this challenge.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 07:34:45 am »

I'm only a couple of hours into my playthrough, so I'm mostly just learning how everything works. However, I can confidently state that no dog, chicken, or monkey can stand before me. There's nothing like the thrill of literally kicking a dog to death, then robbing it of its meat and feces.

I made myself a tiny hovel - literally just a 2x1 structure, large enough to hold a bamboo cot to sleep on and restore my health.
On my first night there, someone came up to my tiny shack and offered to buy it... for 60 coins. While I was flattered that my cultivation-equivalent to a cardboard box was apparently so in demand, I politely declined and went back to sleep.

I find it rather hilarious that your character makes themselves broken bowls to beg with. Like yeah, my crafting skill isn't great, but can we at least pretend that I'm trying to make an actual bowl?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 08:31:19 am by AlStar »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 11:41:27 am »

If you can afford an unbroken bowl, then you don't need a handout. - Lessons in Begging from an Expert

The larger/more resource-intensive your house, the more you get for selling it. That is why I like building mansions. - Tips from a Real Estate Mogul

Keep beating up those animals till they teach you their Kung Fu - Lessons I learned from the Animals

I survived the Frost Dragon. Losing all my stuff to a bandit afterwards was hardly a tragedy in comparison. - My Former Reckless Life
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 02:17:01 pm »

proper use of a grass mat for daytime resting

its fun. its like a mashup of kenshi and A Wanderer's Romance, this wuxia tabletop I used to play.

so far, just like kenshi, it can be worthwhile to poke your head into difficult areas and possibly scavenge some nice gear.

it doesn't feel terribly slow like a lot of survival crafters.

the fact you have the same starting tiles confuses me because you might end up with endlessly similar permutations of the same 3 or 4 tiles.. very confusing. then again, I've only genned two worlds and I could be totally wrong here.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 09:04:37 pm »

Okay, this was funny enough that it warrants another post:

I had just unlocked a new area (desert this time, since I'd found some -heat gear). Went to go explore it. A bandit runs up to me, and initially says (something to the tune of) "this is our territory, hand over your valuables!" ... however, when they actually look at me, they realize that I'm actually stronger than they are. Upon this realization, they immediately prostate themselves, and say that they didn't realize that a "great hero" was in the area, and so sorry to have bothered you... please don't kill me. I accepted that I wouldn't kill them, which gave a huge 'thankful' relationship buff that gave me the option of becoming this bandit's master, which I did... which is how I recruited my first retainer/companion/slave out of some dude that ran up to me demanding money.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 02:53:01 pm »

so, I'm thinking that particular event is scripted, because it happened to both of the new chars I generated after wiping all data.. some random dude shows up and commits himself to your cause.

I also think the first time you lose to an enemy, you will be saved by some random nearby NPC in a scripted event, Funnily enough, for me this was the same guy that just kicked my ass.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 04:44:55 pm »

Yeah, there are several scripted events.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 05:35:35 pm »

I also think the first time you lose to an enemy, you will be saved by some random nearby NPC in a scripted event

My first character suffered her first defeat after climbing up to a clinic built atop a plateau. The doctor working at the clinic for some reason took offense at me climbing instead of using the bridge; she attacked me on the spot, downed me, and then took my head as a trophy. Nobody came to my rescue, and I learned the hard way that The Matchless Kungfu has permadeath. Now I am much more cautious when exploring new areas.

After returning to Karma and reincarnating, I've been looking to avenge my past life. But the Doctor is always tucked away inside the clinic now, surrounded by patients. I'm concerned that they would try to help the Doctor if I just barged in and attacked. And even if I won, all of the patients would likely think poorly of me afterwards. So I'm biding my time, waiting for the right moment...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 05:39:13 pm by Folly »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 09:28:12 pm »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 10:13:18 am »

Had my first death - turns out that jilted lovers (well, insomuch as a total stranger running up to me and saying "I'm powerful, you're pretty - become my wife!" counts as a lover) are willing to fight you to the death if you tell them to get lost. I was within a hair of winning the fight - if I'd gotten a chance to hit him with the special attacks I had queued, it probably would have been enough.

I also found out that it's possible to fail to learn new skills. There was a blade skill that required 4 fists and 4 swords to activate. Through using the the guard skill, I was able to regularly get up to 3 blades and 3 or 4 fists... but after minutes of attempts, I never managed to get that forth blade - I ended up conceding the fight.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 02:00:18 pm »

I do love reading patch notes, especially for Early Access games:

5. Fixed the issue where NPC would mindlessly eat the Poo and Poison in his own package.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 04:09:41 pm »

I do love reading patch notes, especially for Early Access games:

5. Fixed the issue where NPC would mindlessly eat the Poo and Poison in his own package.
Yeah, I am gonna miss that "feature".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5