Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132294 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1350 on: October 18, 2023, 08:46:19 pm »

Man, I might have seen that. I remember an elijahy-woody kid getting offed out of the blue in an otherwise completely forgettable experience. But then again, might have been another film, since as you say they are all the same.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 18, 2023, 09:23:27 pm »

So I saw a breakdown about some of the imagery and stuff in Across the Spider-verse which made me want to go check and sure enough Into the Spider-verse was available so I watched that happily and before we ended up ordering ATSV I notice it'll be on Netflix this Halloween, so there's that.

Love the artstyle of the first one, love the artstyles of the second one, especially love Pavitr (CHAI MEANS TEA BRO), and the way they turned a villain who literally beat Spidey in the comics the first time by causing him to laugh himself silly when he heard his name into a credible foe is cool shit.
This is not a signature.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 18, 2023, 09:24:56 pm »

Why do we fill modern media with depressing shit shows of human drama, as though real life isn’t shitty enough. And then you add a perverted director who wants to “explore” teens having sexual experiences on top of it, as some sort of lame duck “children repeating sins of their parents” allegory. When it’s really just an excuse to have Christina Ricci prey on a 14 year old boy.
For what it's worth... if you look at classical literature, or old plays, or just. All of human creative works throughout history. It's not a modern media phenomena, heh.

For whatever reason, stuff about shitty relationships, bad sex, and death, has been consistently drawing production (and worse, praise) in creative efforts for basically all of known human history. We're remarkably persistent about it, and give that sort of mess some of the highest accolades in writing and performance we can. Regularly.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:26:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 18, 2023, 09:44:40 pm »

Classical stories at least have some real pathos. This shit is just mundane boredom masquerading as impactful emotion. Like, "A Marriage Story" at least has some real emotions and tangible, relateable things in it. It's wildly unpleasant to experience but at least you feel like these are real things that happen to real people and that your time wasn't wasted on some trite titillation. It's a movie with no real ending AND no real point to it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 18, 2023, 09:59:31 pm »

I finally got around to watching Conan the Barbarian and recognized a bunch of lines in there, like "Now they will know why they fear the night" and "do you want to live forever?"

TBH, I was expecting it to be a lame old Arnold movie full of cheesey 1 liners, but it managed to be significantly better than many modern movies once I got used to the old school special effects.  It followed a classic hero's journey arc, but a few times looked like they were emulating the story of Jesus.  Almost like if Jesus was a savage barbarian.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 19, 2023, 07:37:49 am »

The old Conan is unironically one of my favourite films. I love everything about it. From the surprisingly philosophical themes, through the clever editing that respects the viewer and the occasional low-key goofy humour to the operatic music that imo makes the movie. Even the oftentimes hammy acting and old-school visual effects work in this, because they make you feel even more like you're watching an opera. I always half-expect Arnie to burst out with a dope aria in key moments of the story - it would have made it perfect. Alas, a voice of an angel was never among the many blessings bestowed on that man (which in my headcanon is the only reason the producers didn't greenlight a full-on musical).

The sequel - and the barbarian-themed spinoffs, like Red Sonia - lacked most of the charm. They were just generic fantasy romps with little to no soul.
How was the remake, though? Never seen it, but the trailer made it look boring as fuck.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 19, 2023, 08:24:26 am »

No no I watched it not long ago and it's kind of great... I mean 80-90 action will allways be somewhat cheesy but I think that time aged very well, whereas most of the stuff from 60-70, except for some rare exceptions, is just diificult to watch.
let

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 22, 2023, 08:15:35 pm »

I liked the second Conan movie more than the first, presumably because it was just a fantasy adventure rather than a sweeping epic.

With that in mind, I couldn't get all the way through the Conan remake. They hit the balance wrong and ended up with a frat boy serial killer instead of a boisterous mercenary, so I ended up liking the incestuous sorcerer villains trying to murder plot girl to resurrect a third evil sorceress more than the main cast. It had some cool parts, but... egh.

For further calibration, did you know they made a Conan TV show? No? There's a reason for that! It also had some really cool parts (and a likeable cast!) but was so bad I had to force myself to watch it in small pieces. Damn shame.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 22, 2023, 08:40:38 pm »

There's still nothing in cinema quite like Conan punching a camel in the face.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 22, 2023, 08:52:18 pm »

I remember the Conan tv series, the actor was that big muscle guy that played one of the gladiator friend of the main character in the Gladiator movie too.

Still have fonds memories of the 1st Conan movie, was just fantastic at the time with such a great soundtrack.
I didn't liked the 2nd one much, it didn't lived to my expectations after having been a fan of the 1st unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 08:54:08 pm by Robsoie »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 23, 2023, 12:31:07 am »

There's still nothing in cinema quite like Conan punching a camel in the face.

The powerful sorcerer turning a snake into a straight shaft, so he can shoot it at someone with a bow.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 23, 2023, 08:07:06 am »

I always liked his character development. At one point writing for The Simpsons, then he takes over from Letterman...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 24, 2023, 05:00:28 am »

No no I watched it not long ago and it's kind of great... I mean 80-90 action will allways be somewhat cheesy but I think that time aged very well, whereas most of the stuff from 60-70, except for some rare exceptions, is just diificult to watch.
What's wrong with 60s and 70s stuff, there was a lot of good stuff made in that period.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 24, 2023, 10:58:56 am »

Im not super versed in it... sure there is monty python and stanley kubrick, but then what? The TV stuff mostly wasn't great. I will gladly revise my opinion but I fail to think of many examples.
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 24, 2023, 11:58:58 am »

Bruce Lee movies in the end of the seventies.
As a kid those were the best things ever.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96