Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132338 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1335 on: September 25, 2023, 10:02:40 am »

Currently watchin the 1979 movie The Warriors, piecemeal, on Youtube via a playlist that I won't link.

It's gloriously cheesy fun. Great music, hilariously over the top fight scenes, LOTS of running, and godawful dialogue and line delivery. I love it.

Been thinking of rewatching this one, still i'm a bit worried in case it aged badly, i have fond memory of the last time i watched it, i think it was near +35 years ago.
I remember how it launched a trend in coin op games during the eighties with so many street focused beat-em up games , double dragon, renegade, vigilante, final fight...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: September 25, 2023, 11:03:18 am »

Nah. The Warriors is still good. It's got so much style it's hard for it age poorly.

Although the gender relations bits in the movie haven't aged as well......
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 27, 2023, 03:08:23 am »

I quite liked the movie and have always wanted to get the PS2 game based off of it, but I can't ever find it or when I do I can't afford it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 27, 2023, 11:04:03 am »

I’m pretty sure it’s on the PS Store if you have a PS4 or PS5.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 28, 2023, 04:14:42 am »

The only problem with that is that I don't really play console games anymore so I can't really justify buying a PS4 just for that game. So for now I'll just keep hoping I can find it cheap.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 28, 2023, 04:25:53 am »

Buy used PS4

Play gaem

Sell used PS4

Maybe
Love, scriver~

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 29, 2023, 07:48:42 am »

Tomorrow I am going to watch a film themed the Northern Korea war , which shows the brave spirit of the Chinese military warriors against the American warriors , I am thrilled , for I love movies about history .

But may I ask a question , is there some movies in the USA about the Northern Korea War , I want to know a little more , just from the perspective of another country.
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 29, 2023, 08:10:51 am »

The most famous film and (tangentially related) TV series set during the Korean War in the West is M*A*S*H, set in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital unit. The movie is a extremely black comedy that's largely forgotten, while the TV series is a dark dramedy (that's in many ways really about Vietnam) that remains quite popular in reruns today.

For the most part the Korean conflict is completely absent from Western media. Partly because Vietnam was a far longer fight that completely overshadowed it (the list I'm looking at shows precisely four movies made after Vietnam ended, and only a handful more after it started), partly because the geopolitical situation that lead to it was so extremely complex. It isn't a conflict that we think about except in the context of M*A*S*H reruns (something which I've been told annoys the hell out of South Koreans who dislike the fact that every "Korean" on the show is played by a Japanese actor, and that it means that most Americans still think of South Korea as a backwards war-torn hellhole).

If you just want the perspective of pretty much every country that is not China, North Korea, or (possibly) Russia, that is far more simple. That perspective (among people who think about it at all, which isn't that big a group relatively speaking) is "there is no such thing as a North Korean hero, the fact that the country still exists is a crime against humanity". Opinions on the Chinese Intervention (among the even smaller proportion that study it to sufficient detail to have an opinion) are more nuanced. It is generally accepted that MacArthur really wasn't planning to invade China and his nuclear threats (foiled by President Truman's absolute refusal to authorize the strikes) were intended merely to force passivity. However, his bellicose posturing and refusal to stop pursuit well short of the border were very much the actions of somebody planning an invasion, particularly when he was in regular communication with Chiang Kai-Shek (蒋介石), who was aggressively offering military aid to UN forces while insisting that he was going to return and reconquer the mainland. This, obviously, looked very much like MacArthur and Chiang were conspiring to reopen the Chinese Civil War at the Korean border. So there's a lot more sympathy toward Beijing's decision to intervene than there is for North Korea's decision to start the war in the first place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 29, 2023, 09:12:31 am »

((Definitely ninjaed, by LS, but as I'd written a lot... far more than intended ...maybe it'll add something..!))

I'm fairly sure that most films about the Korean War, from the US perspective, won't be useful suggestions at all. For various reasons.

Though the very first that comes to mind is M*A*S*H (yes, written like that). I won't link the Wikipedia page that you're not going to see, but I shall quote (parts of) its introductory section:
M*A*S*H (stylized on-screen as MASH) is a 1970 American black comedy war film [...] based on Richard Hooker's 1968 novel MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors. The picture [...] became one of the biggest films of the early 1970s for 20th Century Fox.

[sidebar:: Running time: 116 minutes; Country: United States; Language: English; Budget: $3 million; Box office: $81.6 million]

The film depicts a unit of medical personnel stationed at a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) during the Korean War. [...] Although the Korean War is the film's storyline setting, the subtext is the Vietnam War – a current event at the time the film was made. Doonesbury creator Garry Trudeau, who saw the film in college, said M*A*S*H was "perfect for the times, the cacophony of American culture was brilliantly reproduced onscreen".

The film won the Grand Prix du Festival International du Film, later named the Palme d'Or, at the 1970 Cannes Film Festival. The film went on to receive five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, and won for Best Adapted Screenplay. In 1996, M*A*S*H was included in the annual selection of 25 motion pictures added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and recommended for preservation. The Academy Film Archive preserved M*A*S*H in 2000.

The film inspired the television series M*A*S*H, which ran from 1972 to 1983. [...] Altman despised the TV series, calling it "the antithesis of what we were trying to do" with the movie.

The film (and the TV adaptation, which most people remember) very much acted as satire on the Vietnam War, as mentioned (the Vietnam conflict ended not long after, the Korean one is still technically active!) and isn't really about the battles, etc, unlike (I presume) your film. ((Skipping back from having reviewing all noted films about the war, for a bit I write later, I'm guessing it's likely to be The Battle at Lake Changjin (2021), The Battle at Lake Changjin II (2022) or Sniper (2022)?)). I actually have no idea whether M*A*S*H (film or TV) is likely to be available to you. Or to be the kind of thing you'd want to watch anyway.

I had a quick look at what other films might interest/be available to you:
Quote from: More wikipedia
Many films, books, and other media have depicted the 1950—53 Korean War. The TV series M*A*S*H is one well known example. The 1959 novel The Manchurian Candidate has twice been made into films. The 1982 film Inchon about the historic battle that occurred there in September 1950 was a financial and critical failure. By 2000 Hollywood alone had produced 91 feature films on the Korean War. Many films have also been produced in South Korea and other countries as well.
..but:
Compared to World War II, there are relatively few Western feature films depicting the Korean War.

Of those listed, from the US, only The Manchrian Candidate[1] stands out in my mind as something I'm familiar with, which is not really "a war film". And then there's the sole mentioned British film[2], which I've either seen or seen bits of or I'm totally confusing with something else. (Though not of course "The Hill", for which I'll provide a link for everyone else who is wondering, nor Hamburger Hill/etc.)

Really, there's not much love for the original conflict (from 'our' perspective of preventing the post-Japanese Soviet-controlled North from rolling over the post-Japanese American-controlled South, after neither local side could agree on reunification terms, but doubtless described very differently in your circles), which just reinforced a form of the original post-WW2 division in a still tense stalemate that was one of the few obvious remnants left of the Cold War.

In the likes of British Culture, being a Korean War veteran indicates a very narrow band of largely 'forgotten' soldiers, probably missed WW2 (by being too young), but still were part of the original wartime call-up and then had the (mis)fortune to be sent half a world away to achieve... a pause in hostilities. I know someone (a somewhat older male relative) who didn't go, but possibly only because he wasn't rated fully fit at the time - others from his particular induction did, but I never learnt if he even knew how 'their war' went, just how his own time in uniform did. But it was a cultural tag, of sorts. (I just (re)discovered that the character Basil Fawlty was a Korean War veteran. "Killed four men". He was in the Catering Corps...)

[1] "The Manchurian Candidate (1962), adapted from a thriller novel The Manchurian Candidate (1959), directed by John Frankenheimer, and featuring Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury. It is about brainwashed POWs of the US Army and an officer's investigation to learn what happened to him and his platoon in the war. The 2004 remake starred Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep."

[2] "A Hill in Korea (1956) is a British war film. The original name was Hell in Korea, but was changed for distribution reasons, except in the U.S. It was directed by Julian Amyes[8] and the producer was Anthony Squire."

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 04, 2023, 08:47:46 pm »

Maybe a mild necro, but I thought I’d give a review of the Creator:
Very very two and a half stars — absolutely brilliant acting, but the plot was predictable and the worldbuilding was thoroughly uninspired. Terrible marvel humour — though I did laugh at one joke — reasonable spectacle, two Radiohead songs(!) as the only real highlights, chock full of minor-to-medium plotholes.

I do really hope to see the actors elsewhere, though, because they did a great job, especially the child actor. 

Possibly the worst thing in hindsight was that they never addressed the question of whether
Spoiler: spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 13, 2023, 08:02:42 pm »

The Last Witch Hunter with Vin Diesel is a solid B movie available for free on youtube.  I started it with low expectations and arguably too much food for 1 person to eat in a single sitting.  Not too gory or emotional to ruin a meal.  It had some good moments too.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 14, 2023, 07:35:02 pm »

Finally watched Dune Part 1.

Yay for good cinema!

(Although I did catch myself constantly comparing it in my brain to the 1984 one.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 14, 2023, 08:21:04 pm »

(Although I did catch myself constantly comparing it in my brain to the 1984 one.)
So, like 90% good experience? :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 18, 2023, 12:14:37 pm »

Interesting article on the legacy (amongst other things) of The Matrix...

(Although the writer doesn't understand the scenario, it seems. e.g. "Some things from the film haven't aged so well - like the use of payphones to jump between realities". The en-Matrixed characters did use mobile handsets, as more or less suited to the frozen-in-time instant era that was being simulated for them, despite actual developments being any number of generations beyond that time, given that the Machines took over (in the 'outer[1]' reality, a world in which there is zee-rust of technology far beyond the capabilities of the world the plugged-in inhabit). What it seems to be is that the hovercraft-bound need to have a suitable hard-link to the communications system that coordinates the simulation[2], and in the sumulation, they hadn't discovered the cheat-code to do with portable telecommunications devices what the "Save slot"-ready 'payphone' gamesprite/voxel virtual-object is somehow coded to allow.)

[1]I still don't believe it. There's clearly another level of reality out there you need to reach before true reality. Zion is just the trap for those that think they've taken the right pill of the right colour (or their ancestors did), and now all their many problems are at lest 'real'.

[2] It might even be that Zion-reality cannot use mobile signals/wifi to the extent the Matrix-reality simulates it. It's a gameplay feature, only, like "instant 100% healing" drops on FPS levels. I mean, they do have some remote connectivity, but it's either not physically possible to do more than simple comms, it's impossible due to the underground nature (all lined with signal-suppressing rock), it somehow 'leaks' too much location information (you can physically tap a comms node right and the Machines can be fooled, for a while; you start broadcasting and the nearest Squids are on you before you can say "Log me in, Dozer") or just the 11G bandwidth isn't there to emulate the Terabit/Petabit full-experience neural-VR connection.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 18, 2023, 06:37:45 pm »

As is my usual habit on work trips, I watch stuff on HBO in the hotel room I’d never be motivated to watch on my own.

So I watched “The Ice Storm.” An “adult” relationship drama.

These movies are ALL the fucking same.

They’re all about broken relationships, and sex. Even the “teens” in the movie, their arcs are about sex.

In this movie, Kevin Klein is sleeping with someone other than his wife and that’s like…half the movie. It culminates in a key party, where all the adults are basically going to a swinger party. Kevin Klein, Sigorney Weaver, and Kevin Klein’a wife all attend, and all this relationship drama plays out.

It also takes place during the eponymous ice storm. And right near the end, my movie watcher brain goes “You know what this depressing shit show needs to cap it all off? A needless tragedy.”

And lo, a minute later, Elijah Wood (Signorney Weavers son) gets himself electrocuted playing around during the ice storm when a downed power line makes contact with the metal guard rail he’s leaning against. It’s improbable, it’s telegraphed and it’s entirely pointless as a plot point in the last 10 minutes of the movie. The character isn’t even likeable! He’s a weirdo out doing his own thing and they kill him off because otherwise the plot as nothing to close it up.

Who the fuck greenlights these scripts, seriously? Why do we fill modern media with depressing shit shows of human drama, as though real life isn’t shitty enough. And then you add a perverted director who wants to “explore” teens having sexual experiences on top of it, as some sort of lame duck “children repeating sins of their parents” allegory. When it’s really just an excuse to have Christina Ricci prey on a 14 year old boy.

The stories suck, story beats suck and the only thing of real interest is the sex. Which just gets progressively cringier and grosser as it crosses over from “hot” to “sad and awkward.”
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 06:47:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 96