Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132292 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1305 on: September 09, 2023, 04:33:57 pm »

The Thing 2011 does kinda show the same problems with directors today just not able to make certain kinds of movies. Del Toro commented that a movie like the original Thing wouldn't be made today, for the same sort of reasons his attempt to make at the mountains of madness went nowhere. Studio didn't want an all male cast, they wanted a romance subplot, an action hero focus instead of a ensemble cast-oriented horror, and the only lip service you get to the actual horror genre being jumpscares which... Aren't horrifying.

One of the best moments in all my teaching career was when I was teaching an English writing lesson in Beijing. One of my students, lovely business lady in her 30s asks me what was the difference between horror and terror. I said terror was walking through the woods and meeting a wolf. Horror was knowing your child was in the woods, and you hear a wolf howl. I got the best reaction with my students all getting goosebumps and feeling that visceral emotion - and they ended up producing some horrifying short stories. My favourite one that I still remember to this day was all about some parents who send their kids to a daycare centre. Their kids all come back talking about how their best friend is Zhang Gu. The parents all talk to one another, trying to find out whose kid Zhang Gu is, as they must be proud of having such a popular kid. No one knows whose kid Zhang Gu is. The next day they drop off their kids and ask the daycare centre whose kid this is. The daycare centre says there is no such kid as Zhang Gu.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 10, 2023, 08:14:31 pm »

Just watched Under Siege for the first time in a long time, because it was handy.

Reminded immediately of one of the biggest plot-holes (or strangenesses) that it has. For the audience, clearly the 'stripper' (Miss July 1980-whatever?) was a Ms. Fanservice, like the inexplicable bit with 'Cueball' shaping-some-moves[1] is avjarring bit of Down-Wid-Da-Kids-service. But for the mercenaries..?

I mean, her presence was likely additional inducement for more than just gourmet-pizza-lovers to attend the mock celebration. If you're bringing over a small army disguised as waiters and band-members, it would only be a more modern (or forward-looking) film that might have a suitable femme-fetale-for-hire who doesn't mind playing her party-part up until the point it turns out that she does like guns and will kill people (on a more enlightened modern navy ship, she may well even be eventually bitch-stomped by the mousey female crewmember who becomes part of the rag-tag team of heroic fight-backers). But here they decide that their faux-party needs an actual genuine pin-up-girl as part of their cover, and one that they don't take into their concidence (it is implied that the Colm Meaney character is pay-master/recruiter with deep pockets who could surely find someone who will fulfill the purpose of tits-for-hire but willingly fit in with the rest of the plan, or at least enough of it how they might explain it).

They don't even need her to do her actual cake-thing (Birthday Boy is to be killed in his cabin), which then makes her superfluous to the take-over. And, it appears, they completely forget about her!. Not even told "sorry, gal, we're going to lock you in the fo'c'sle, too" (with a lot of frustrated sailors, of course, which sounds worse than the film would probably run with that idea). The (nearly) meticulous plan just goes ahead with every one of the mercs (all of whom came aboard on the very same rather cramped helicopter flight), and even the brains of the outfit (Jones, if not the technical subordinate who might well be too tech-focused) and on-site man Busey (who has already embraced the idea of everyone knowing that she's there, by doing his drag-bait-switch performance prior to going to the cabin) seem to have no care about whether there's any further need for her, never mind notice that she's not yet even moved.

They do discover her (temporarily, though she is rescued almost immediately) and one of the two people who might even have approached her agent and signed her contract (I get the impression that CM's character would have arranged all that, or at least be there as TLJ's fake persona sealed the deal) ends up forgetting about her right up to the moment he gets severe (and definitely ironic) lead-poisoning.

Now, I'm not saying this is a "good job fixing it, villain" situation. Without her brought along, I'm not sure how it would have gone for the hero... He wouldn't have to drag her around (as she carries his spare equipment) once she refuses to pie low in the locker, so maybe he would have just picked off more of the mooks that little bit quicker (not needing to double-back after getting the satellite phone set up, either), and he would still have had the opportunity to accumulate the rest of his siege-breaking assistants (though she was instrumental, by that point, of shaming the most reluctant member into actually doing something). Obviously, after attacking the sub she was extremely important, but that was a plot-point that many prior divergences (for want of her presence) could have so easily avoided. He could have managed to take out Colm, along the way, or the one lookout who had even seen him in the water in order to prompt Colm to be genre-savvy enough to anticipate his likely next point of appearance. If he hadn't had just ground his way through to the Big Bad encounter well before the sub sub-plot/plan ever became realised.

But, for a very thorough (and well prepared with contingencies) mission profile by the besiegers seems to have just totally failed to factor her in, beyond the period of subterfuge. They may not have been totally prepared to handle a cook with "additional skills" running loose (or even not, as I'm sure he'd have somehow slipped away before being fo'c'sled, had the grievances exhibited by the XO not arranged his unique opportunities to remain uncaught by the main trap), but they definitely did know/could predict that the woman they brought to the party was there. Somewhere. Even if overly drowsy (which wouldn't help her chances of being somehow the fly in their ointment, anyway).

Can you tell that I've thought this, once or twice before? A reasonable film (of its time), and one of the S.S. films that I'm not reluctant to rewatch, but this character is shoehorned in without much logic (even movie-logic) for a significant part of her place in the story...

[1] And book-ending the film by giving Casey a contribed dialogue reason to suddenly kiss Jordan as quickly as if she'd been a Spanish footballer!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 10, 2023, 08:36:36 pm »

I think that’s the most analysis that a Segal film will ever receive.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 10, 2023, 10:31:16 pm »

One of the best moments in all my teaching career was when I was teaching an English writing lesson in Beijing. One of my students, lovely business lady in her 30s asks me what was the difference between horror and terror. I said terror was walking through the woods and meeting a wolf. Horror was knowing your child was in the woods, and you hear a wolf howl. I got the best reaction with my students all getting goosebumps and feeling that visceral emotion - and they ended up producing some horrifying short stories. My favourite one that I still remember to this day was all about some parents who send their kids to a daycare centre. Their kids all come back talking about how their best friend is Zhang Gu. The parents all talk to one another, trying to find out whose kid Zhang Gu is, as they must be proud of having such a popular kid. No one knows whose kid Zhang Gu is. The next day they drop off their kids and ask the daycare centre whose kid this is. The daycare centre says there is no such kid as Zhang Gu.
Ooh, that’s good.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 10, 2023, 10:40:21 pm »

I think that’s the most analysis that a Segal film will ever receive.
Nah, there's multi-page academic analysis on those things faffing about somewhere, iirc. Less than a dozen paragraphs don't even enter into the running.

Most that one will ever receive on B12, though, maybe :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 10, 2023, 11:21:32 pm »

"why don't they just stick to what's in the comics?!?"
Still waiting for the spider-man movie where Peter Parker has to cope with how he killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spunk
Or a movie where he has six arms
Or one where he gives birth to himself
Or one where he fights Big Wheel

God, I wish.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 11, 2023, 05:43:27 am »

femme-fetale-for-hire
(slow jazz music playing in the background)
"There she was. The most beautiful fetus that has ever graced this sorry excuse for a bar. I could spend hours staring into her underdeveloped eyes. But she didn't come here for leisure - she meant business, and I was soon to find out I was part of the deal."
(title screen rolls in)
THE FETAL BLOW

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 11, 2023, 09:46:35 am »

...not the only problem with that splurge (not least that it was a splurge)... Though I do actually recall staring at that exact phrase, thinking that something was off; however, it was the -"ale" that I put most of my focus on, before deciding I was definitely right about that. Meh. Close, but no cougar!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 11, 2023, 10:22:48 am »

Don't bleat yourself too much about it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 11, 2023, 01:08:15 pm »

Femme Fecale
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 11, 2023, 01:09:14 pm »

An oxymoron! Everyone knows women don’t poop.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1316 on: September 12, 2023, 03:56:49 pm »

Youtube just recommended me this pretty good comparison of the Thing 1982 vs the Thing 2011. It's thoroughly spooky however how yt knew to recommend me this a mere day after talking about the thing

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 12, 2023, 04:03:55 pm »

I'll do you one better.

I started replaying Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2 with a friend for a couple weeks. Did a few Google searches for Xenoverse 2 stuff.

Then all of the sudden I start getting Dragonball Z meme and art pages recommended to me on FB.

Couple years ago someone's Hey Google was turned on while their phone was in their pocket. We were standing around talking about teeth I think, when their phone started making noises and Google had pulled up a bunch of relevant searches.

C O N S U M E.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 12, 2023, 04:42:20 pm »

Eh, I get adverts for scrubs because my wife works in healthcare, and adverts in Spanish because I watched Spanish streams of the Men’s World Cup a few years ago.

The video was certainly an interesting look at things, thanks for linking to it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 12, 2023, 05:19:16 pm »

Youtube just recommended me this pretty good comparison of the Thing 1982 vs the Thing 2011. It's thoroughly spooky however how yt knew to recommend me this a mere day after talking about the thing
The analysis is alright. Some well made observations.
What's even better, though, is the short story that was recommended in one of the comments - retelling the movie from the point of view of the Thing. By Peter Watts. Won some awards, apparently. Never heard of it before. But then again, I don't read much these days.
https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
About an hour's worth of commitment, I'd say. Although I did lose the sense of time a bit there. Excellent SF, IMO.
I like how it (cough) incorporates some of the flimsier plot points from the film - like the 'amazing' computer simulation scene.

FWIW, that video was also being recommended to me for a last few weeks, so it's probably just trending rather the Googlesaurus being telepathically cheeky-peeky.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 05:21:34 pm by Il Palazzo »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 96