Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132293 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1290 on: August 15, 2023, 02:44:30 pm »

It is?

I found it to be the most enjoyable Marvel movie in the past several years. It's still late stage Marvel with all the baggage that entails, but there's enough Gunn in there to make it enjoyable. It has issues, sure, but for the most part it's a pretty damn good summer flick.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 24, 2023, 05:07:41 am »

Having just watched some movies starred by Chaplin,it is novel for me to get to see such an interesting actor who blending comedy elements with philosophical thinking, I wanted to know something about him in the westerner’s heart , how do you think about him and his movies?
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 24, 2023, 05:26:25 am »

Charlie Chaplin?

I quite like what I've watched of Charlie Chaplin's movies. If it's any other Chaplin I have no idea if he's good or not.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 24, 2023, 05:33:12 am »

Charlie Chaplin, like most stars of his era, is largely forgotten. Many people would recognize him on sight, and his famous "tramp" character has shown up in advertisements, but he isn't really on most people's radars. He is most well known via association with Adolf Hitler, both because they had the same mustache and (more importantly) because one of Chaplin's most famous roles (The Great Dictator) is a vicious mockery of Hitler that ends with what amounts to a call to arms.

The closest modern equivalent in the West is Mel Brooks, I think.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 24, 2023, 07:01:55 am »

At one time, Chaplin was probably the most recognised figure, worldwide (or close to it), helped by that era of films being both pre-sound[1] and relatively short-format. And physical comedy is near-universal, although perhaps some places wouldn't look kindly upon "the little man, battling against authority" and couldn't tolerate it.

Unlike some other silent movie stars, he also perhaps made a decent foray into the time of talkies. His main problem, I suspect, were his politics, falling foul of the right-wing juggernaut that swept the US (McCarthyism, etc) which he attacked in film just as he had (before it was fashionable!) railed against Naziism itself.

Effectively banished from the US (being an immigrant, which didn't help), he effectively was barred from the major locus of the film industry for the English-speaking world, and the non-English world now had available the whole talking-movie technology so that 'local Hollywoods' would now move on and develop their own character (and characters, i.e. major new and fresh stars and starlets) leaving nowhere much to go except for 'retiremement'. He didn't get as lucky as Disney, say, bumbling along just well enough to create a legacy and then a vast coorporation to sustain and develop it well beyond his era.

(Also he had some questionable choices of personal relationships, which was just grist to the mill for those already politically misaligned to his 'messages'. Not that he was the only one, or the worst, but it didn't combine well.)

I don't know if I'd say that without Chaplin we wouldn't have had the same development of the industry... If not him, then any one of a number of others could have been the equivalent (Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd were potentials, and who knows how many others could have taken his place; even fellow immigrant Stan 'Laurel' Jefferson, give or take a few years to get settled). But his transcience was probably inevitable anyway, as time wore on, film stock wore out and fancy new movie-making techniques (sound, colour, 3D, CGI, motion-capture, etc) created and fed different tastes that were far away from his slapstick comedy speciality (and weaving in and out of his 'social conscience' auxilliary theme).

Still, the "against overwhelming authority" theme aside, I'm surprised that they aren't somewhat more well-known in China than our friend thinks. And they could be spun (by creatively 'translated' cue-cards/editing) to support even an authoritarian viewpoint. c.f. Norman Wisdom (who Chaplin himself called his "favourite clown") who was explicitly permitted/encouraged to be shown in Albania, Iran and other countries around the world, where most most 'western' output was outright banned.

But, of course, cross-cultural blockbusting is a fairly new thing. Inbetween the time when previous few feet of celluloid were shown, so of course you'd have to be entertained by whatever films were made available, and the current time of just about every film with giant sentient robots having to shoe-horn at least a CGI-enhanced visit to one or other east-Asian location (to try to get it to sell in the appropriate market), there was little room for what remained of The Little Tramp, and his variations.

Mel Brooks is indeed a good example of who might have earned the clown-crown, in the interim (I'd suggest Leslie Nielsen as another example, though he started as a serious actor), having been both front-of-screen and behind-the-scenes creator of many classic (more-)modern era pieces that aren't yet necesarily as irrelevent or anachronistic to modern eyes.

I regret to say that I've probably not seen any Chaplin for many a year, though probably more because nobody has been showing it than because I've been only seeking out other things. Availability and (perceived?) popularity, vs. any given network already having access to most of the James Bond, Harry Potter and/or Marvel franchises ready to show, if they want to fill a particular scheduling slot with film (and, if they can't do that, some cheapo online-marketting slot pandering to the graveyard-slot viewers). And I'm not enough of an afficionado to already have every last remastered Blu-Ray compilation they've ever released of his films (or of anything).

Notwithstanding that his output is notably dated and diluted by the sheer mass of the greater part of a century of other possible things to see, though, I think that I would view something of his, in a heartbeat, if the option to do so came up at the right moment. Modern Times/Great Dictator 'full fat' or any number of shorts. Who doesn't like an overly officious policeman being kicked in the fundement after a 'slight misunderstanding' arising from an issue of vagrancy and an unpaid bill in a frankly unhygenic pot-shop? (But also when you know that The Kid was once him, and what the real-world analogues of Hynkel would inflict upon the real-world likes of the Barber, there's still social mileage in the tales as well.) I only regret that I'm not going to right away poke around to seek something out. By the time there's opportunity, I'm probably going to be distracted by the latest (or earliest that I still need to see) Jason Reacher/Jack Wick/John Bond/James Bourne/whatever.

[1] Not needing dubbing/subtitles. Any actual dialogue-'cards' replacable by whatever suited the locals. And for those not (correctly-)literate, the visual acting did most of the heavy lifting anyway.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 24, 2023, 07:17:58 am »

Buster Keaton and the Three Stooges came to mind as comparisons, as did the Marx Brothers, but zhijinghao was impressed by the combination of "comedy and philosophy". That's something that is harder to find, and harder still to execute cross-culturally. Monty Python does some of it, but Monty Python largely sucks. Kubrick pulled it off with Dr. Strangelove, but I think I remember China having issues with that film (though I could be wrong). Mel Brooks is the best fit I could think of.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 25, 2023, 04:54:42 am »

The old Vaudeville and slapstick stuff is the kind of comedy I prefer, also I've always liked Monty Python and have never figured out why other people hate it, guess it's one of those love it or hate it things.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 25, 2023, 07:07:04 am »

The old Vaudeville and slapstick stuff is the kind of comedy I prefer, also I've always liked Monty Python and have never figured out why other people hate it, guess it's one of those love it or hate it things.

Do you like Monty Python, or do you like the small handful of very popular bits that got distilled out of their general morass and passed around? They were a very prolific group for decades, and yet it seems like 90 percent of what people who "like Monty Python" reference is Holy Grail, some bits from Life Of Brian, and the Cheese Shop sketch.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 25, 2023, 09:12:51 am »

If so, it's because they haven't seen the sketches, not because the sketches are not hilarious. You humourless plebeian, you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 25, 2023, 09:16:05 am »

Probably a question of age or generation.

All i know for sure is that when i was young the regularly aired Monty Python's Flying Circus was absolutely hilarious.
Hard to believe there are people that disliked that type of humour.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 25, 2023, 10:59:34 am »

Do you like Monty Python, or do you like the small handful of very popular bits that got distilled out of their general morass and passed around? They were a very prolific group for decades, and yet it seems like 90 percent of what people who "like Monty Python" reference is Holy Grail, some bits from Life Of Brian, and the Cheese Shop sketch.
hello, I'd like to have an argument.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 25, 2023, 11:43:02 am »

hello, I'd like to have an argument.
No you wouldn't.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 25, 2023, 11:50:45 am »

Yes I would!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 27, 2023, 09:26:22 am »

I like all of the stuff the guys from Monty Python did, The Flying Circus, the movies, the shows they did before they joined together and became Monty Python, and the stuff they did after.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 09, 2023, 03:55:18 pm »

I watched The Thing, prequel to the movie, The Thing.

So the 1982 version is one of my favourite films so it was unlikely to ever live up to that standard, but it felt like it and added its own little bits to it that were sufficiently entertaining that it was enjoyable.

I did find myself for some reason really getting into the “test” scene, and it remained consistent to that throughout, and there was a very subtle scene toward the end related to it that I really liked too, just to remain spoiler-free and super vague.

CGI was generally awful, but it got a little better as the movie went on, plus they remembered to lead it into the 1982 version, and there were a handful of hints as to that opening scene made throughout too, which I appreciated.

All in all, not a hearty recommendation, but if you liked the 1982 version, or horror in general, you should give it a watch.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 96