Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132340 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1110 on: April 27, 2021, 02:20:57 am »

It's been a while, but I seem to recall Warlock 3 feeling like it was made by a crew of college students on a budget of $12. Which I suppose makes sense for the tail end of running a series into the ground.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

McGee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 28, 2021, 07:05:13 am »

Meanwhlie we watched all the Warlock movies this weekend.

Warlock 1 is still great. I'm kinda amazed how well it holds up. Great villain, who gets to be a real villain while being both powerful and vulnerable. Interesting story, cool magic, a real witchey Satanic vibe to the whole movie, fun characters and real heart in the writing.

Warlock 2 kinda blows. The villain goes from a villain to a Terminator-esqe monster minion despite being the same character. His personality becomes completely placid. His big line when he kills people is "Thank you very much." The movie is dragged down by shitty leads and a dumb story about druid powers. It plods and plods and plods along with too much exposition and a twist that isn't interesting other than it means the hero and heroine are actually committing incest?

Warlock 3 is just a stupid haunted house movie featuring a pack of unlikeable college kids, a Warlock whose ultimate aim is to summon a demonic girlfriend for themselves and painfully awkward T&A scenes. His magic is stupid, almost everything is about manipulating stupid college students in the lamest ways psychologically and emotionally, and honestly....the worst part is THE ONLY PERSON THAT ACTUALLY DIES BY THE END IS THE WARLOCK.

edit

After confirming with my colleagues, the druids in Warlock 2 are not brother and sister, and while you only see one of the college kids die in Warlock 3, she does leave the house alone which implies they all actually died.

I remember this series of films. He's gorgeous in his own way. But, like any sequel, it is worse than the original. Seeing such a trend, sometimes the question arises - what would happen next. How much worse could it be

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 28, 2021, 05:52:07 pm »

How much worse could it be

This seems to be the driving force behind the Scorpion King. A series so great, so honorable, so high-profile, that over the course of 5 movies the protagonist inexplicably changes into a completely different person 3 times because they couldn't find anyone willing to stick around for another film.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 29, 2021, 11:41:21 pm »

WTH, there are FIVE Scorpion King movies?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 30, 2021, 05:55:41 am »

WTH, there are FIVE Scorpion King movies?

I'm so sorry you had to find out like this.

The latest one came out in 2018.

There's also a video game.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 30, 2021, 06:44:24 am »

You forget the three Scorpion King spinoffs, the Mummy I, II, and III
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 30, 2021, 10:00:27 am »

Also a reboot is in development
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 01, 2021, 12:56:22 am »

I thought the scorpion king was a spinoff of the mummy, and why make five scorpion king moves the first one wasn't that good.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 01, 2021, 05:01:49 am »

Well the first two Scorpion King spin-offs (Mummy I and II) did very well so they thought it had a lot of potential. The third wasn't as good but might have still done decently financially so they probably thought they could still do more with the core series.
Love, scriver~

Bobbop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 22, 2021, 06:09:33 am »

Recommend some horror movie??

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 22, 2021, 06:31:39 am »

Jeepers Creepers is all I can recall watching, 'cause that thing scared the living lights out of me as a kid.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1121 on: June 22, 2021, 06:40:21 am »

Jeepers Creepers is all I can recall watching, 'cause that thing scared the living lights out of me as a kid.
Haha yeah that was a fun one to watch as a kid, that bit with skin flappy wing terrified me to no end

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 22, 2021, 08:24:54 am »

Braindead, directed by Peter Jackson.   

Or, I recently watched Blue Sunshine which was pretty sweet. Very unusual, to me at least.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 22, 2021, 10:44:28 am »

Braindead, directed by Peter Jackson.
For a moment I read that as Bad Taste, which of course is not (or certainly less of) a Horror genre. Just realised my mental mix-up.

I'm almost certain I've got Braindead on Betamax tape, stashed away gathering dust.  I took a Betamax recorder and assorted tapes (prerecorded, posdibly some pirated, some may have been (ex?)rental copies) off the hands of a friend who was moving in with a girlfriend, to complete the classic trifecta of formats. (I had inherited a VHS machine already, having started off with the much superior Video2000 one.) It certainly hasn't been watched since the late '90s. I don't supposed Peter Jackson did anything bigger since then, right?  ;D

(Horror's not really my bag, without doing double-duty with comedy, sci-fi or something else that grabs me as a genre. I think the last thing I saw just on the promise of being Horror was Wishmaster, which - ironically - I remember quite distinctly as being laughable. Not my recomendation, but other than that it's got to be the usual '80s era 'classics' or the earlier Scary Movies set if you don't mind the parody part.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 22, 2021, 11:01:12 pm »

What are you into?

Last Days on Mars (people die on Mars) and Dog Soldiers (squad movie about werewolves) spring to mind as high-quality options, but Horror is a vast and silly genre.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 96