Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132310 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1065 on: September 10, 2020, 01:37:51 am »

Anybody have recommendations on comedies adjacent to Baby Mama? It's not my normal cup of tea and is a bit low brow for Tina Fey's usual stuff, but my wife loved it.

IDK that genre too well. Maybe Juno, or Little Miss Sunshine or something.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 10, 2020, 07:11:11 pm »

The Dune trailer looks good.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 13, 2020, 03:30:02 am »

A friend pointed out that as the Dune book series progresses, it makes the point that having a singular leader in power is always a bad decision, even if the ruler is good. I only read the first one, which seemed pretty pro-Atreides - but he pointed out that it might be a topical point to drive home in the films, as the US and other countries suffer from having a very powerful fool in charge.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 13, 2020, 03:19:11 pm »

So your friend wants to hijack the remake of a beloved classic for current political purposes?

Beat him with a newspaper.

Heatstroke (2008) (and boy are there a lot of movies named that) is a SyFy Original. Everything about it is dumb, monsters eat people on an island, and the CGI is a lesson in comedy. The actual textures and such are alright, but their placement over the live action parts is a little... off. There's one scene where they literally just bounce it up and down like an action figure, it's amazing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 14, 2020, 06:49:17 am »

SYFY originals are some of the cheapest made things but they're also some of the more entertaining movies, probably not in the way the people that made them intended but it doesn't matter much because they still get the paid.

Also I think I've watched most of them and they are just all over the place in terms of quality some are decent and others are just crap.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 14, 2020, 08:07:27 am »

A friend pointed out that as the Dune book series progresses, it makes the point that having a singular leader in power is always a bad decision, even if the ruler is good. I only read the first one, which seemed pretty pro-Atreides - but he pointed out that it might be a topical point to drive home in the films, as the US and other countries suffer from having a very powerful fool in charge.

I know that movies are a disposable medium these days but putting le drumpf commentary in your movie is giving it a milk tier shelf life.

Also it's not as if trump appeared one day and we decided to elect him, this disaster has been a long time coming and represents all kinds of slow-burn failures coalescing.  We're not suffering from having a very powerful fool as much as a very powerful fool is the most visible symptom of systemic rot in pretty much every part of the whole.  That's why Biden's winning even though almost nobody wanted him at the outset.  He represents a return to "normal" i.e. back when the rot hadn't burst through the surface and we could all pretend it wasn't there.

I haven't even seen the dune trailer, I only watch bad movies.
Shoes...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 14, 2020, 10:26:45 am »

I took it more as - maybe the presidency was a bad idea and it's been spiralling out of control for a while.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 14, 2020, 01:09:52 pm »

I know that movies are a disposable medium these days but putting le drumpf commentary in your movie is giving it a milk tier shelf life.

That's why you should always code issues in the most abstract way possible. That way people years later will go "omg so relevant".

Consider that conservatives interpret the rebels in Star Wars as being right wing while liberals interpret the rebels in Star Wars as being left-wing. "power is bad" is general enough that people will interpret that loosely enough to be "topical" without any obvious references.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/06/06/star-wars-is-the-ultimate-conservative-morality-tale/

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 28, 2020, 01:15:41 am »

Re-watched Two Hands yesterday.   
Still a great crime film on its own merit, still a fascinating look at bogandom a couple of decades ago - as well as some timeless aspects of Australian culture that persist to some degree to this day. Or Sydney, at least. I'm hardly an expert, though. When this movie was made I would have been just a few years old, and I'm pretty sure even then I knew Sydney as a place best avoided. :P   
Great performances from Bryan Brown and Heath Ledger, too, as well as that other guy. And the other other guy who played that one guy, great character that one. And what's-her-name, Rose Byrne or some such? Actually you know what, in my opinion it was just well-acted in general.   
Yes, even the really annoying characters. Maybe especially them.   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:17:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 05, 2020, 05:15:05 am »

Just watched The Devil All The Time. Holy shit.

Every single actor brought their A-game. The violence and death was genuinely uncomfortable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: October 05, 2020, 06:52:50 am »

Just watched Knives Out - I'm late to the game.

I rather enjoyed it, especially as a fan of mystery novels. It was well written and well directed even if I'm not a huge fan of Rian Johnson

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: October 05, 2020, 07:04:46 am »

Every single actor brought their A-game. The violence and death was genuinely uncomfortable.
I've had it on my radar for a while now. But I worry it might be an unapologetic downer. One that can be admired for its craftsmanship, but with little satisfaction to give, while requiring major intestinal fortitude to sit through and digest.
So, is it like that? Or does it throw you a bone here and there?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: October 05, 2020, 05:15:31 pm »

Oh it's depressing as shit. BUT, you will be cheering at certain points, probably.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: October 05, 2020, 07:40:59 pm »

Yeah, I liked it too. Not sure if it was all that memorable, though - I feel like as a book adaptation they may have been sort-of rushing from one plot point to another. With most of the characters it really felt like we were just scratching the surface and there was far more depth to them that we didn't get to see - which I guess isn't such a bad thing, sometimes.   

My thought as I watched it was, "forget murder ballads, if this film was a piece of music it'd be a whole dang murder symphony".   

Also I kinda had to laugh at the whole
part. Like, damn. I probably agree with the content of your spoiler, too.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: October 10, 2020, 07:23:06 am »

Dune got delayed by nearly a year - which is bonkers.

Anyway, anyone got some good horror movies that are oft-missed? I'm in a real spooky mood lately.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 96