Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132236 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1005 on: June 16, 2020, 10:40:09 am »

I watched The Prestige.

There isn't really anybody to root for in that movie, is there... so it makes sense nobody won.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 17, 2020, 01:11:44 am »

Recently watched The Last Emperor. Much better than expected.

Can also recommend Queen and Slim.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 22, 2020, 03:09:05 pm »

Joel Schumacher has just died!
I shall watch the wacky 90s Batman movies in your honor.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 24, 2020, 12:49:14 pm »

Watch 8mm, it got a bad rap but it's great.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 24, 2020, 12:52:04 pm »

Watch 8mm, it got a bad rap but it's great.

I remember quite liking this for being actually scary back when I first watched it, but that was a great many years ago. Not sure how much the moments of ham ruin the overall commentary now.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 24, 2020, 09:45:51 pm »

Just watched Underwater, the Kristen Stewart movie set on a drilling rig.

It sucked.  There's some cliche, unearned character stuff but aside from that the movie just kind of sprints along through horror movie setpieces without any kind of backbone to really support it.  It's already slipping from my memory aside from the biggest moments.

Also Cthulhu shows up at the end and they blow him up.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 24, 2020, 09:48:43 pm »

Serves him right for liking 8mm.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 24, 2020, 09:54:52 pm »

To that I say go to heck.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 28, 2020, 07:11:42 pm »

Ok, that Mandy film. Not what I was expecting.
I thought it would be a mostly conventional revenge slasher, inflected with moody weirdness.
But it's pretty much start to finish a constant drug-infused hallucination going from good trip, to bad trip, to descent into madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 28, 2020, 09:30:12 pm »

The other night I watched that new Will Ferrell movie, Eurovision: the Story of Fire Saga, or whatever it's called.   
Despite having basically zero interest in Eurovision or the trashy music that it tends to feature, I actually really enjoyed it.   

Another surprise was that Jumanji reboot, which I watched last night and always expected to be pretty bad, being a remake (sequel?) of a classic and all (even if I barely remember said classic). In actual fact, it was pretty sweet. Like, bookended with fairly standard feel-good, coming-of-age nonsense, but what's in between is great. Especially Jack Black's role, but no spoilers.   

Aaaaand finally, just now I watched Bottom of the World, a psychological thriller that's been floating around on my Netflix watch list for years now.   
At first it seemed really low-budget and lame, but stay with it. The movie comes into its own later on, das all I'm saying. Probably not like, an all-time-favourite, life-changing film or anything, but it had style and kept me guessing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 29, 2020, 05:38:54 am »

Ok, that Mandy film. Not what I was expecting.
I thought it would be a mostly conventional revenge slasher, inflected with moody weirdness.
But it's pretty much start to finish a constant drug-infused hallucination going from good trip, to bad trip, to descent into madness.

Ain't it just swell? : D

Another surprise was that Jumanji reboot, which I watched last night and always expected to be pretty bad, being a remake (sequel?) of a classic and all (even if I barely remember said classic). In actual fact, it was pretty sweet. Like, bookended with fairly standard feel-good, coming-of-age nonsense, but what's in between is great. Especially Jack Black's role, but no spoilers.   
Now watch the reboot sequel and enjoy Danny DeVito: The cute Asian catburglar chick!

As for Eurovision movie, the trashy music and absurdly cheesy accoutrements are exactly why I would be interested in seeing a movie about it! ...however, Will Ferrell tends to make me somewhat nauseous whenever he's on-screen, so I'm conflicted.

Always had a bit of a crush on Rachel McAdams though...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:58 am »

Now watch the reboot sequel and enjoy Danny DeVito: The cute Asian catburglar chick!
Ahahaha, jesus.   
Though I don't think anyone could pull off that sort of thing as well as Jack Black did.   

As for Eurovision, well, it's a Will Ferrell movie where he isn't just being Will Ferrell, ya know? I definitely reckon you could fight down your nausea well enough to enjoy the film. Also I'm not sure what I've thought of Rachel McAdams in the past but I really liked her in this.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 29, 2020, 11:22:12 am »

Recently watched The Last Emperor. Much better than expected.
The one from the ... 80s?  I remember watching that quite often as a kid.  Even though I did't really understand the politics of it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 29, 2020, 02:00:11 pm »

Deep Shock (2003) is a thing featuring horrible CGI and electric sea eels. Which are actually magic wish-granting dragons, long story. It follows the "evil corporation/government does the most incompetent thing possible dealing with scary things while a brave scientist actually fixes the problem by studying it" model. Accordingly the good guys are eel collaborators, which is actually pretty weird in this case because spoilers. Have I mentioned the planet is going to start flooding soon?

It's not a good movie, but it's definitely a funny movie.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 30, 2020, 03:43:41 am »

It's not a good movie, but it's definitely a funny movie.
My favorite kind! Oooh, a solid 2.9 on IMDb... Going to have to check that out.

Ahahaha, jesus.   
Though I don't think anyone could pull off that sort of thing as well as Jack Black did.   
Yep, that's what my friends said too!

...then we went to the theater with some travel mugs of wine, and saw the sequel.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 96