Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132225 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #795 on: February 12, 2020, 02:38:43 pm »

IIRC the original serum was destroyed with the death of its creator, what they had was a shoddy copy or something. Like, it worked, kinda, but nowhere near as good as the original.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 12, 2020, 04:50:47 pm »

IIRC the original serum was destroyed with the death of its creator, what they had was a shoddy copy or something. Like, it worked, kinda, but nowhere near as good as the original.

I thought it was that they had a stock, but no recipe. Maybe they thought that part of the mixture was blasting people right in the face with gamma rays, using bleeding edge modern technology that they definitely had in the 1940's?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 12, 2020, 07:21:35 pm »

Aside from being very dumb, MCU is also not great at internal consistency. ...

I was having a discussion about the MCU actually with a guy at work, about how many of the viewers actually read the comics, he thought it must be 50:50, i.e half of the movie-goers read the comics. I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than that. For example, in January 2019 the top-selling Marvel comic was Captain Marvel, due to the movie, and that sold 119000 copies. The movie made over $1 billion dollars worldwide. Assuming a generous cost of $20 a ticket, then that's 50 million people who went to see it, or about 500 tickets sold per comic sold.

The guy just didn't get how the MCU has been so successful precisely by not targeting the comic book fans. Actually, those "why don't they just stick to what's in the comics?!?" people don't get it either. They're raking in $1 billion per dumb movie, and most of y'all aren't buying the comics. They have a formula, and it's working. Why would they mess that up?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:27:22 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 12, 2020, 07:32:53 pm »

"why don't they just stick to what's in the comics?!?"
Still waiting for the spider-man movie where Peter Parker has to cope with how he killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spunk
Or a movie where he has six arms
Or one where he gives birth to himself
Or one where he fights Big Wheel
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 12, 2020, 10:34:26 pm »

Aside from being very dumb, MCU is also not great at internal consistency. ...
The guy just didn't get how the MCU has been so successful precisely by not targeting the comic book fans. Actually, those "why don't they just stick to what's in the comics?!?" people don't get it either. They're raking in $1 billion per dumb movie, and most of y'all aren't buying the comics. They have a formula, and it's working. Why would they mess that up?

Yeah, that's why instead of saying they were going with established canon, I said they were trying to establish a new canon.

Ignoring the comics if fine, but if you can't make up your mind about what you want while claiming it's all one story, you're doing a bad job of storytelling.

"why don't they just stick to what's in the comics?!?"
Still waiting for the spider-man movie where Peter Parker has to cope with how he killed Mary Jane with his radioactive spunk
Or a movie where he has six arms
Or one where he gives birth to himself

Agreed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:56 am »

Speaking of which, I just watched Birds of Prey. Was fun enough, entertaining... Definitely not the dramatic masterpiece of the year, but it was good dumb fun. I'm kinda sad about how they did my man Zsasz, but I guess that's just showbiz.

It certainly did the "battle of the sexes" thing a lot better than Captain Marvel. It occasionally seemed like it laid it on a little thick, but I think that likely has a lot to do with how sensitive we all are to the topic these days.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 13, 2020, 08:02:59 am »

Speaking of which, I just watched Birds of Prey. Was fun enough, entertaining... Definitely not the dramatic masterpiece of the year, but it was good dumb fun. I'm kinda sad about how they did my man Zsasz, but I guess that's just showbiz.

It certainly did the "battle of the sexes" thing a lot better than Captain Marvel. It occasionally seemed like it laid it on a little thick, but I think that likely has a lot to do with how sensitive we all are to the topic these days.

But it is a terrible movie, as it reminds us of Suicide Squad.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 13, 2020, 11:11:06 am »

Literally the greatest villain ever written. /s
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 13, 2020, 01:20:36 pm »

Literally the greatest villain ever written. /s
I see you're unfamiliar with THE WALL!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 13, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »

The Wall wasn't the enemy, Pink was his own enemy the whole time
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 14, 2020, 01:09:41 pm »

Has anyone else heard/read about a new Mario movie coming out in the future?

Also, that it will probably not retain the only acceptable part of the first movie?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Worse news, Mario will not be played by Captain Lou.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:14:21 pm by Iduno »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 14, 2020, 01:15:41 pm »

I know its being made by Illumination, the Despicable Me animation studio so it's gonna end up as kinda meh 6/10 fare with massive profit margin because its made on the cheap

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 14, 2020, 01:50:31 pm »

I know its being made by Illumination, the Despicable Me animation studio so it's gonna end up as kinda meh 6/10 fare with massive profit margin because its made on the cheap

Then they should at least aim for "actors need to be constantly drunk to deal with the shame of being in this movie" quality instead. If they want good, they're going to have to put in a lot of effort to make the story of some dude jumping on turtles to kidnap a princess interesting. They'd have to do a lot better than the cliché noir take on the idea of Mario getting addicted to power-ups and destroying his life so bad in pursuit of the Princess that she can't stand to be near him.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 14, 2020, 01:57:24 pm »

Instead Mario is gonna floss and do other Fortnite dances because that's what the fellow kids are into these days

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 14, 2020, 02:15:59 pm »

I'm at least confident that it won't be Richard-Simmons-CG-Sonic levels of bad.

Speaking of which, have any reviews for the Sonic movie started trickling out yet?  They made him less terrifying to look at but the movie still can't be good.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 96