Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 96

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 132245 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #780 on: February 10, 2020, 06:06:52 am »

I get so hyped up reading your posts in this thread, IronyOwl. Those all sound fucking glorious.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 10, 2020, 08:21:41 am »

Those sound like things I'll need to see at some point, as I also enjoy the old 50s horror and scifi movies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 10, 2020, 01:32:39 pm »

Aw, thanks guys. :P

The two 50s ones really were boring though. I dunno how you make a Journey to the Center of the Earth type deal without monsters, but apparently they found a way.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 10, 2020, 01:46:49 pm »

Big boring drill = big boring movie
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 10, 2020, 02:01:08 pm »

You have to dig deep to sit through a movie like that.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 10, 2020, 10:00:17 pm »

Saw a couple of films in the past few weeks...

1917(2019)- Two world war 1 soldiers are tasked with walking a couple of miles. Saw this at the largest IMAX screen in North America. Size of the screen was absolutely massive (roughly 80ft tall by 100ft wide). But honestly, I thought the movie was a bit overhyped. The whole ‘single continuous shot’ thing is actually a lie. At one point the main character gets knocked out and there’s a time skip jump cut. Come on! I preferred Dunkirk, which I saw at the same venue a couple years earlier. Perfectly serviceable but not a mind blowing movie

The Lighthouse(2019)- Shot in black and white and in an aspect ratio used in the 30s. The Green Goblin and Edward Cullen lose their minds while tending a lighthouse as they try to survive on copious alcohol. Willem Defoe is absolutely great in this as a captain Ahab type salty old nautical type. Contains way more farting and masturbation than expected.

Parasite(2019)- Whacky class warfare movie. Yeah it also won Best Picture. Winding story with many different twists and turns. Better experienced if you know nothing about it.

I was ‘inspired’ by IronyOwl’s posts so I finally sat down and watched the dubious 50s  B-movie classic...
Robot Monster(1953)- Where do I begin with this? The titular ‘Robot Monster’ Ro-Man from the planet...Ro-Man is actually a sexually frustrated man in a fat gorilla costume wearing a diving helmet with TV antenna glued to the top. He’s suffering from a terminal case of ‘no costume budget’ His ‘high tech’ (we know it’s high-tech because it constantly emits soap bubbles) communication device blasts this incredibly annoying mosquito tone whenever it’s on. Ro-Man’s managed to kill all of humanity with his calcification death beams except for 8 people who were immune to the death ways because of super science antibiotics. Ro-Man’s supposed to kill them but instead he spends most of the movie paced back and forth in a cave or doing a power walk in the canyon this ‘movie’ is filmed in. You better get used to the repetitive ‘menacing’ theme that’s played whenever he shows up.  There’s also a poorly developed romance subplot and scenes with dinosaurs or something. Absolutely terrible film that pivots to hilarity because of how bad it is.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 11, 2020, 01:55:10 am »

Contains way more farting and masturbation than expected.
I need help gauging the metric here - how much farting and masturbation did you expect?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 11, 2020, 07:15:38 am »

Contains way more farting and masturbation than expected.
I need help gauging the metric here - how much farting and masturbation did you expect?
0 masturbation and maybe 1 fart

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 11, 2020, 01:56:02 pm »

I recommend The Brain From Planet Arous from 1957. One huge plot hole sticks out, though. On the other planet, they've evolved to be just brains, so the idea is that they didn't need their bodies. However once they're on Earth the plot is that the brain-people possess humans and use them to do the stuff they need to do. Seems like kinda a plot hole right there, unless they've also got spare bodies hanging around on Planet Arous, but in that case why did they evolve to just be brains?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 11, 2020, 02:15:57 pm »

Is it pronounced like "arousal"?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:50 pm »

More interesting character stuck on the deserted island: Tom Hanks or Wilson?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 11, 2020, 03:23:29 pm »

The darker question: Why did Wilson choose to drown rather than return to society with Hanksman?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:33 pm »

The darker question: Why did Wilson choose to drown rather than return to society with Hanksman?

"Wait, so I stuck with your increasingly-insane rambling the entire time you're on this island, and you're just going to go back to your family (who has probably given up on you by now) just when we've got this island thing mostly figured out? That's it, I'm done."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 11, 2020, 10:31:49 pm »

So I was in the mood for some good old fashioned Kung Fu, so I sat back and watched

Master of the Flying Guillotine(1976) - An old blind assassin who wields the Flying Guillotine (really a razor bladed hat attached to a chain that easily decapitates) seeks revenge after his two disciples are killed. Who killed his disciples? The One Armed Boxer, of course! Thus the evil blind master (we know he’s Buddhist evil because he’s wearing a swastika the whole time) goes on a killing spree targeting any one-armed person in China. (There’s more than you’d expect). Meanwhile there’s a martial arts tournament ,because of course there is, featuring a couple of notable ‘foreign’ fighters with unique styles. Pretty much a proto Street Fighter 2. One of the fighters is a Indian (Chinese guy in brown face) Yoga master with stretchy limbs. Pretty much over an hour of continuous 1 v 1 fight scenes. Dumb fun and apparently one of the movies homaged in Kill Bill.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 12, 2020, 02:33:38 pm »

Aside from being very dumb, MCU is also not great at internal consistency. I've made it to Avengers, and just learned that Dr. Banner's attempts to create an anti-radiation serum (which led to him being the Hulk) was actually an attempt to re-create the supersoldier serum from Captain America, even though they had more of the supersoldier serum in a tank that they used to create his opponent. I mean, if you're trying to create a new canon, at least try to keep it the same for more than one movie. It's pretty jarring when you watch the movies in a row.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 96